1911Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not a close friend but I worked with him a few times. Close enough we have each other private cell #'s. He is an ATF Agent in compliance side. ATF has received numerous complaint about money accepted and never shipping the firearm. Felt too good to be true and is.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
THAT IS CHEAP....if I didn't already have the Kimber I would buy one of those... Bought a SIG Nightmare Carry in .357 SIG last year and it has been excellent...

One could drop 10mm, 9mm and .38 Super barrels in that gun and still be under what most people are just paying for a good quality 1911 on the auction sites...

Bob

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to love the 40, BUT over hundreds of rounds, different bullets, different powders could never equal the accuracy of my 45s, my RIA was a great pistol, but went to 9mm in a couple 1911s, happier now that I did!

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
The 40 in a decent sized platform can be pleasant to shoot.
A friend of mine runs a compact M&P and it’s just flat out annoying.
Kinda like a pack of firecrackers in your hand.
Nothin’ “smooth” about that at all! 💥💥💥

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
The large corner radii on the M&P improve concealability and holster-comfort ... but at a price. My G29 / 27 convertible isn't bad shooting .40S&W, tolerable at 10mm. That G29 broad backstrap does better distributing recoil. My M&Ps are all what are call "full sized" IOWs commander-sized by m1911 standards; and yes, do fine at .40 or .45ACP.

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
29 Posts
Short answer is no you are not crazy. However, if you do not load 40 S&W already you now have the expense of dies, brass, bullets etc. Why go to that expense if you are loading 45 ACP? If not loading either or are loading 40 S&W already, and want a 1911 in 40 S&W go for it. You have all you need except the pistol. I also understand not wanting a 9mm 1911 and would never try to diswade you unless you are competing in USPSA single stack. If you are and have a .45 ACP already you really need a 9mm as well. Not too many clubs know who to design good stages for hicap, sorta hiccap, and loc cap stages. With lots of clubs foregoing short, medium, and standards stages in favor of long COFs, having a 10 round 1911 in necessary or live with one make up shot and lots, and lots of reloads.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Yep. I've found my 'Full size' (Commander length) M&P .40 is snappier than my .40 1911, which quite frankly feels like shooting a .45 caliber 1911. So I imagine that if you combine that with a compact barrel length it's not going to be an enjoyable range day. I kind of liked the .40 in my M&P. I really like it in a 1911, and now I like my M&P a little bit less.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Para Ordnance P16 that is pleasant enough to shoot. I sent one barrel off to Tripp Research and now have a conversion gun! One barrel and set of springs is for 10mm and the other is for .40 S&W. Both shoot very accurate! I also have a Commander Size RRA 10mm that I picked up pretty cheap (1st RRA I've ever owned or shot). I have to say that I was impressed by the accuracy from that little carry piece!

I'm a fan of 1911s, so have some in 9mm, one in .40, a couple in 10mm and of course .45ACP.

Blessings,
Doc

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
818 Posts
Here is my plastic gun which is great in 40 s&w a H&K USP40. Going on 81 years old if I did not have the shakes I would have done better :) .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Here is my plastic gun which is great in 40 s&w a H&K USP40. Going on 81 years old if I did not have the shakes I would have done better :) .
View attachment 614424
AVG you have 30 or so years on me and my you are shooting well! I hope to be in the same boat down the line! I have that very same USP and it sure is a fine pistol. Stay helathy and keep at it!!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts