1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who read the springfield and kimber forums, forgive the cross post. I would like to get both kimber and springfield owner's opinions.

A good warranty is very important to me since I have very limited knowledge of how to work on a gun. Springfield offers a life time warranty where as Kimber offers a 1 year warranty. What is everyone's experience when dealing with either companies regarding warranties? Has anyone approached Kimber with a problem after the warranty has ran out? What was their response?
In addition, I have decided to when I do purchase, it will be a full-sized grip, steel frame with a 4in barrel. This boils down to a pro-carry HD for kimber and a champion from Springfield. Anyone have comments on the advantages/disadvantages of either.

Thanks for your help,
-Chad

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a disconnetor go bad in my Kimber and I'm certainly no gunsmith and they did a superb job with my pistola.

I shipped it via UPS on a Monday,,,,checking online, it didn't leave Iowa till Midnight that day, it arrived in Yonkers at 10:30 AM Tuesday, and when I got home from work Wednesday, it was waiting for me.

I had the gun over a year at that point and the problem was a defect with the part, I couldn't have asked for a faster turn around......literally, I didn't think there was anyway I'd see my pistol that soon.

Thanks,
H4444

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I've owned both a Springfield Armory and a Kimber. There's a lot of heat and smoke around here on brands, and often not much light. Both make good guns. Both sometimes make a gun which needs work. Both (usually) it seems have pretty good service records.

Pick the gun you like. You won't be disappointed with either. Both great firearms.

John Collins

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've owned several Kimbers, and have had good service from them. I took a Deputy to the range to qualify last week with his new Springfield. He had "several" ftf, and when I operated the slide several times-it was ROUGH! I routinely look at the new guns at our local shop, and I think the Kimber is more gun for the money. Of course, that's my opinion.

------------------

·
Registered
131 Posts
It seems that most have kept their replies to warranty info--I thought maybe that a new perspective may be beneficial.
When I started looking into a 1911 to buy I didn't know much--started looking at *every* magazine's test reports and other things. What I found is that for the money(range of $500-$650) the Kimber had good reliability and better accuracy than others. After I bought my Kimber I was able to shoot a SA Stainless and even more glad I got the Kimber--the SA was SHARP! (edges). I don't think that the warranty is a big deal to harp on b/c after a while most will inevitably do some customizing--a good bit of customizing voids some warranties.

------------------
Credo ut Intelligam (I believe in order that I may understand--Augustine)
"But, being a good citizen isn't enough shielding to protect you from an ignorant nation." Fremont
I am "compelled...to use such means as God, in his providence, hath put in our power for our necessary defence and preservation." Connecticut Colonists of 1770's

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bought a Springfield "Loaded" a few years ago and it was one malfunction after another. Springfield's service department did not respond to email or phone call so I got rid of the gun. Now I own a Kimber Custom and a Colt 1991A1 and both are reliable, accurate shooters that have never given me any trouble. My experience with Springfield was so bad it had to be a fluke. Every now and then one slips through the crack and I guess it was my turn.

------------------
Steve333

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just bought a Kimber Stainless II. The Slide was really stiff at first. It would stick before going forward fully. I just kept operating the action and it loosened up. Other than that no complaints on the thing. I love it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Kimber vs. Springfield is not a valid comparison. It should be Springfield vs. Charles Daly. Springfield is not in the same league as Kimber, IMO.
I own both. Buy the Kimber, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by Tupperware:
Kimber vs. Springfield is not a valid comparison. It should be Springfield vs. Charles Daly. Springfield is not in the same league as Kimber, IMO.
I own both. Buy the Kimber, you won't be sorry.
I wouldn't be so certain....see the other thread here about Kimbers Service.

I've owned both a Kimber (Classic) and Springfield (Loaded) and I'd take the Springfield over the Kimber from a quality standpoint. I first got the Kimber and started shooting IPSC Limited with it (back before Limited 10) and then got the Springfield and started Limited 10. The Springfield is more reliable and seems to be more accurate.

Regarding warranty issues, I later found that the sear on my Springfield was cut slightly at an angle. I contacted Springfield about his and expressed my delima (was trying to get classified in Limited 10 before a large area match and really couldn't afford to be without the pistol. Springfield sent me a new sear AND hammer that were EDM parts (not the MIM parts they normally use) and sent them over night air. I installed the parts and later had a gunsmith clean up to the trigger to break at 2lbs for competition.

Springfield definatly wins the debate of "which is better" in my book!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by vapors750:
I wouldn't be so certain....see the other thread here about Kimbers Service.

