1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reviewing the differences between the 1911 and the 1911A1.

The Kimbers look like a 1911A1, without the arched main spring housing.

What's the thoughts behind the straight MSH?

Regards

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Kimbers are neither. M1911 and M1911A1 are the designations of the pistols sold to the military. No commercial pistol is really a M1911/A1.

Straight mainspring housing was discarded circa 1925 to bring the muzzle up higher in the hand and cure low shooting noted in WW1. The trigger was shortened, and the frame recessed.

The straight MSH looks better than the arched, the reason most modern "M1911s" have it. Likewise folks are enamored with long "target" triggers.

I've personally gotten used to the flat MSH and higher grip position offered by the beavertail safeties.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuck,

Thanks for the response. I'm on my first 1911 and have never shot
one with an arched MSH. I've got about 500 rnds through my Kimber
and do shoot generally low. My patterns are tightening up and moving
up as I practice.

I was just curious why, the later design change was not universally
accepted.

Regards,
David

·
Registered
500 Posts
What's the thoughts behind the straight MSH?

Regards
My first 1911 (Colt Govt Model Mark IV Series 80) had an arched msh. Hated it. Every 1911 I've shot since then has the flat msh and I chose the Compact Stainless II because the flat msh feels best in my hand.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Arched mainspring housing went on millions of M1911A1 pistols without whining. ;) Along with the short trigger for better control and shooting with things like gloves. Once the gamers got ahold of the pistol all sorts of of things happened, most (like full legth recoil spring guides) for no reason, some for cosmetics.

For years I preferred the arched MSH, as that's what was in my holster. I now find it makes little difference either way. But I still strongly prefer the standard, short trigger.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
IMHO, the arched MSH is a YMMV thing....

I like 'em....

I put 'em on everything....

(The dog was not amused.... :biglaugh: )

Seriously, I have large enough hands to fit the arched MSH idea, and I do find that I shoot 'em better than 1911's with flat housings.

It doesn't bother me much, but an Officer's frame with an arched MSH will bite you if not rounded off a bit at the bottom. One of the places where you can actually use a Dremel for something besides stirring coffee....

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts