1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to share

My newest toy is an Optima 2000 sight for my old Kimber 1911. The old rear sight was a real bitch to remove, but once I did, the custom Optima mount from <a href="http://www.egw-guns.com">EGW</a> fit perfectly. I screwed the Optima to the EGW mount and headed to the range. I know the chances were one in a billion, but it just happened to be dead nuts on right out of the box

This thing is *fast* to get on target. I am very pleased, it remains to be seen how long it will last getting slammed back and forth on top of the slide, but so far it works perfectly.

The really neat thing about the Optima is how small the sight is. As you can see in my pictures, it simply replaces the rear sight and you can still use your normal holsters.

Now I plan to buy a Custom II with fixed sights. A red dot sight is nice for plinking and shooting plates, but I want plain old fashioned iron sights for carry... that's a good excuse to buy a new gun anyway

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have about 1000 rounds on the Optima since I installed it last week. It has held zero so far and hasn't shown any ill effects from riding the slide
I love it, it has all of the advantages of a red dot sight without the bulk.

The cover for the Optima is pretty tough too. It went through the washing machine yesterday in my shirt pocket with no ill effects

G

·
I have an Optima on a compensated Custom Classic I shoot open with. 30,000 rounds and on the second set of batteries (I use two 2016 so the dot is brighter) and no problems.

Griz,I hope that isn’t your carry weapon.

[This message has been edited by Jerry (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I have a little tiny Kel-Tec for concealed carry.

The "carry" I mention above is open carry around the farm. I used to carry my Kimber, but since I added the Optima, I have been carrying a Super Blackhawk 44 Mag.... That damn thing pulls down my pants, so I'm going to get a new Kimber with fixed sights for open carry...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks Griz, I can't believe I didn't see it the first time, thanks for reposting for a dummy. Max

1 - 8 of 8 Posts