First, I have used the custom shop with excellent results. Dennis always took care of me with no delay. I read the service thread and don't doubt the validity of others claims. Fortunately my experiences have been different.
Allow me to explain why I think the Kimber is a better product.
A side-by-side comparison of my Kimber Stainless vs. my Springfield Loaded (stainless) model yields the following conclusions. (I have looked at many examples of each to make sure mine is a representative one.)
The exterior finish on the Kimber is in a different league. There are no visible machine marks anywhere. The ejection port shows smooth radius with no visible machine marks. The cocking serrations are radiused at the bottom as is the bottom edge of the slide. The sights fit tightly into their dovetails. The rear sight sits flush with the rear of the slide. On my Springfield the cocking serrations and the bottom of the slide WILL cut you. There are visible machine marks left on the bottoms of all of the cocking serrations. The ejection port has sharp edges that have not been radiused. Machine marks are evident. The rear sight stops way short of the rear of the slide. The slide to frame fit of the Kimber yields no discernable play in any direction. The Springfield is loose enough to rattle when you shake the gun.
The Kimber grip safety fits tighter in all dimensions than the one on the Springfield. It allows a much higher grip. The finish is the same color as the frame. The Springfield finish appears to be plating and does not match the frame. The Kimber frontstrap has a higher cut under the trigger guard, too. The trigger on the Kimber fits in the frame with much less side-to-side and vertical slop than the one on the Springfield. All of these slight dimensional differences contribute greatly to a more comfortable hold on the Kimber. The last major difference of the two guns on the exterior is the much larger and "squarer" aspect of the grip on the Springfield. This is a shooter preference area, however. Other exterior differences that I appreciate on the Kimber are the extended magazine release and the allen screws for the grips and mag release.
The Kimber barrel is fit tighter in all dimensions, too. There is no discernable play at the muzzle or hood and the bushing fits tight. The Springfield bushing is loose and the barrel hood may be depressed with light pressure. Lockup on the Springfield is repeatable, however, and accuracy is not bad.
Finally, the Kimber hammer, sear and disconnector, while MIM, are fit to much beter tolerances and produce a crisper trigger directly from the factory. The half-cock notch on the Kimber hammer is cut so as to protect the sear from damage should the hammer ever fall forcefully to half-cock. The Springfield lacks this cut. The Kimber sear shows signs of at least some polishing on the nose while the Springfield shows none.
These are the reasons I believe Kimber to be superior to Springfield. Your comments are welcome.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, what Tupperware said...

I also have a Kimber stainless Pro series pistol and a stainless Springfield loaded Champion. I prefer the 4 inchers myself.

I'm right handed and from my experience, when I grip the pistol with the strong hand thumb on the thumb safety (the way you're supposed to), the Kimber thumb safety clicks off with a positive snap and stops rock solid. The Springfield snaps off ok, but doesn't have a solid stop. It's kinda mushy feeling.

Kimber did the thumb safety right. Springfield didn't.

I prefer Kimber's smooth grip safety over Springfields bump/hump or whatever it's called. I don't need the bump wearing a hole in my palm. YMMV

Like Tupperware said, with the Kimber, you can get a higher grip. To me that means a better feel in my hand and better control of recoil.

They are both good pistols.
Guess it depends on what you want to use it for...

I use the Springfield to plink but I rely on the Kimber as my carry pistol.

Bottom line?

I say get both. You know you'll eventually end up with several anyway. Start with the Springfield one for now. That way you can justify your later Kimber purchase as an "upgrade".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding warranty:

Has anyone ever had a problem with their Kimber which Kimber refused to fix because the gun was purchased over a year ago?

I doubt it -- I think Kimber's warranty policy is effectively lifetime if you're not a moron and don't do something stupid to the gun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently purchased a Kimber Gold Combat, and have also had experience within the last year with Springfield.

Springfield does make good guns, has a life time warranty, and does have a strong following.

But my new kimber worked out of the box, eats anything, and is very accurrate. My springfield was on a diet (ate when it wanted to), was very accurate, and spent as much time in the box (going back to the factory) as it did at the range. Maybe I got a lemon (Actually two).

I guess it is luck of the draw. Go figure.

Dagwood

G

·
I have three Kimbers, two Classic Customs and a Royal Carry. All three preformed perfectly out of the box. The only dealings I had with Kimbers customer service was via the Internet. I e-mailed Kimber because the head of the Allen head screw in the mag release of my first custom was stripped or so I thought. They sent me a new one. The same thing happened with the second Custom except this time they sent me two screws. Turned out that the screws heads weren’t stripped, one of my Allen wrenches was worn out. I can’t be happier with my Kimbers or the service I received.

I looked at and handled a couple of Springfield’s before purchasing my first Kimber. I don’t care for the way they feel, the sharp edges or the roughness of slide travel. Just my personal opinion and nothing to do with the way they function. I know a couple of people with Springfield’s and they have no complaints.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts