1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
One of the uncommonly seen Colt factory .40s lives here. It was a one year only chambering variation of Colt's Enhanced, itself a not too well received Government Model variation there in the 1990s.

The .40 S&W is a really good handgun cartridge and a worthy alternative to the .45 ACP that goes well in the 1911 design. I admire the ballistics of the .40 S&W in a way that I never will with the 9mm. I'd wanted to play with 10mm and .40 S&W when both those cartridges were introduced. Leave it to me to not get around to it until years later, 2014 for the .40 S&W and 2016 for the 10mm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
One of the uncommonly seen Colt factory .40s lives here. It was a one year only chambering variation of Colt's Enhanced, itself a not too well received Government Model variation there in the 1990s.

The .40 S&W is a really good handgun cartridge and a worthy alternative to the .45 ACP that goes well in the 1911 design. I admire the ballistics of the .40 S&W in a way that I never will with the 9mm. I'd wanted to play with 10mm and .40 S&W when both those cartridges were introduced. Leave it to me to not get around to it until years later, 2014 for the .40 S&W and 2016 for the 10mm.

That is a really fine pistol. First one I have ever seen made by Colt. As these young people say. Man that’s cool 😎.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why not go all the way and make it a 10mm? You can shoot long .40's in it if you handload.
I had a TRP long slide in 10mm. I found the weight of the 6" barrel to be a little much. Sold it to a friend and picked up a 10mm TRP 5" and ahhh, love it. I also have a Glock 29 and Glock 20. Solid 10mm pistols but no soul like a 1911. 1911 in 40 cal would be a really nice addition.

What does it take to convert a 45ACP 1911 to a reliable 40 cal? Realistic project or simply something that requires enough time on a smith's bench not so realistic?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I'd rather have a .40 than a 9mm personally. So I wouldn't say you're crazy.
TROOF!

Were Trump actually SERVING the 2nd term he was ELECTED to 😠, I'd be SERIOUSLY looking at swapping all my .45 1911's out for .40's. I'm not getting any younger, and while I like the 1911 design, moving to a .40 - even in full-house loads - will be an easier ride for an old guy like me.

With the craziness of firearm and ammo availability right now, Trump will hafta be elected to a THIRD term (and ACTUALLY serve it), before things straighten out, I believe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried finding a 40 S&W 1911 in 4 or 5 inch barrel without any luck. Contacted SA and was told they quit making 40 S&W. If I could have found a EMP4, wouldn't be getting a 10mm. Came across a sweet deal for allot of brass, bullets, and primers recently while on vacation in another state along with a RIA 10mm thats $250 cheaper than the only one I found in my state. Can't wait until I get it and start reloading for it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
There was a time I wanted a 1911 in 40 as I started shooting centerfire with a 1911 and my first CC was an officers model but then the 40sw came out and I had to have one ! . I have carried a 40sw as a primary handgun till 7 months ago when I went back to a lw commander in 45 . I did acquire an m&p pistol in a family trade I set up for a daughter 8 years ago . MY daughter wanted a smaller 9mm she could carry so I ended up with a 4.25 40sw with thumb safety and has a apex fss trigger kit . Trigger pull weight is 3lb 6oz and if your trigger reset follower type shooter it is about as goods as a tuned up 1911 carry commander you would carry as it still has a little take up and over travel that I can adjust out with a set screw but its a good carry weight and function . Its also a heck of a shooter unlike many early m&p 9mm's . I no have the eye sight for open sights but a grandson can tap off 25 yards 2 to 2.5" groups with stock sights and 155gr coated swc loads . I have 45 years with 1911's but a 40sw 1911 is not longer on my want to have list . Now a kart 38super barrel and bushing is in for my 9mm 5" ronin 1911 I have . Just need to fit the barrel or have it fit and change springs !

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts

For a few years my EDC CCW was chambered in .40S&W. The LPD was issuing sidearms in that caliber for uniformed police. So one less toe-hold for the 2A- CCW-hostile D.A.* to use persecuting a S.D. shooting. The .40S&W ballistics are pretty comforting as to its likely effectiveness.

*- After that D.A. was replaced, I resumed .45ACP ... more the sake of the pistol than the caliber.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I tried finding a 40 S&W 1911 in 4 or 5 inch barrel without any luck. Contacted SA and was told they quit making 40 S&W. If I could have found a EMP4, wouldn't be getting a 10mm. Came across a sweet deal for allot of brass, bullets, and primers recently while on vacation in another state along with a RIA 10mm thats $250 cheaper than the only one I found in my state. Can't wait until I get it and start reloading for it.
Loading for 10mm ... sigh ... If I'd get off the dime on loading ... ah check that ... For a moment there, I was thinking that loading 10s to .40 velocity, there'd be no need to swap barrels and recoil springs between .40S&W and 10mm. Upon typing "... recoil springs ..." it hit me those would still need swapped in the m1911s.

Reactions: AZdesert1911

·
Registered
60 Posts
Loading for 10mm ... sigh ... If I'd get off the dime on loading ... ah check that ... For a moment there, I was thinking that loading 10s to .40 velocity, there'd be no need to swap barrels and recoil springs between .40S&W and 10mm. Upon typing "... recoil springs ..." it hit me those would still need swapped in the m1911s.
I use the 22# spring for 10mm and 40. Works just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
hmmm, my G29 / 27 uses the same recoil system for both calibers. But my DW convertibles came with a spring dedicated to each caliber. Certainly I can easily believe that the .40S&W spring would work for 10mm, but somewhat concerned that might allow too much slide inertia for the long-term life of the pistol. But I'll scale the springs ... if the 10mm is ~22#, I'll give it a try with the .40s.

Thanks,

Reactions: Nanuk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'll second that. I built my project 1911 with 10mm in mind, but with the long wait time on Bar Sto's backlog I decided since I had literally everything else I'd pop a cheap-ish .40 barrel in the pistol for now and finish it up. Works fine with the #20 recoil and #25 hammer springs I bought for the 10mm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hmmm, my G29 / 27 uses the same recoil system for both calibers. But my DW convertibles came with a spring dedicated to each caliber. Certainly I can easily believe that the .40S&W spring would work for 10mm, but somewhat concerned that might allow too much slide inertia for the long-term life of the pistol. But I'll scale the springs ... if the 10mm is ~22#, I'll give it a try with the .40s.

Thanks,
That is what came in the 10mm.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Bought a 10mm Kimber Stainless Target II several years ago and lucked into several extra Kimber barrels, one being in .40 S&W. With the ammo it likes it runs just like the rest..

Recently a friend who I let shoot one of my Supers fell in love and started looking for a gun. Since I had two Kimbers that would run most ammo made, I sold him the 10mm with the extra 9mm and .38 Super barrels..

Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
I picked up a 40SW Colt Defender a few years back. Changed the trigger, sights and installed some Colt medallion grips. Definitely one of my favorites!

2220406F-B030-40D5-B030-104B2AEEDAF7.jpeg
FF52EE40-D98C-4319-9646-AC7A0FE872FB.jpeg

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
What does it take to convert a 45ACP 1911 to a reliable 40 cal? Realistic project or simply something that requires enough time on a smith's bench not so realistic?
A new top end, new ejector, new slide stop, magazine and recoil spring. Seems a lot, but it is really isn't. I did all mine with parts from eBay.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Is this place legit??? Seems way to cheap. $699.00 plus $30 shipping. Image is of brand new firearm but does not say used or new. They show more than one in stock as well. This is in 40 cal.

https://premiumgundeals.com/product/sig-sauer-1911-traditional-match-elite-40-sw-pistol/

Premium gun deals is the name. I did order one to reserve it; I have to pay them via Zelle or various money wire services, no credit cards. So I can readily bow out without penalty.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts