1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of shipping my Commander slide to King's Gunworks for the King-Tappan sights. Does anyone have any exp with these?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know the sights du jour are the Novaks, but I put King-Tappan sights on my GM about 6 months ago and really like them. The front sight is very easy to acquire. Note: I have not had any problem with the staked-on front sight. I have about 500 rounds of hardball through the gun since the sights were installed and the front sight is completely secure.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes,A good friend has used King-Tappan sights on His many Gov't. Models since the mid. 1970's.This fellow has been to Gunsite several times and was once the GURU to all of Our friends.If I were to vary from Novaks I'd probably use King-Tappans Myself.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I also am a fan. The serrations do not run to the top which can cause some confusion on the sight picture. Espically if the first serration starts .015 down from the top. Same sight picture as the BoMar.
geo ><>

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took your advice, or just did what I was going to do anyhow, and sent the slide to Kings. I got it back yesterday and the sights are very nice. A lot easier to see than the standard sights. Will let you know how they work after I get them to the range.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
The horizontal line on the King-Tappan front sight is intended to give you an index for 100 yard shooting. Line up the line with the top of the rear sight and you should be pretty close to "on" at 100 yards...a neat feature.

I used the King-Tappans many years ago. They work fine. If I were to quibble, my complaints would be that the front sight must be staked on (or repainted after silver-soldering it on). I would prefer a cross-dovetail configuration. I would also prefer a set screw in the rear sight.

Rosco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts