1911Forum banner

Kimber Super rimfire - slide sticks to the rear

877 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FuzzyMcnab 
#1 ·
I have a Kimber Super rimfire I bought new a year or so ago. When it works, it's great. Unfortunately, it has had it's share of issues. This one has me baffled. At my last steel challenge match, the slide began sticking in the rear most position. Not locking back, sticking at the fully rear position after firing or hand cycling. I assumed that grime was the issue, but after cleaning and oiling, there is still a problem. Any idea what to look at?

thanks, fuzzu

#2 ·
Complete Kimber pistol or the conversion slide on your frame? If complete pistol, it could be galling, running aluminum on aluminum. Look for rough areas on the rails that could indicate galling.
Another possibility is the slide is traveling too far when it recoils. Weak spring or missing buffer.

#3 ·
KP.
thanks for chiming in. I bought the gun complete as a custom shop pistol. I am familiar with galling, which is why i always run the gun a bit on the wet side.
I did inspect the rails to see any evidence of odd wear on them which I do not see. The spring looks good, and I am not sure why that would cause the gun to bind at maximum rearward travel, but I may be missing something. I would not say it has a buffer, just a solid spacer and guide piece that the recoil spring attaches to just under the chamber portion of the barrel.

thanks,
fuzzy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.