1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure if all Kimber aluminum framed pistols are anodized?
If so, are they done with Type III hard anodize?
I've seen many aluminum framed Kimbers, black in color, with silver feedramps fresh from the factory. Best I can tell, the feedramps were addressed after the final finish was applied.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, in the last 15 years I've sent Kimber back three of their aluminum frames: two from cracking and one to refinish after I bobtailed it. All were "re-anodized" per Dennis. One included a Kimpro (black) Commander sized frame that was, indeed, anodized on the feed ramp when purchased. He seemed to indicate that all modifications to aluminum frames required re-anodizing.

As far as what type of process they use, I could not even begin to guess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry to rehash a very old thread.

Did anyone find the answer to this? I am working on finishing up a bobtail on my Pro Carry and will be in need of refinishing it sometime shortly. So far, I have not thought the finish to be anodized, at least not the type III hard stuff. This finish seems to come off way to easily.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

·
Registered
610 Posts
Properly done HA is tough stuff. A Surefire flashlight could double as a rasp, without showing damage. I'm sure Kimber's are not HA, anodized maybe, but pretty easy to mar a Kimber aluminum finish. I have decided that if I ever damage or wear an aluminum frame, whether Kimber, or S&W Airweight, to have it hard-chromed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts