1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy either the Kimber Custom 2 TLE/RL2 or the SW 1911 TRS. I know this much about the guns. The kimber has been making them for some time, and the SW is pretty new to the 1911 game. Just looking for an expert opinion.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Looking to buy either the Kimber Custom 2 TLE/RL2 or the SW 1911 TRS. I know this much about the guns. The kimber has been making them for some time, and the SW is pretty new to the 1911 game. Just looking for an expert opinion.
From me, definately not an expert opinion........just a guy who put a lot of rounds through a bunch of different Kimber's and S&W's.

I have owned multiple's of both makers weapons to date. All the Kimber's were full sized including my first, a very well used TLE 2 (non rail). The S&W's were a combo of full sized steel, full sized scandium and the Gunsite (commander sized scandium). Again, no railed S&W's. All of my guns from both makers worked and worked well. The S&W's had solid fit and finish except for one with the slightly loose wiggling trigger thing........an easy fix. The Kimber's were a touch better in fit and finish. The Kimber's were just a hair more accurate out of box but all my 1911's from both makers were plenty deadly enough for SD/DH type shooting I do at the distances I shoot. I would actually recommend either makers weapons from my experience with them. Others may have a different take on that from their own experience.

Again, you should do fine with either choice. Does either one really grab you as a shooter?

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I bought a S&W Tac Rail in melonite when they first came out, it now has approx 1200 rounds thru it and has never malfunctioned in any way. Fit and finish are excellent and accuracy is better than expected. I also looked at the TLE but am very glad I picked up the S&W.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Buy the one you like the best.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
+1 for S&W. Kimber doesn't make them like they used to anymore.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I'm certainly no expert, Darin, but I do own one of the very first SW1911's and it has been a workhorse with a handful of failures in over 8000 rounds (most failures were ammo related -- my bad reloads, and the other failure was a result of a mechanical problem at around 6000 rounds; the extractor spring broke, which was an easy fix and not what I'd call unusual)...

I've owned Kimbers (the key word here is 'owned'), so my bottom line is to purchase the S&W which is a biased opinion based on experience with examples of each builder-- let's just say I had problems with the Kimber that I believe weren't normal for the 1911 platform which I find are highly reliable and better than most handguns, for the most part...

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase. I only commented on the two firearms you asked about and limited my comments to them. A more 'open' question might have produced a different recommended pistol...

ColtM1911A1

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have owned both brands and still own a Kimber. The kimber has a better fit and finish. The kimber is more accurate but as already pointed out they will both do the job. Some folkes don't like the firing pin safety in Kimbers and some don't like the mag disconnect in S&Ws. So it really comes down to whick one you like. They are both fine guns.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have owned both brands and still own a Kimber. The kimber has a better fit and finish. The kimber is more accurate but as already pointed out they will both do the job. Some folkes don't like the firing pin safety in Kimbers and some don't like the mag disconnect in S&Ws. So it really comes down to whick one you like. They are both fine guns.
There is no mag disconnect in any SW1911 that I've seen.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
+1 for S&W. Kimber doesn't make them like they used to anymore.

Hmm...seems to me Kimber is making them exactly like they always have, with very close attention to fit, finish, and detail. My Kimber Ultra CDP II has functioned flawlessly with several brands of both ball and HP ammo, going on 1000+ rounds. It's extremely accurate. I'm not sure what else I could ask of it? And I have a feeling that there might just be a Kimber owner or two with the same experience.
Stick around these forums long enough and any brand will (and has) eventually become the ugly stepchild of handguns. For awhile it was S&W 1911's and their external extractors, then it was Colt 1911's (can't remember the problem though), then Les Baers (too tight), then, then, then, etc. Lately, it does seem like Kimber is the flavor of the month to hate though. And to think Kimber was the darling of the forums a couple years ago. Personally, I think both S&W and Kimber make outstanding 1911's. And so does Colt, Springfield Armory, Para Ordnance, and Les Baer (although the latter is considered a semi-custom while the others are considered "production"). But to make a sweeping statement like "Kimber doesn't make them like they used to anymore"...well :scratch:, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Oh, by the way, Ford doesn't make 'em like they used to either. ;)

