1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering ordering a Kimber Tac Pro II 9mm 4". Just curious if anyone out there has one, and what your thoughts/experiences are with one. Any constructive input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good luck

I been wanting one for a while, but the 4in Kimber is not yet legal in California. I have a Eclipse Pro Target and it shoots 1in groups off hand at 7 and 10 yards, but I have to really focus. I want the 9mm so I can shoot it easier, since it should be softer hitting than the .45.

I can tell you you will get a soft shooting super accurate 1911 that can be bobtailed and upgraded to you're hearts content.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought a Tactical Pro II about three weeks ago. I've taken it out to shoot 4 times now and have put about 400 rounds of WWB FMJ through it and a few hollow points. The only failure has been to not lock open on an empty mag with Kimber mags. Only one of my 4 Kimber mags locks open 100% of the time. One of the Kimber mags won't even lock open racking the slide by hand. The Kimber will come with one Kimber mag. Buy Springfield mags for your extras. Springfield mags have an indentation in the front of the mag that keeps the follower in position, they do not use a spacer plate in the rear of the mag, they use Wolff springs, and are made by Metalform. My Springfield mags work 100% in the Kimber.

Otherwise the Tactical Pro II has been perfect. My wife & I have 2 full size Springfield Loaded 9mm's, a SA Micro Compact Loaded 9mm, an EMP, and a Kimber Ultra Aegis II, so I shoot 9's quite a bit. The Tactical Pro II is more accurate for me than any of the others. I was a bit surprised with that because the 2 full size SA Loaded pistols shoot pretty darn good. The Tactical Pro II seems to have a better balance to me. I group much better with it. The night sites are quite bright. The fit & finish is good. The extractor seems a bit loose if you slide an empty case under the claw, but it extracts well and ejects consistently about 7 feet to the right and a few feet to the rear so I have not messed with it.

So far I am very satisfied with the Tactical Pro II. The Ultra Aegis II has been my CCW, but if the Pro II keeps up the good work for another 600 rounds it may replace the Aegis for carry.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Buy Springfield mags for your extras. Springfield mags have an indentation in the front of the mag that keeps the follower in position, they do not use a spacer plate in the rear of the mag, they use Wolff springs, and are made by Metalform. My Springfield mags work 100% in the Kimber.
Wouldn't it be just as easy to buy Metalform's? Of course they're also Tripp's or Wilson of a host of other better quality mags.

One thing that come sup over and over, and I found also, many mags, the ones Kimber uses as well, the springs suck. I replaced the springs in my Kimber mags (even the brand new ones they sent me) with Wolff springs. They are much stiffer and the mags work flawlessly now.

Many people say the same about the springs in Wilson mags.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wouldn't it be just as easy to buy Metalform's? Of course they're also Tripp's or Wilson of a host of other better quality mags.

One thing that come sup over and over, and I found also, many mags, the ones Kimber uses as well, the springs suck. I replaced the springs in my Kimber mags (even the brand new ones they sent me) with Wolff springs. They are much stiffer and the mags work flawlessly now.

Many people say the same about the springs in Wilson mags.
Metalform makes the Springfield 9mm mag that has a built in feed ramp and a Colt 9mm mag that does not have that. I also think that only their Springfield mag has the indentation in the front. I ordered mags from them last week and that is what I understood. See their web page http://metalformcompany.thomasnet.com/viewitems/pistol-magazines/9mm-caliber?&forward=1

Wolff does not have springs for the Kimber mags that have the spacer plate, but does supply them for the Metalform Springfield mag. I ordered springs from Wolff last week too.

I was told that the Kimber 9mm mags are made by Checkmate.
http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

The main thing about 9mm mags is that many are a 38 super mag with a spacer plate added to fit the 9mm casing. The Metalform Springfield 9mm mag is designed specifically for the 9mm round. At least that is the info that I got from Metalform.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've had one (Tactical Pro II)for about 3 years. It's one of the pistols in my carry rotation. When I first bought it, there were some extraction issues. A quick adjustment of the extractor and it has been perfect since. It is extremely accurate and I enjoy shooting/carrying it. If there were one thing I could change it would be the serrations under the trigger guard, it doesn't bother me when shooting only in regard to new holster break in. Those serrations just grab the leather and when it's on a fairly tight belt on your waist it can make removing the pistol more difficult. Other than that a great pistol. :rock:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Here is a pic shortly after I bought it 3 years ago

·
Registered
29 Posts
I been wanting one for a while, but the 4in Kimber is not yet legal in California. I have a Eclipse Pro Target and it shoots 1in groups off hand at 7 and 10 yards, but I have to really focus. I want the 9mm so I can shoot it easier, since it should be softer hitting than the .45.

I can tell you you will get a soft shooting super accurate 1911 that can be bobtailed and upgraded to you're hearts content.
I'm in California and have a Kimber Pro Carry II HD in 9mm and it's awesome!

You've seen the pic on the this thread.

So, now you have no excuses! :D

I'm in the San Jose area...

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I been wanting one for a while, but the 4in Kimber is not yet legal in California. I have a Eclipse Pro Target....
How did you get an Eclipse Pro if 4" Kimbers aren't yet legal in R of K?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I saw one fired at the range a few weeks ago and it appeared to function and group very well - I'd buy one to teach a girl how to shoot a pistol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started wth Kimbers' CDP Pro II (45 ACP) I like the gun but wife didn't care for the recoil. I bought the Tacticle Pro (9mm) for her to shoot at the range. Unfortunately for her I found this gun to be much quicker to recover after a shot that it is now my favorite carry gun. Sorry wife ;-))))

·
Registered
289 Posts
Metalform makes the Springfield 9mm mag that has a built in feed ramp and a Colt 9mm mag that does not have that. I also think that only their Springfield mag has the indentation in the front. I ordered mags from them last week and that is what I understood. See their web page http://metalformcompany.thomasnet.com/viewitems/pistol-magazines/9mm-caliber?&forward=1

Wolff does not have springs for the Kimber mags that have the spacer plate, but does supply them for the Metalform Springfield mag. I ordered springs from Wolff last week too.

I was told that the Kimber 9mm mags are made by Checkmate.
http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm

The main thing about 9mm mags is that many are a 38 super mag with a spacer plate added to fit the 9mm casing. The Metalform Springfield 9mm mag is designed specifically for the 9mm round. At least that is the info that I got from Metalform.

Update on 9mm mag springs.... My Wolff mag springs for my Springfield mags came in Friday. They do fit the Kimber mags. They are the same width front to rear as the Kimber springs even though the Kimber mags have a spacer plate in the rear of the magazine. The Wolff spring coils are a larger diameter than the Kimber.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks yall for all of the info. Now I just have to sell my Glock 36 and S&W 6904 to raise some scratch to buy the Kimber! I have never seen one in a store, so I reckon I'll have to order one when the time comes. Thanks again everyone. As for the "kimber tac pro II 9mm, to teach a girl to shoot" comment, I'll respond by saying, Everyone has their own opinion, there is no magic bullet out there, and a 124 grain Gold-Dot will do it's job, providing I do mine.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
As for the "kimber tac pro II 9mm, to teach a girl to shoot" comment, I'll respond by saying, Everyone has their own opinion, there is no magic bullet out there, and a 124 grain Gold-Dot will do it's job, providing I do mine.
....and I'm sure there are plenty of LEO's and "girls" that would take exception to that strange comment too. :D :biglaugh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure I catch your drift SRJIM. I am a cop, and have been for about 8 years now. My agency issues Glock 22. It is a fine weapon, just not my personal choice when carrying off-duty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was told that at the gunshop.

I'm in California and have a Kimber Pro Carry II HD in 9mm and it's awesome!

You've seen the pic on the this thread.

So, now you have no excuses! :D

I'm in the San Jose area...
I was told the same thing that you get the 38 super and sent it back to Kimber to make a 9mm. I figured too much hastle, but seing yours I may do it. How much did they charge to make it 9mm?

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I'm not sure I catch your drift SRJIM. I am a cop, and have been for about 8 years now. My agency issues Glock 22. It is a fine weapon, just not my personal choice when carrying off-duty.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. By "strange comment", I was referring to the "kimber tac pro II 9mm, to teach a girl to shoot" comment. I was with you on the "***" side of Cook's comment. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10-4 SRJim, thanks for clarifying. Rather odd to me as well. Like I said B4, everyone has their own opinion. IMO, a Kimber Tac Pro II 9mm loaded with 124 Speer Got-Dots, anyone would be well armed for personal protection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts