1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase my first 1911 style handgun. I have been looking at the Kimbers and the Para Ordances. Any pro's or con's on either of these? I will basically use the gun for IDPA and self defense (CCW). I also have some concerns regarding a steel frame vs. an aluminum frame. Any wisdom on this?
Thanks. Russell

·
Registered
332 Posts
MY KIMBER PRO CARRY HAS BEEN THROUGH 4-5,000 RDS SO FAR WITHOUT ANY WEAR THAT WOULD CONCERN ME. THE ALUMINUM FRAME IS HOLDING UP QUITE WELL. I'VE CHECKED OUT SOME OF THE PARAS, AND THEY FEEL NICE, BUT NOT AS NICE AS MY KIMBERS. THE ONLY DIFF REALLY IS THE FIRING PIN SAFETY THING ON THE KIMBER...UNLESS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE PARA LDA (LIGHT DOUBLE ACTION)MODELS. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SHOPPING. TAKE YOUR TIME, AND SEE WHAT FEELS GOOD TO YOU. HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own both. Contrary to most, I've had more problems with my CDP than my P-13-but their service & turnaround is exceptional. I also personally feel that quality has dropped recently at Kimber because of them trying to meet the high demand.

Kimbers will shoot better than PO, but they'll both probably shoot better than you anyway so it really won't matter in the real world.

Kimbers are definitely finished a lot better, but they cost more. For IDPA, you'll propbably be looking for 10-rd capacity so PO may have more models to offer. Aluminum frames should last at least 20K rounds (per Kimber)

For CCW, PO is slightly thicker.

If this matters, Kimber is made in the USA, PO is Canadian.

You should borrow/rent both and shoot them in comparison before you believe any of us anyways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've owned a Para P-14 in the past and for the past 5 years have had a Kimber. IMO, the fit and finish of the Kimber is much better than the Para, and the features on the Kimber are also superior. I do like the Para LDA, however. A very neat concept for those who want a 1911 design, but for whatever reason can't carry a single action auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts