1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I am brand new to this forum and just purchased a Kimber Tactical Custom II. I was told that Kimber guns are of high quality and craftsmenship. I have attached some pictures of some of the flaws found on my Kimber. Any recommendations, advice, information, or any comments are greatly appreciated.

This picture shows the left side of the safety switch. You can see that the color is not uniform and looks as if the safety has the paint scratched off.

The second pictures shows a scratch wear the slide and the frame meets. The scratch is not deep, but does show.

The last picture shows marks left when the brass is ejected from the chamber.

I apologize for the poor quality pictures. Using the flash made it difficult to see the scratches since the flash washes out the contrast. If you have any advice to give, I would greatly appreciate it. I was thinking of contacting Kimber and see if they would exchange the safety switch for me. It is very noticable. The brass marks I can live with since the gun shoots fairly well. I've only shot about 300 rounds through the gun. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Was this a brand new gun? It looks as though it has been used before. I don't think you can blame that on Kimber, but rather the dealer. Did they say it was brand new? I have watched several dealers put guns in the safe at night and many of them just get stacked on top of one another. I bought one of my previous guns at a very LARGE outdoor shop and was there having breakfast one morning until the gun department opened. I was watching the salesmen put the pistols in the case. They were all stacked on top of one another. The pistol I bought from them had all kinds of wear marks. They used a Birchwood casey pen and touched it up and gave me a discount. The Compact CDP I purchesed the other week came from a different dealer. They keep their guns in their cases. That gun did not have a single scratch or flaw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. The gun was brand new, or seemed brand new. They had one out on display and the dealer went back to get me another one. The gun was in the blue Kimber ziplock bag. The brass marks were probably caused by me after I went to range. The slide scratch from the frame was probably caused by the same range session. The safety however, was discovered as soon as I got home. I didn't think much of it at the time, but it is too noticable to disregard.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
It's going to get a lot more marks on it than that if you keep shooting it.

ETA. Now that you've put 300rds. through it you'll have a hard time convincing the dealer or Kimber that you didn't scratch the safety.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Was this a brand new gun? It looks as though it has been used before. I don't think you can blame that on Kimber, but rather the dealer.

I think IrishOM has "hit the nail on the head". The root cause of your problem appears to have been caused by your dealer because of 1. poor handling, 2. and / or the gun isn't new.

I have a Custom TLE II, (essentially the same gun) and I can tell you that from my experience the finish wear on the thumb safety is normal from usage. I use it for both range and carry.

The wear marks that you show where the slide meets the frame are also normal. There have been other questions on this forum about the same problem and other forum members have chimed in to say that they have experienced the same wear in that area.

Your picture with the marks on top of the slide right behind the chamber is a new one for me. My TLE doesn't have those. I can't explain that one! Could it be rust and not brass marks? I kinda like the rust theory.

All in all, I have a tough time believing that your gun was shipped that way from Kimber. If your Custom II has the KimPro finish which is unlikely, over time some marks would eventually surface anyway. Even Wilson Combat has a disclaimer for their Armor-Tuff finish to say that wear marks will eventually appear because of usage.

My guess is that if you call Kimber to replace the thumb safety because of finish wear and not a malfunction issue, they won't send you a new one. But, you never know, it might be worth a shot.

Your pics are fine. You might want to try shooting just with available lighting in the future.

Good luck and let us know if you contact Kimber and what they say. :)

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
The brass marks on the slide can be removed by soaking a patch in Hoppes, let it sit on the slide for a few minutes and then scrub the marks off.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Two things:
You could get the Kimber replacement safety in Stainless Steel from Midway and that would handle that issue (would also give you a "dual tone" look that would be nice).

Watch to see if you have any problems with the slide going into full battery (completely closed). If you do then the brass hitting just behind the opening in the slide could be from an over-tight extractor. That's easy to fix if you are very careful as you do it (takes about three or four minutes).

I recommend - to everyone with a 1911 - the Kuenhausen "Colt .45 Automatic" manual. It has a lot of excellent information.

Wear on the safety: If it didn't come that way, it would be that way in a month of use. It's like the first ding on a new car. Very aggravating, but normal. :)

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I also bought a Tactical Ultra brand new that the finish on the ambi safety appeared to have been rubbed off prior to my getting it, this gun was bought from a dealer who had to order it from kimber for me, so I know was not a case of it stacked on top of other guns, etc. I had the dealer contact Kimber for me and they sent out a new ambi safety no questions asked, which i received in less than a week. I think that if you contact Kimber with problem, you will be happy with results. At least I was, good luck

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have seen several new Kimber Warriors that have the same problem. The safety looks worn even though it is brand new. Don't know why. There is also a couple of supposedly "new" warriors on the www.collectorsfirearms.com and you can see the same problem. Wierd. I would hope that Kimber would take care of that for you whether it is a function problem or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your comments and replies! I will contact Kimber regarding the safety. I will be more careful and inspect the firearm more closely next time. Thank you once again.

·
Registered
891 Posts
This pistol has been *** Gasp! *** fired! Sell it and buy another and leave it in the box! :biglaugh:

-- Chuck
Really, if you plan on using it, things will "wear", it gives it something I like to call character. My guns are well taken care of but they still look used. Marks are inevitable if you really use the thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right. It does give character.

I called Kimber earlier this afternoon and sent them some pictures. They will send me a new left side ambi safety soon! No questions asked. Great customer service!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I also forgot to mention, my Tactical is 6yrs old and my thumb safety is only slightly more worn than yours. My Grip safety though, is almost a grayish silver, I think it actually looks better that way. Too bad I'm replacing it with a high ride. It will look out of place for awhile. I was actually thinking of wrapping the new part in some denim and tumble it in the dryer, make it look like it's old.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Dust cover scratch on slide, brass marks, finish wear on thumb safety-
Yep, sounds like your 1911 has come to life and is no longer a museum piece:)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kimber Pro Carry II here, SAME marks on the slide, same marks of brass and my safety looks just like yours.

Normally. Don't like it, buy a new one and don't shoot it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If your gun is functioning fine then just relax at shoot it. It's going to get more wear marks on it unless you stop using it.
Tomcatt

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Dang...

Is it a shooter or a safe queen? If it is a shooter, don't worry about it....:confused:

Best regards,
Joseph

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
:) Black oxide finish on the safety. My Pro Raptor has the same finish on the saftey. I also looks just like your. Every mark on yours is a normal wear mark. If it functions, be glad and shoot the snot out of it. They are good guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts