1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 21# Wolff recoil spring replacement set for my new (to me) Ultra Carry and I'm stumped on how to replace the inner coil spring. It appears that the guide rod end is either a press fit in the guide rod head or it's riveted over after it passes through the guide rod head. Can anyone offer any insight on the replacement procedure? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was able to replace it. The inner spring rod is screwed in about 1/8 inch up from the bottom. Kind of like a 2 piece recoil guide. The problem you will have is getting the inner spring up and out of the way. I compressed it and then used at pair of needle-nose vice grips covered with duct tape to hold the spring up. Then take a wrench and turn the plate. It is loctited in but it will turn. After, I cleaned the loctite off and put it back together. I did this to make it easier to do the next time. If you do this, you will have to watch it carefully so it does not come apart after a day at the range. Mine has not, but I check it periodically during my range time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, EOS1D. I got the magnifier out and saw a hint of threads, so tried to unscrew it and lo and behold! It came apart! But thanks, anyway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
car knocker-
Be careful not to over-tighten the threaded end! I over-torqued one and the bastich snapped off and bounced around the garage for a couple of minutes. Just apply some locktite and snug it up.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you don't apply the loctite, you will find one day after shooting that you no longer have an inner guide rod as it will have sprung/launched from your gun while shooting.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured the lok-tite was there for a reason, so I reapplied when I put it back together. When the weather clears up a bit, I'll try it out at the range. Put a heavier recoil spring in the BHP, also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts