1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Caspian LW Officers frame. I do not want to go to the expense of having a complete gun built. I also have a Kimber Compact steel gun.

Can the Kimber upper unit be fitted to the Caspian frame without changing the Kimber slide so that it could not be used on the Kimber?
It would be nice to have the option of using either the LW or the steel gun as needed.

Any idea as to the cost of such a project by a good pistolsmith?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't believe that with all the true expertise on this board that no one knows the answer to this.

Jerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jerry,

I'm be no means an expert. But if two slides can be fitted to one frame. I don't see way two frames cann't be fitted to one slide.

As for cost? Who knows? It may not be worth it. In the long run, you may be better off with two complete guns.

David G.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In general, fitting a frame to a slide is much easier than the other way around. Now that might not make much sense at a glance, but when I am fitting slides I have found that 95% of the fitting is done on the frame as opposed to the slide. Having a second frame gives you the ability to file, sand, and polish the frame to fit the slide without modifying the slide so it can still work on the Kimber. Assuming you are capable of fitting a slide to a frame, then it would seem you should be good to go. Fitting two slides to one frame I have found to be very problematic because when you modify the frame for one slide, you have obviously changed its fit for the other and that starts a very very annoying cycle of fitting and cursing. Good luck and let us know how she comes out!!

Gunslinger

·
Registered
8 Posts
As gunslinger said, you can fit a slide to a frame or a frame to a slide, but you cannot fit a slide to two frames and expect both two work equally well.
One will fit like a matched pair and the other will be between a combat, WWII style fit and God only knows what.

Make the second frame fit the slide, do not alter the slide in any matter or the Kimber gun will suffer.
God'speed
Bob

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I figured that it could be done. I am not planning to do the work myself. Maybe it would not be worth the cost.
I would think that the major costs of a gun as far as parts would be concerned are the slide and barrel. Since that is already present, I am not sure what the parts necessary to assemble the frame would cost.

I guess it would mostly be a matter of labor to fit the frame to the slide.

Thanks again,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts