1911Forum banner

Kinda Want a 40 1911

3K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  Biscut 
#1 ·
Am I crazy? I'd really like a TRP type 40 cal on the 1911...comander or full size.

I'm not in love with a specific caliber. I load for nearly 20 cals. Same time I don't really like the 9mm in 1911. No reason, just don't.

#26 ·
TROOF!

Were Trump actually SERVING the 2nd term he was ELECTED to 😠, I'd be SERIOUSLY looking at swapping all my .45 1911's out for .40's. I'm not getting any younger, and while I like the 1911 design, moving to a .40 - even in full-house loads - will be an easier ride for an old guy like me.

With the craziness of firearm and ammo availability right now, Trump will hafta be elected to a THIRD term (and ACTUALLY serve it), before things straighten out, I believe.

#3 ·
Why not? .40 is a great caliber, bit more capacity, and an excuse to buy another 1911. TRP is a quality weapon.

#25 ·
I had a TRP long slide in 10mm. I found the weight of the 6" barrel to be a little much. Sold it to a friend and picked up a 10mm TRP 5" and ahhh, love it. I also have a Glock 29 and Glock 20. Solid 10mm pistols but no soul like a 1911. 1911 in 40 cal would be a really nice addition.

What does it take to convert a 45ACP 1911 to a reliable 40 cal? Realistic project or simply something that requires enough time on a smith's bench not so realistic?

#10 ·
Am I crazy? I'd really like a TRP type 40 cal on the 1911...comander or full size.

I'm not in love with a specific caliber. I load for nearly 20 cals. Same time I don't really like the 9mm in 1911. No reason, just don't.
Hello if you have a commander in 40 S&W it’s just a barrel and magazine change to a 357 Sig. You will like the performance of that cal.

#12 · (Edited)

The m1911 makes a great platform for .45ACP and for anything from .22LR to high-speed, low-drag such as 10mm. Not crazy to want a 1911 in .40S&W.

Reactions: bmcgilvray
#22 ·
One of the uncommonly seen Colt factory .40s lives here. It was a one year only chambering variation of Colt's Enhanced, itself a not too well received Government Model variation there in the 1990s.

The .40 S&W is a really good handgun cartridge and a worthy alternative to the .45 ACP that goes well in the 1911 design. I admire the ballistics of the .40 S&W in a way that I never will with the 9mm. I'd wanted to play with 10mm and .40 S&W when both those cartridges were introduced. Leave it to me to not get around to it until years later, 2014 for the .40 S&W and 2016 for the 10mm.

#23 ·
One of the uncommonly seen Colt factory .40s lives here. It was a one year only chambering variation of Colt's Enhanced, itself a not too well received Government Model variation there in the 1990s.

The .40 S&W is a really good handgun cartridge and a worthy alternative to the .45 ACP that goes well in the 1911 design. I admire the ballistics of the .40 S&W in a way that I never will with the 9mm. I'd wanted to play with 10mm and .40 S&W when both those cartridges were introduced. Leave it to me to not get around to it until years later, 2014 for the .40 S&W and 2016 for the 10mm.

That is a really fine pistol. First one I have ever seen made by Colt. As these young people say. Man that’s cool 😎.

#27 ·
I tried finding a 40 S&W 1911 in 4 or 5 inch barrel without any luck. Contacted SA and was told they quit making 40 S&W. If I could have found a EMP4, wouldn't be getting a 10mm. Came across a sweet deal for allot of brass, bullets, and primers recently while on vacation in another state along with a RIA 10mm thats $250 cheaper than the only one I found in my state. Can't wait until I get it and start reloading for it.

#30 · (Edited)
Loading for 10mm ... sigh ... If I'd get off the dime on loading ... ah check that ... For a moment there, I was thinking that loading 10s to .40 velocity, there'd be no need to swap barrels and recoil springs between .40S&W and 10mm. Upon typing "... recoil springs ..." it hit me those would still need swapped in the m1911s.

Reactions: AZdesert1911
#28 ·
There was a time I wanted a 1911 in 40 as I started shooting centerfire with a 1911 and my first CC was an officers model but then the 40sw came out and I had to have one ! . I have carried a 40sw as a primary handgun till 7 months ago when I went back to a lw commander in 45 . I did acquire an m&p pistol in a family trade I set up for a daughter 8 years ago . MY daughter wanted a smaller 9mm she could carry so I ended up with a 4.25 40sw with thumb safety and has a apex fss trigger kit . Trigger pull weight is 3lb 6oz and if your trigger reset follower type shooter it is about as goods as a tuned up 1911 carry commander you would carry as it still has a little take up and over travel that I can adjust out with a set screw but its a good carry weight and function . Its also a heck of a shooter unlike many early m&p 9mm's . I no have the eye sight for open sights but a grandson can tap off 25 yards 2 to 2.5" groups with stock sights and 155gr coated swc loads . I have 45 years with 1911's but a 40sw 1911 is not longer on my want to have list . Now a kart 38super barrel and bushing is in for my 9mm 5" ronin 1911 I have . Just need to fit the barrel or have it fit and change springs !

#37 ·
Bought a 10mm Kimber Stainless Target II several years ago and lucked into several extra Kimber barrels, one being in .40 S&W. With the ammo it likes it runs just like the rest..

Recently a friend who I let shoot one of my Supers fell in love and started looking for a gun. Since I had two Kimbers that would run most ammo made, I sold him the 10mm with the extra 9mm and .38 Super barrels..

Bob

#40 ·
Is this place legit??? Seems way to cheap. $699.00 plus $30 shipping. Image is of brand new firearm but does not say used or new. They show more than one in stock as well. This is in 40 cal.

https://premiumgundeals.com/product/sig-sauer-1911-traditional-match-elite-40-sw-pistol/

Premium gun deals is the name. I did order one to reserve it; I have to pay them via Zelle or various money wire services, no credit cards. So I can readily bow out without penalty.

#41 ·
Not a close friend but I worked with him a few times. Close enough we have each other private cell #'s. He is an ATF Agent in compliance side. ATF has received numerous complaint about money accepted and never shipping the firearm. Felt too good to be true and is.

#42 ·
THAT IS CHEAP....if I didn't already have the Kimber I would buy one of those... Bought a SIG Nightmare Carry in .357 SIG last year and it has been excellent...

One could drop 10mm, 9mm and .38 Super barrels in that gun and still be under what most people are just paying for a good quality 1911 on the auction sites...

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.