1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a gun with a light rail. Which is better! Anybody know anything bout these

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Well I have a TRP operator and it OWNZ!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The Operator was the first 1911 I shot. Rented it at the range. I have yet to find shoot a 1911 as accurate and as pleasurable to shoot. That includes my Wilson Stealth and Kimber Compact... I don't know if I would consider it for carry due to the weight, but otherwise an excellent gun!

H

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't own a Springer, but I have a TLE RL IIand it is AWESOME. Uber reliable, no Series II problems, tight and accurate. Sights are perfect out of the box and the trigger is not too bad, but has a touch of creep. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend a TLE RL II to anyone.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Kimbers seem to be higher quality to me, but they shoot pretty similar. If I was on a budget I'd go for the Springfield, otherwise the Kimber.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I want to find out more about this Springfield Operator with shorter rail/dust cover:

Anyone have any info?

P.S. That new shorty M1A is pretty cool too, huh?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heh, looks like a Wilson. I have heard that the Springfield Operator will soon have the short rail that most other light rail pistols have. I think it was in one of the gun mags. I would wait on one of those myself. I have never owned either a Kimber or a Springfield but every dealer I know who has both recommends Springfield over Kimber. For whatever thats worth.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
SteelShooter said:
I have heard that the Springfield Operator will soon have the short rail that most other light rail pistols have. I think it was in one of the gun mags.
Okay SS you pushed me off the fence! I like the full length rail because it is different than other 1911s with rails. Not only is the rail longer, but the gun has more weight because of it. It's also unique in that it's a 5" barreled 1911 with a bull barrel rather than a regular bushing. Figured I'd better grab this one before they are changed, it's all your fault, SS! :biglaugh:

Now I'll be able to compare the Kimber TLE/RL and the Springfield TRP Operator side by side. I'll post something next week after I've had a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I sure would like to see a rail gun from Baer, a Monolith rail would be really nice. They have some sort of custom rail gun that only works with insight lights but I want a true Picatinny rail that will fit anything I put on it. Kind of surprising they don't have something already. I think I'll send them an e-mail and see what they say. A railed Thunder Ranch Special....now that would be nice...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The Monolith looks like it would be a great range gun. I've ogled them on the internet from time to time but unfortunately they aren't available in CA and they don't have a rail. It just kinda makes sense that if the gun is going to have a full length dust cover on the frame to go ahead and machine in a picatinny rail.

The two guns do have some similar lines although the Baer uses a barrel bushing and the Springfield uses a bull barrel. I love my Baer TRS and to me the TRP Operator feels, without shooting it, more like the TRS than my Kimbers do.

I'm going to go shoot the TRP tomorrow and may bring my TLE/RL along for a direct comparison.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Kimber TLE RL II or TRP Operator?

I own both. The SA is just bad looking, all bulked out and flat black. It's a shooter no doubt. Had some problems though. It's back at Genesco because a) the finish is wearing badly, b) the front pin on the rear sight keeps coming out, and c) my M6 doesn't fit the rail (although it fits the Kimber and my Vertec just fine.)

The Kimber is just sweet. Trigger is much better than the SA although I prefer the SAs adjustable sights.

I'd be happy with either one, but if forced to make a choice I'd probably go with the Kimber.

·
Banned
501 Posts
It was my impression the question was about a plain loaded operator NOT the TR version. Between the two base guns Id take the Kimber in a NY heartbeat. But if you are gonna mention the 1300$ SA gun.........now I may just go the other way.

It would compare to the Kimber Gold Combat for price, performance and bells/whistles!

Ive got a TLE and it shoots as well as ANY gun Ive owned....much like my STI Trojan did....................flawless.

Shoot well.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I shot my new TRP Operator today. In a word it's a SWEET pistol. I'll compare it to the TLE/RL because of their rails but considering the TRP Op cost 1.5 times as much as the TLE/RL it isn't really a fair comparison.

I think that the TRP has a better trigger and better slide to frame fit. It was perhaps a tiny bit more accurate after I adjusted the rear sight to raise the POI, however I always shoot freehand and that introduces enough of a variable that makes it difficult to judge the accuracy of one over the other.

Even though the sights on the TRP are three dot night sights the sight picture is different than my Kimbers. The front sight when viewed through the rear has much more daylight on either side of the front blade. With the Kimbers Mepro night sights it's more a matter of finding the front sight through the rears then the gun is aligned, but with the Springfield the extra step of aligning equal amounts of daylight on either side of the front site must be taken.

Sixteen rounds shot freehand at 25 yards produced a 4" group at the extremes with most shots clustered into 2.5" which is pretty good for me. Ten yard groups had all shots connecting.

The gun functioned pretty well although some of my Metalform magazines wouldn't release and had to be pulled clear while others worked fine and these were all the same model of magazine. :confused: I ended up marking the ones that worked best with a paint pen so that problem won't continue to plague me.

Everything fed fine up until round #183 which failed to go into battery. This happened once again at round #291 and both happened mid mag. I stopped at 300 rounds and cleaned and lubed the gun well. The Winchester white box bulk pack ammo that I shot from #101-300 is notoriously dirty and that coupled with a new gun may account for the couple of feed problems. No worries about that at this point though.

The thumb safety has a nice positive click to it without being tough to operate. The grit grips feel better to me while shooting than I thought they might while fondling the gun at the sales counter. The machining and polishing on the bull barrel were exceptional producing a very smooth, snag free surface even around the barrel link and chamber opening.

All in all I'm very pleased with this pistol. It's a unique and well made addition to my fledgling 1911 collection and I'm glad I was able to purchase it before the '04 price increase went into effect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Will admit, the Operator interests me. Shorter rail would REALLY interest me. No comparison from me but the Kimber TLE RLII gets my recomendation (biased). It is without a doubt a masterpiece for the money. Mine has fired flawlessly since removing it from the box. At 800$ (from my master dealer) I honestly feel like I took the gun from the case and robbed him with it. Great weapon. Good luck in your decision. I think I may have to go and fondle/fire an Operator now....maybe a GSR as well (heck while I am there:))...........M

1 - 19 of 19 Posts