Tom

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Kimber vs S&W, I vote SPRINGFIELD!!! They don't use passive safeties (like Kimber and S&W), great customer service and build a decent 1911 too. I guess if I had to pick between the Kimber and S&W I'd get the Kimber (don't like the external extractor set up on the S&W). I like the fit and finish on Kimber better too. I never had problems with any of the 4 Kimbers I own (3 series II and 1 pre series II). You''ll hear people bad mouth Kimber but the shear volume they put out of great guns also increases the amt. of friday 4:30 models. You'll have to decide yourself what the best fit is for you because both guns are pretty much on par w/eachother. I mentioned Springfield, I own 2 of them "loaded" and "GI" models. The loaded is all the 1911 you'll need for carry unless you want to fancy it up and get the TRP model. Take a look at Springer you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I second Springfield Operator!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Go with Kimber one of the best 1911's out there. I've had my Custom II TLE for only a week but put 300 rounds at the range with no problems. It's the most accurate gun I've ever shot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I own both and like both very much. If I was forced to choose only one or the other, it would be the Kimber by the slimmest of margins. In your position I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bingo!

Hmm...seems to me Kimber is making them exactly like they always have, with very close attention to fit, finish, and detail. My Kimber Ultra CDP II has functioned flawlessly with several brands of both ball and HP ammo, going on 1000+ rounds. It's extremely accurate. I'm not sure what else I could ask of it? And I have a feeling that there might just be a Kimber owner or two with the same experience.
Stick around these forums long enough and any brand will (and has) eventually become the ugly stepchild of handguns. For awhile it was S&W 1911's and their external extractors, then it was Colt 1911's (can't remember the problem though), then Les Baers (too tight), then, then, then, etc. Lately, it does seem like Kimber is the flavor of the month to hate though. And to think Kimber was the darling of the forums a couple years ago. Personally, I think both S&W and Kimber make outstanding 1911's. And so does Colt, Springfield Armory, Para Ordnance, and Les Baer (although the latter is considered a semi-custom while the others are considered "production"). But to make a sweeping statement like "Kimber doesn't make them like they used to anymore"...well :scratch:, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Oh, by the way, Ford doesn't make 'em like they used to either. ;)

Tom
The above statement is point on.

I'm no expert. I'm no gunsmith, but I am an average income gun buyer and a shooter. So take it for what it's worth, but here are some simple observations from my place.

S&W is a good gun. Excellent infact. As is Kimber, Springfield etc.

I happen to have owned S&W and Kimber TLE RL II.

I still have the Kimber........... I sold the S&W and don't miss it.

The S&W had multiple failures within 1K rds.

My Kimber has had exactly 2 failures in the year that I have owned it with well over 3K rounds through it.

The fit (for me) and finish of my Kimber is better than that of the S&W.

I beleive that dollar for dollar my Kimber is/ has been the better purchase.

I carry this gun professionally everyday. I stake my life on it's reliability and accuracy; which by the way was better out of the box than the S&W was.

Before I buy another S&W I'll buy another Kimber or a Springfield.

Just my experience as a regular guy.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I went through a similar decision last year. I wanted a full size stainless 1911 to replace the stainless Mil-Spec that I didn't like. I knew it would be either a Kimber Stainless II or a S&W 1911. I already owned a S&W Gunsite and love it so I was really leaning in that direction. Although Kimbers have a somewhat spotty rep on the Internet, a friend has a Pro Carry II that has worked great since he bought it.

Anyway, I liked the feel of the S&W better although that may be because the Smith had wood grips, the Kimber had rubber. So based on that I was going to get the Smith. But they did not have a full size stainless Smith without a rail! They could order one but I didn't want to wait. I went with the Kimber Stainless II.

So a few months and a few hundred rounds later I've grown to really like this gun. No failures and very accurate. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

I still have an urge to get a stainless Smith 1911 though.

I guess whichever one you get, you should be real happy.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Buy the one you like the best. All you get here is excess testosterone. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont have experience with S&W, but i can tell you that my Kimber Ultra CDP II has performed flawlessly out of the box.

Im still dreading my first FTE/FTF but it hasnt happened.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have owned both also and Now I own several Kimbers. All of my Kimbers have been great with only one problem out of about 6 different pistols. I had a early S&W Stainless 1911 and I was very disappointed. The way the saftey, sear and trigger fit it felt like a Lama or a firestorm. I sent it back and still couldn't tell much difference. I traded it and haven't looked back. I will say from what I read the newer ones are better. I know that I am anal about some things but I expected more out of a 800.00 pistol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts