1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking very close at a pair of these guns for carry.
Im a pretty big guy and Im used to carry with a pair of large autos so thats not a issue.

Looking for thoughts on these guns only by people that have shot or own one ...

1) are they reliable on feeding/extracting after the break in?
I would plan to use wilson 8 round mags for carry.

2) any problems with the series II ?

3)any light strikes?

4)hows your M6/M3 fit for a bed side gun?

5) who makes a nice leather holster both IWB and OWB?

6) lastly how has your finish held up ? (not really a issue for me as I plan for these to be carry guns but I do wonder)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would suggest a search if the feature is working...it wasn't for me a while back. I have a TLE RL II and love it. It has been totally reliable with decent mags and it shoots POA perfectly. It is tight and crisp, but absolutely functional. I also like the external extractor. The finish is fine. The sights are super bright and clear. All in all, I think it is a great gun at a great price. Be sure to get a good light...most of the ones that folks use on Glocks fail on the heavier recoiling 1911s. I hear that the surefires are better.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Took a little work, but it is totally reliable and by bedside gun now...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Two thumbs up!

I've just got 1200 trouble free rounds through mine with an ITI M3 light and 8rd and 10rd Wilson mags. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have to have one.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Kimber TLE/RL II

I bought one about two or three months ago and would guess that I have about 500 rds downstream. Couple of FTEs but I have a tendency to get limp wristed towards the end of a shooting session. The M6 Laser/Illum fits nice and tight, much unlike my Springfield TRP Operator (which is back at SA). Fit and finish is great but I'm still not a fan of the black finishes - to me they just aren't durable. I'm a shooter, not a collector and the "coated" finishes show every little mark clearly. Just my .02.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MY THOUGHTS ON THE TLE/RL II

I got one (TLE/RL II) for Christmas from my parents. I took it to the range the other day. I fired about 150 rounds through it. I didn't have one FTF or FTE. I thought the gun was very accurate compared to my Beretta 92 FS INOX. I will probably take it to the range again this week before I have to go back to school. I love the overall looks of the gun and all of the features it has built into it. Plus, knowing that LAPD SWAT trusts their lives with it is an added bonus. I have been looking for a Kydex type of holster that will fit the RL that I can wear on my hip. Do any of you have any suggestions and know of good prices? Peace out fellow gun lovers.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Screaming .357G said:
1) are they reliable on feeding/extracting after the break in?
I would plan to use wilson 8 round mags for carry.

2) any problems with the series II ?

3)any light strikes?

4)hows your M6/M3 fit for a bed side gun?

5) who makes a nice leather holster both IWB and OWB?

6) lastly how has your finish held up ? (not really a issue for me as I plan for these to be carry guns but I do wonder)
  1. 1200 rounds so far with no failures from round 1 forward.
  2. No
  3. No
  4. The M3 goes on easy but is a little tough to get off although not much harder than taking it off my Glocks.
  5. I don't plan to carry it, however I've heard that Wilson and Safariland make holsters that fit the TLE/RL.
  6. Mine isn't old enough to comment on finish longevity.

I did a write up HERE about mine when I first got it.

Kimber TLE/RL with M3 light.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lazarus said:

Took a little work, but it is totally reliable and by bedside gun now...
Which Surefire light is that? I've already bought an M3 for my TLE/RL, but I can easily use that light on different things.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
So how does this compare to the SA Operator?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love my TLE/RL and it is a daily carry pistol.

I didn't see where anyone mentioned the holsters...so I will do that. I have Blade-Tech IWB and OWB holsters, and I think they are great Kydex holsters. I am ordering another from Blade-Tech this week.

I spoke with someone at Milt Sparks, and their famous VM2 is available for the TLE/RL with the usual wait time. I will have one some day...even though I am a Kydex fan. I posted a pic of my TLE in the holster before...but right now the thread escapes me.

Nver had any problems with the pistol, or any of the Series II problems that are mentioned. I am pleased with my purchase, and wouldn't hesitate to own another one, if I could afford it.

I use metalform 7 round mags, and also the factory Kimber mag. None have ever given me any problems. The Wilson Combat 8 rounders oughta be fine from what I have read.

I use the M3 light, and it works fine. It was the light I used with my Glocks, so I haven't thought about any others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I picked up a TLE RL roughly two weeks ago. It is by far one of the best deals out there. You can pull one for around $800...maybe less. I have an M3 on it, like stated above...it goes on smooth but can be a bear to remove (not quite a buddy team job...but it is still tight).

I picked up a Safariland holster (411) for it (non Light) and plan to pick a Safariland 6004 (quad-tactical) in the near future. I use Wilson 8rd'ers (47D) and they have worked like a charm. Hell the gun has shot flawlessly since the day it came out of the box...not one single problem whatsoever.

I was leary about the Kimber initially and actually planned to buy a TRP Operator (was also looking at a Wilson CQB) but opted for the Kimber. I am glad I did. At 800$ I feel like I robbed them.

PS. Finish is not something I can comment on because it is still fairly new and being broken in (500 rounds so far).

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replys:)
Im still trying to make up my mind here.
I have it down to either a pair of TLE/RL II's or a pair of TLE's in the new stainless option.

I have a all stainless (slide & frame) Sig 226.357w/rail that has been a real joy in all ways to own so the new stainless TLE is looking mighty good to me;)

I know that the TLE is a good gun to start with and I have helped a good friend of mine(.45Kevin) to correct the few problems he was having with his orignal style TLE and it his has since been perfect after me giving it a little love:biglaugh:

I have found both guns both the RL and the new SS for the same price and thats the thing that gets me:eek:

Oh well I will make up my mind soon:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
My TLE/RL has been flawless, save for a failure to feed the last round on the very first mag ever fired through it. Not one other single problem or issue. If I could only have one, this would be it. It has taken over as my daily carry gun.

Runnin and gunnin with a TLE/RL on steel plates, is, um, FUN!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts