Votes: 27 73.0%
  • External Extractor

Votes: 10 27.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I should get my Kimber TLE now while there are still internal extractors or wait and get one with an external extractor.

Please give the reasons for your opinions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The internal has worked fine for almost a century, why mess with it

·
Registered
504 Posts
Also, with ANY feature you KNOW is going away, get one now, because the quantity WILL be limited. The external extractor versions will be around for the foreseeable future, but the internals are going to become more valuable at some point; kind of like an artist's paintings being worth more after he's dead and there will never be another new one.:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
wilinaz said:
The internal has worked fine for almost a century, why mess with it
Black and White television worked great for many years also. Someone changed it...now we have color. It is different, but works, some say even better than the original.

Sorry. I couldn't hold back. I have the external extractor but all of my other guns (Glocks) had them as well. That is the norm for me, but I am not a collector or traditionalist either.

I am still not convinced the external extrator is not 100% fullproof as of yet, but I am not upset that my gun has one. FWIW the TLE RL is ONLY available with the external. That made my choice easy, because I didn't have one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just shot my Kimber Custom II today, with the internal extractor, and did not have one problem with it. I was, like you undecided before I purchased this gun, but after talking to the store guys, and guys that shoot them, They said that the internal was fine, and now that mine functions, I have to agree with them...
Although, I have met a guy that shoots a Team Match with the external, and he had to do some modifications to his to make it work. on a side note, his gun was one of the very first ones to have the external, and now that he has modified it, it works fine.
Dont worry about it, go with what looks and feels good to you at the time of the purchase. I was holding a Custom Stainless II with the external ext, and the blued Custom II with the internal when I was buying my gun. What do you know, I bought the standard Custom II blued with the internal ext... Go with what you feel at the time of the purchase. You could possibly have problems with anything you buy you know!!(murphy's law)

G

·
Both external and internal extractors function fine. I prefer the internal extractor because I do not like the look of external extractors on a 1911, but there is nothing wrong with an external, which has been proven quite reliable on HKs, Glocks and Sigs. To each his own. Kimber will eventually have to offer an internal extractor on the better selling models to maintain sales to the traditionalists, like myself, however.;)

·
Banned
855 Posts
samurai said:
Both external and internal extractors function fine. I prefer the internal extractor because I do not like the look of external extractors on a 1911, but there is nothing wrong with an external, which has been proven quite reliable on HKs, Glocks and Sigs. To each his own. Kimber will eventually have to offer an internal extractor on the better selling models to maintain sales to the traditionalists, like myself, however.;)
SAMURAI,
I'm another of the traditionalists out there. I would absolutely love for Kimber to offer a Series I Royal with rear slide serrations only and an internal extractor. I feel that it would send sales through the roof. Is there some reason that Kimber can't do that? I doubt that they thow away their old tooling when they come out with a newer design, and their catalog already has plenty of models, so what's wrong with one more? Especially if it filled a niche that nobody is currently addressing. I feel that the external extractor, like front slide serrations, is a cosmetically terrible solution to a problem that never existed. Same with the S2 safety, other than the California market (which is rather large probably), but why not make a Cali model just like the car makers do, instead of making all the other states suffer for the idoitic decisions made in California. Granted, it's a little more hassle, but the S1 has fewer parts so the cost should be less than making all of the pistols S2. Please help me with any incorrect assumptions on my part.

One last thing, has anyone tried the new McCormick "ultimate 1911 grip safety", which appears to be much higher swept than the factory Kimber safety? It looks like a good upgrade for $20 if it's a direct drop-in. If not it looks like something Kimber should start installing instead.
TTFN

·
Registered
378 Posts
I voted internal since I have no problem with having to adjust it when new. If I had a problem with an external extractor it'd be much more difficult to fix.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I really do like the look's of the internal extractor better but it would not keep me from buying one! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts