1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not quite ready to replace my recoil springs, but I want to have the knowledge when I do. Do I replace both springs on the guide rod or just the one. If both, how do I get the one off that is between the guide rod head and recoil spring plug? In the manual it says Kimber will replace both if sent to them. Is that necessary or is it something a somewhat novice user can do with out messing it up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
jlang11 said:
I am not quite ready to replace my recoil springs, but I want to have the knowledge when I do. Do I replace both springs on the guide rod or just the one. If both, how do I get the one off that is between the guide rod head and recoil spring plug? In the manual it says Kimber will replace both if sent to them. Is that necessary or is it something a somewhat novice user can do with out messing it up? Thanks in advance.
There are good instructions for how to change those recoil springs in this forum thread: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=11860&highlight=kimber+ultra+recoil+replace

Read through it with the recoil spring assembly in front of you and you'll be better able than anyone else to decide whether you can do it. Both springs should be replaced.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
That was an excellent description. I did mine a while back and used the Wolff extra-power springs. They worked perfectly with the Speer 200gr +P GDHP's.

Just to reiterate some points; blue loctite and padded jaws for the vise. I tried to use several layers of cardboard for vise pads and wound up buggering up the end of the guide rod. It wasn't horrible, but you could tell if you looked.

It really isn't that hard.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! I know the search feature works well, but sometimes the hardest part is figuring out exactly what to search for. One or two words in the wrong place and you don't get what you are looking for.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't mean to trounce on your thread...........

but, will the same springs from Wolff also work in the SA micro, guys?

From looking at the SA Micro recoil assembly, it looks as if the dis-assembly is the same. Wolff does not have a seperate listing for the Micro.

Thanks!

Jamie

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Jamie B said:
but, will the same springs from Wolff also work in the SA micro, guys?

From looking at the SA Micro recoil assembly, it looks as if the dis-assembly is the same. Wolff does not have a seperate listing for the Micro.

Thanks!

Jamie
I don't know that gun. Best to phone Wolff with the question.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, Robert.

I already fired off an email yesterday.
I was hoping that somenoe here had aalready dont this.

Jamie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts