1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a very slightly used Kimber Ultra Carry II in blue from my local dealer.

When I got it home today, I went to flip up the thumb safety and it fell off.

The metal actually sheared at the base of the safety near where the pin goes into the frame! A pic is attached to show where it broke.

I think my dealer and Kimber are going to take care of me -- other than losing the gun for a few weeks -- but its a little scary...

Anyone heard of this before?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
It's NOT a manufacturer or MIM issue...Shoot it another 500 rounds and it'll go away. ;)

I had the same thing happen in exactly the same place. I could see the fault with my bare eyes.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
No way you should be loosing your gun for "a few weeks" Kimber will ship the part to you or your dealer in a few days. You or a smith can install it in a few minutes. It does suck that it broke though. By the way, if you don't want another Kimber safety there are plenty of other manufactureres that can ship you a new part real fast.

G

·
Why would you want to put the same broke down part in there.

Do a search on the word broke or broken and Kimber comes up quite a bit. Slide stop's, safeties.........

I'd get ANY other brand than Kimber and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install.

You should not be without your pistol for "weeks" EVER, unless you're getting it refinished or something major.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Do have them send you a replacement and keep it in your shooting box for a spare. Buy a Wilson Bulletproof or Ed Brown Hardcore to use.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Its not that rare. Our range rental Colt had the same thing happen and that was with an Ed Brown safety which replaced the original Colt one when it broke. 2 weeks later, the safety on our rental Kimber did the same thing.

FWIW, Kimber won't take weeks to fix this if you want to send it back. On the other hand, they may send you a replacement if you tell them you know how to fit it. If you get one from Kimber, the chances are it will drop right in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hell, I had a bulletproof Wilson slide lock break, but have never had a problem with Kimber parts on many Kimbers I've owned. They all have their problems now and then. Don't buy into the hype that Kimber parts are junk. That's ludicrous.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kimber offered to send a new one, but said it would require "fitting" by a gunsmith.

I didn't want to pay a smith to do that and the dealer says he would rather send the gun back to Kimber.

Will a replacement safety necessarily "drop in"?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
FWIW, I've replaced 2 Kimber safeties (not on my guns) and both just dropped in as they came from the factory without any fitting of the lug to the sear.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Kimber probably says it requires gunsmith fitting because their lawyer says it does! You'll be okay to drop it right in. 1911s are like Legos! So easy to figure out!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G.,

The pin slid right out -- no problem. It is still in for the photo, as you can see.

No one told me a few weeks -- I am just assuming with shipping both ways, etc. Maybe not. I hope not.

So much for breaking her in this weekend!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts