·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, baby!

Oh, baby!

Oh, baby!

Have I made myself clear?

It's beautiful. Fit and Finish were awesome, magnificent, gorgeous.
Brand new- took it out of the box, cleaned it, oiled it, named it Tammy (after my wife who is even more beautiful). Fired 50 rnds, 0 malfunctions. If I can get the Forum to let me upload the .jpg of the first 6 rounds, I will.

·
Banned
18 Posts
i was at my local indoor range last week, and noticed that the guy two lanes down from me was also shooting a Kimber Team Match II...

i pointed this out to him, and he said "hold on just a second" and went to his shooting bag... and pulled out another cased pistol...

he held up his Super Match and said "I win."

i agreed.

wonderful piece! we want to see the pics!

bc

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
More on the Kimber Supermatch II

I'm up to about 350 rounds through this gnarly, gorgeous beast. All FMJ ammo has functioned falwlessly.

PMC 230 grn FMJ- shoots tight groups at point of aim.

CCI Speer Lawman, 230(?) grn, FMJ- shot low

Federal Hydroshock, 230 grn, JHP- 3 F-t-Feeds out of 20 rounds.

At this time I don't consider the F-t-Feeds with hollowpoints an issue as this is my range gun. I don't intend to carry it for self-defense, mostly because I don't want this beauty sitting in a police evidence room should some dirtbag force me to end his criminal attack upon myself or another with justified use of force. Bad rumors of "lost" evidence and months of neglect bring shudders to my spine.

I put a Dawson Precision fiber-optic front sight on it. They are a little thinner than the stock front sight and have improved my shooting some. Love that glowing red dot.

I shot this group (standing, 2 handed, unsupported) of 25 rnds @ 15 yrds; 21 are in the bullseye (an oblong circle roughly 2"x3").

Text Shooting sport Sport venue Shooting Recreation

These are the images of the first shot (w/brass in air), first 6 shots on paper, my big ol' grin!

Shooting range Sport venue Shooting sport Shooting Practical shooting

Cool Photography Selfie

You can see our website at www.deadeye-shooters.com. It still under contruction. An artsy-fartsy picture I took is at http://www.deadeye-shooters.com/roscoe.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another 200 rnds- Zero Malfunctions

Kimber Supermatch- 550
Malfunctions- 0

Ran 200 more rounds 230 grn FMJ through the "beautiful beast." This was American Eagle. I was running mixed steel plates (8" circles and bowling pin shaped) I am not familiar with the trigger the way I was with my G23, though I had at least 5,000 through the G23

I did have a "F-t-Fire" but it was my fault- didn't fully insert the magazine after topping it off. :dope: It went "bang" and cycled but went "click" on the next trigger squeeze, the recoil shook the magazine about 2" out of the well so the round did not chamber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not posting images of my super-model wife shooting my Kimber in a string bikini...

It was 7 yds, the first day, the other images of targets are at the distances indicate by the file's name.

·
Registered
788 Posts
1911 .38 Super Kimber

PhoneCop, I've shot out of the bullet hole, it's a good place to shoot.
Now, my favorite Kimber is a .38 Super, and though I was firing +p ammo.
at the IDPA match I felt no pain in the wrists after the match.

Great gun, great caliber.

Another great purchase to look into down the road, would be a Warrior.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
one year later, give or take

Been getting ready to shoot the KSM-II more frequently. USPSA now has the single stack division and IDPA has the CDP division.

I employed it in an IDPA match a few weekends ago. No malfunctions of any kind. I managed to finish 5th out of 51 shooters, 2nd in the CDP division and won stage #4 outright. The match director allowed a guy with a USPSA open gun to shoot the match :)grumble: don't ask; I don't know; and I agree), and I even beat him :rofl:

Results here: http://www.texastactical.net/results/index.asp
password: tactical (It's the 12/23/06 IDPA match)

I wish I could duplicate that effort more often, it was a great run.

But this is a range report. Over the last year this is what has happened:

First, the ambi-thumb safety broke (MIM part) replaced it with an Ed Brown steel ambi.

Second, the ejector broker, the protruding arm, not the entire piece(MIM part). Replaced it with an Ed Brown, though I suspect it broke and the gun continuing to function w/o error. My gunsmith thought that likely. Replaced it anyways.

Currently there is a pin extending from my adjustable rear sight; on the right hand side, that holds the L-R adjustment in place. One day I just noticed it sticking out a little more than 1/16th of an inch. I can push it back in flush but after shooting it I observed the pin has worked it's way back out. It seems to stop there, no further. Not sure I'm gonna do anything about it at this time.

Replaced the slide stop release with a Wilson as it was MIM also and didn't want to risk it breaking sometime important. Call it a non-repair replacement. (Saw in another post the hammer was MIM, kinda frightening)

Long ago replaced the front sight with a Dawson fiber optic. Love it.

Other than some holster wear around the front of the slide and nicks around the ejection port (and a strange dent on the mag well- don't know how it got there), it looks great.

Still shoots like a dream. I had it loaded with Remington Golden Sabers (230 grn HP) until recently for in home emergency. I shot the 25 without malfunction. I also shot about 35 rnds of Speer Gold Dots (230 grn HP) without malfunction, those are now loaded in the beautiful beast. Both were spot on POA-POI. I've been experiencing an occassional F-t-Feed on the last round out of one particular magazine. Other than that I'm hard pressed to recall malfunctions. I've been shooting Walmart sold UMC 230grn FMJ without complaint.

Anyone want to comment on the slight up and down movement on my trigger? Should it be moving?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Phonecop congrats on owning a SMII those are some excellent guns. It really suprised me the parts you have had to replace I only know of 2 guys who frequent our range that have SM's (I'm hoping to be the 3rd one day lol) but they have not had any problems with breakage of the MIM parts one of the guns is only about 6 months old but the other fellow got his almost a year and 1/2 ago and he shoots it ALOT no problems as yet. The SM's are without a doubt some of the most accurate 1911's I have ever seen and the guy who I stated has had his approx 1 1/2 years is a monster of a shooter. The last time he got me to witness a group for him he ran the target out to 10 yards and shooting his own handloads he fired 8 rounds into the target, it was then that I realized why he wanted me to witness it. The entire 8 rounds went into what looked like one single (although slightly oblong) 45 cal hole. If it wasn't for standing there watching it happen I'd have thought he fired 2 rounds into the bullseye and then purposely thrown the rest off the target so as not to mess up his group LOL. Again congrats on owning such a great shooter be safe and enjoy that thing!:rock:

Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well please don't take this wrong as I am not trying to bad mouth your gun by any means (I'm a kimber guy thru and thru) But most of the 1911 guys suggest 500 rounds as a break in. For the price of a SMII I would say that ANY repair would be too many for the amount of rounds you have thru it but thats just my opinion. I realize that some parts are going to get thru inspection from time to time but my point is that the SMII is supposed to be Kimbers top of the line model (and from the one's I've seen it is) being such I would think that everyone that purchased them would expect not to have any failures with a minimal round count thru it. On the other hand guns are like anything else mechanical and things will break regardless of the measures you take. Either way you've got an excellent shooter that you have now made reliable so theres nothing left to do now but Enjoy that great shooting gun. Best wishes

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.