1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kimber Warrior Review (Novice Opinions) NOW WITH PICS!

I just received a NIB Kimber Warrior for my 17th birthday. I am a total and complete novice when it comes to the 1911 platform. Yes, I occasionally shot a few different models at the range and my grandfather (my range buddy) shoots a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec model.

That is the extent of my 1911 knowledge. What originally drew me into the 1911 platform was the feel of the gun in your hand. With the 1911 you know you are getting a "gun". The pistols are heavy compared to my Beretta 96 Vertec, or HK USP .40 S&W. Loading up an eight round .45 ACP magazine with 230gr. Ball is a fun experience in itself. The rounds are big. They honestly dwarf the little 9mm rounds, and puts the .40 S&W is in its shadows. To put it into simple terminology the gun is just plain cool.

After I knew I wanted a 1911 is was a simple matter of choosing a model. My price range, at first, was modest. I was originally drawn to the simple Springfield Loaded. Great features at an excellent price. Then I began to look at Kimber. They have some contracts with several agencies and Kimber has no problem at all with letting the consumers know it. Kimber obviously spends a lot on marketing as one can always see their advertisements gracing the back cover of Guns and Ammo or Shootings Times. Being a young and impressionable young teen they hooked me.

So I then looked into Kimber. My first choice was the Kimber TLE. The gun looked great and had nice features. So I asked around on the forums from people who would know best about this type of thing. Most said it would be a great choice but I always heard the Warrior coming up. Hmmm. I grabbed an old American Rifleman magazine and looked through it and saw an article on the Kimber Warrior. It looked neat and the grips at first were disgusting.

Then I tried to rationalize it. I told myself that the 1911 isn't all what it is made out to be. It's finicky, holds few rounds, cannot be shot when the hammer is lowered. And most of all the weapon is OLD.

That worked for about a week, :) . I knew I had to get one. I read all I could about them for awhile. I soon found after just a few posts was that the Warrior was what I wanted. It combined conventional features (Series I, no guide rod) with modern twists (light rails, Gunner Grips, simulated Novak Sights).

I ordered two Wilson 47D magazines, a set of real Gunner Grips with the beveled bottoms and ambi cut. I also got 550 rounds of .230 Grain Ball Winchester to break the gun in with.

The Review
When you pick this pistol up you know you are holding a lot of gun in your hand. The pistol is heavy, yet still balanced very well. It looks very nice with the Kim Pro finish. It is slick, and looks very nice when combined with the Coyote Brown Gunner Grips.

The Gunner grips are very rough and the texture on them might be painful when shooting. Just picking the pistol up and holding it tightly might hurt some hands. I am not by any means calling anyone a wuss or anything like that. I am just saying that it might hurt your hands if you shoot the weapon without gloves. I think I may sand them down with the included sand paper.

The lanyard loop doesn't interfere with magazine reloads at all. The included magazine has a large bumper pad on it which allows you to slam to the magazine home and still not hit you hand on the loop. The 47D's have enough of a bumper that your hand will not hit the lanyard on a fast hard reload.

My hand fills up in the beaver tail very well. The pistol honestly feels like it belongs in my hand. My trigger finger feels great on the wide trigger, compared to a GI type pistol which has a less wide trigger. The checkering on the front strap is something I thought I might miss, but I do not even know it's not there. The Gunner Grips provide all of the texture that I need. The gun is TIGHT. It is really, really, really tight. The slide takes more force than I am used too in order pull back, but it's not a problem.

Pet Peeves;

The MIM parts do not match well with the rest of the gun that has the Kim Pro Finish. The MIM parts are rough and are not slick. For this much money you would think that Kimber could make these parts with the Kim Pro finish. The checkering on the rear on the pistol has already started to wear. The trigger has some creep to it. It's not a target trigger, but nor is it like the trigger of a Double Action auto such as a Beretta, SIG, or an HK. The trigger of a Luger is a bit better.

Hoped this may have helped out a newbie who is looking into getting a 1911.

The Warrior

My Other Centerfire Pistols

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm, assuming that you have the regular Warrior and not the Desert Warrior, correct? I have the "regular" Warrior and all parts match color wise on mine. I guess this could be luck of the draw when the parts are picked for a particular pistol. My trigger was really good when I bought it and has only gotten better with 500 rounds down the tube. I'm sure yours will also. The rest of your evaluation is pretty much on par from what I've seen also. I love mine. There's just something about a 1911, whether old or new, that just draws you to them. Nice post. Simp

·
Registered
754 Posts
I agree with Simp . . . the finish on my Warrior all matched and though I've not aquired a holster for it yet there are no signs of wear on it from just handling and shooting it.

The Grips (which are not Gunners) have a firm feel to them and hold well when shooting and don't let the texture fool you they do not hurt at all and keep your grip secure.

The lanyard ring (loop) can be removed if desired. I did so because I wished to add a magwell to my Warrior. Regarding the MSH I find it really hard to believe that you are already losing finish on it????? I've shot my gun several sessions and have removed the MSH several times and have no coddled it at all and there is no sign of wear.

As for the trigger there always can be the possiblity of a bit of creep which can be corrected by some light stoning or just a good cleaning and blowing out excess dirt particles.

As for the front checkering some like it and some don't. My GF owns a TLE/RL II that has the front checkering and it's okay but I don't shoot her gun much. What I did do to my Warrior was add a piece of 3M non skid tape to the front and that was all that was need to complete the grip effect I wanted.

My Warrior is going through a transition right now and just about ready for some new photos soon. I believe in the old saying that "Good Guys wear Black" and that's what first drew me to the Warrior though it was not completely black, but it's 90% there out of the box. I'm now at about 98% which is where I want it. When I post some picks soon you can judge for yourself.

Anyway Congradulations on a fine choice to start your introduction to 1911's . . . It's is in no way a lemon. I know you won't be disapointed with it. Just clean it well and lube it properly and get plenty of bang, bang time with it.

:rock:

RC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the encouraging replies.

Stinger, I did in fact purchase a set of the Gunner Grips, made by Simmicoch (sp?). Those were the grips I was referring to in my original post.

The main spring housing, ambi safety, and slide release do not match the pistol when dry. The frame/slide seems to have a different finish and during assembly they must have added the parts.

The main spring housing, ambi safety, and slide release seem to be blued, but the texture is porous and gritty, similar to Parkerizing. This to me at least, is completely unacceptable on a pistol of this caliber and price range. (No pun intended).

When I apply a liberal coating of Hoppes Elite Lubricating oil, the parts seem to match. What do you guys think of this?

I know that the frame and slide have the Kim Pro finish, but do the MIM parts that I listed above come with the same finish? If they didn't then I would be correct in assuming that the parts would not match on any pistol.

Thanks once again for the replies. They honestly really mean a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
This is a little off your topic, but I was really glad you mentioned shooting with your grandfather. I inherited my grandfathers gun obsession, but sadly, can't go shoot with him now that he's passed. Cherish the time you have to spend with him and listen to what he has to say. There's not a day that goes by that I don't wish I could sit and listen to one of my Grandpa's stories. Now, back on topic, enjoy that Warrior and shoot the piss out of it! :rock:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Here are a couple of early pics of my Warrior. The parts whether MIM or not, safeties, slide stop, mag release all match the finish of my gun. If yours doesn't look like mine I don't know what to say. However that should have nothing to do with it's performance and results of range use. You need to get out and shoot it and let us know how well it shoots for you.

RC

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fired a total of 600 rounds of Winchester White box 230gr. FMJ and it has worked perfectly. I am really satisfied with this pistol!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Good Job

Burke888 said:
Fired a total of 600 rounds of Winchester White box 230gr. FMJ and it has worked perfectly. I am really satisfied with this pistol!
Just want to compement you on your writing and composition skills. I think you are an asset to this forum. I may begin looking at your postings for fun, just like DHart's excellent photography, DSK's discourses....this forum looks more and more like a periodical all the time!:p

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. Here is a picture of what I did to mine:

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
17 year olds can own handguns in Ohio? Could have fooled me. I didn't think they were allowed to even buy handgun ammo!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chuck, I was thinking the same thing... but you can buy pistols as gifts. I am guessing that his family is "holding" them until he comes of age. Wish that my parents would have afforded me the same latitude. I can only hope that he and his family are very responsible gun owners.

Burke888, Nice collection! Be smart and be safe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chuck S said:
17 year olds can own handguns in Ohio? Could have fooled me. I didn't think they were allowed to even buy handgun ammo!

-- Chuck
In Ohio you need to be 18 to purchase a long gun and ammo for it. For a handgun it is 21. When your parent buys you a pistol you get a little booklet on the laws concerning youths and handguns. For example, if I wanted to go and shoot my pistol for recreational purposes, I have to transport the pistol in a locked container, with ammunition separate. The police captain that I spoke to said that I should put the pistol in the cabin, and leave the ammo in the bed of the truck. There are some very strict laws concerning youths and handguns. If my parents allow me to access a pistol knowing that I am going to commit a crime with it, they are punishable by a $10,000 fine and a prison term. Read the little youth handgun booklet (its yellowish pamphlet for us Ohians.) Any gun store should have a copy.

I'm not fooling anyone, I am honestly 17 years old.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Burke888;
I'm quite impressed with your pistol collection, Those are some nice looking Lugers How well do they shoot? I've always admired the looks of a Luger.. Like 1911's they are works of art...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ralph said:
Burke888;
I'm quite impressed with your pistol collection, Those are some nice looking Lugers How well do they shoot? I've always admired the looks of a Luger.. Like 1911's they are works of art...
They shoot great. I used the little one in a fun balloon shoot at our local range awhile back and took first place. The trigger is really nice and when you pick one up the feel of it is amazing! The really fun one is the Artillery with the stock attached. It is a really little handy carbine thats an absolute blast to shoot. The Luger's are my favorite by far, followed by my Kimber Warrior :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Burke888; You seem like a really nice young man; a little off topic, but what did you do to get banned at AR15.com? (Hey; 1st Post:))

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Burke... nice post. I think considering how young you are, you've done very well for yourself. You should have many, many years of great enjoyment from your guns ahead of you. Considering Kimber's sad state of affairs these days, the Warrior is a bright spot... I think you choose well by avoiding the Series II stuff and the external extractor. Good going. All that gun needs now to achieve real greatness is some high quality small parts... but that can come later as you learn more and use the gun more. May I also suggest you begin considering some Colts and Springfields for future acquisitions. You've only just begun! The world of 1911's is intoxicating! Enjoy the thrill. :rock:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TEMPLARKNIGHT said:
Burke888; You seem like a really nice young man; a little off topic, but what did you do to get banned at AR15.com? (Hey; 1st Post:))
No idea. They said I was trolling for some reason. No reason why they said that, you can look at all of my posts and none of them could be considered trolling. Thats the second time I have been banned from that site. Previous account was "Death_006", then I made "Burke888", they banned both. Now I made yet another "Burkey", hope this one isn't banned. Perhaps your not allowed posting personal information, or maybye I am too young to be on the website. I do not think any of my actions deserve being banned. You can search for all posts by those accounts and none of them are deserving of being banned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts