1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Kimber has a 3.5 inch barrel. Should I bother using JHP in it or save my money and only shoot FMJ's.

This pistol in intended to be my concealed carry weapon.

Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My Defender (3 inch barrel) swallows 180 grain gold dots just fine. 180's help keep the velocity up a little more than the 230's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stevan,

My 3 inch stainless Ultra Carry S1 has been my everyday carry gun since 1999.

It's hidden away in one of Dillon's "daytimer" (or Bible?) looking zippered cases as I'm one of those office dwellers that carry a briefcase to work. (you never know when one of those whacko stockbroker or lawyer customers down the hall might decide to go postal!) My UC is loaded with 165grain Federal HydraShok JHP in both the loaded 7 round Wilson mag and in the spare 8 round Wilson back-up mag.

For normal carry ammo, I find that the lighter 165gr. bullet still has enough velocity to 'make my day' and still provide what's needed in a defensive round...

Also every so often, I use my UC in an occational IDPA match instead of my usual stainless Kimber Classic full size 1911.

During its use in target practice and in 'gun games', I tend to lean toward smaller, lighter bullets like 185 Winclean ammo... it's less expensive and still provides enough of a power rating to pass IDPA muster out of that short barrel. But for defensive carry, I like the Federal round as noted above.

Hope this helps answer your question.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I keep my Ultra Carry stoked with 165 gr. EFMJ It eats them up like they were candy with zero problems. 100% reliability and the stats show great expansion in most media.

Just my .02
MadDog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts