1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who will be entering the CG soon. I want to give him a knife.
I'm not new to military service or knives. I did two tours USMC and one USN.
I'm thinking that a Kabar or Randall would be too large for all-around use. He may find himself doing swimmer rescue work, etc.,. and a large knife can get in the way.
Any suggestions ref. a medium-sized (4"-5" blade) fixed blade that can handle the elements, including salt water?
A variety of attachment options would be a big plus.
Thanks in advance. Ray

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you take a look at any fo the divers knives, seems like there should be something there. I carried an old Marbles hunting knife back in the 50s in the Army while in Korea. It had about a 3.5" blade.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Strider makes some sweet divers knives - pricey, but very nice. Check them out maybe..........Many people buy Striders just to own one and look at them - which is great - but they were meant to be used. I have several different styles and they get used as tools - hard - and they last. They are pricey though. Maybe look at some of the tactical options that Buck makes - they make stuff that many are not aware of and the price it much better also.

Just some ideas

·
Registered
23 Posts
Around water, use what the Seals use.

- SOG Seal Knife (might be a little big for general use, The smaller version is the Seal Pup)

Max

·
Registered
538 Posts
Benchmade sells some fixed blade knives for use in water. I would think the CG has plenty of specialized tools for rescue work.

If you want a more general purpose fixed blade, and you are ok with S30V steel,
I like the Strider SA-L and DB-L, they have a solid feeling grip and they aren't too big and heavy.

Nice and maybe not too heavy...
The Strider MT/Mod 10 Sniper is one of my favorites, 5/ 1/2"

A bit heavier...
The Strider CPT 4 7/8"
The Strider Mk1/Mod 10 GG is a nice size and nice grip, 5 1/4"
The Chris Reeve 5 1/2" Green Beret

·
Registered
271 Posts
For rescue work in the Coast Guard I would definatly carry a Emerson P-Sark. I just gave 1 of these to 1 othe paramedics I work with who just enlisted in the Navy.He is going into para rescue.I kow its not a fixed. Strider WP is hard to beat for a small fixed blade, or maybe even the DB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Realistically it would be best to get your friend a good multi-tool like a Leatherman, SOG or Victorinox, they will definitely use it. Stainless would be best because of the exposure to water and water spray.

The next best option is to get a good folder (3"-4" blade). Benchmade or Spyderco make some reasonably priced models but other higher priced options (Strider, etc.) would also be of use. Serrations are good for cutting line but not required if the knife is kept reasonably sharp.

Fixed blades are typically not carried unless it is specifically used for a rating or duty and part of the uniform, e.g. rescue swimmer or tactical team member. Anything larger than 4" will definitely get a look and possibly have them talking to the XO or XPO. Also I can count the number of times I've needed to potentially use a fixed blade on one hand in 13 years of service, but that's just been my experience.

Whatever you get if it comes with a sheath or pouch make sure it is dark in color, black preferably so that it will match their uniform.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a number of so-called yachtman's knives. All have heavy sheepfoot blade and a marlinspike. On most of them the marlinspike locks but the blade does not.

The ideal knife would be a yachtman's knife with locking spike AND blade.

However, aside from the permanent party of the Eagle training ship, most Coast Guardsmen work with more mechanical devices than rope and canvas these days. A multi-tool might get more use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would take a close look at Spyderco's Salt line. They are made from H1 steel and will NOT rust.

If he is going into the CG then he will be around salt spray quite a bit. I would get him something consevertive and utility based.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a million for your responses. I appreciate it.
I was a rotorhead in the USMC and USN. Did some aircrew time in the Corps, CH-46's. We had that POS ASAF survival knife in our issue vests. I always replaced mine with a Kabar. I did find many uses for that knife.
The young man who will be receiving the knife is just starting his career, I reckon without knowing what his rating will be I should probably just get him a good multi-tool for now.
I've never trusted the locks on folding knives to hold up in a life or death situation. No way I'd trust one to pry with (I know, a knife is'nt a prybar, but if you need to pry to save your behind it sure is).
Any recommendations on that multi-tool? I've had a couple of Leathermans over the years but I'm not really up on whats out there now.
Thanks again, Ray

·
Registered
699 Posts
Another vote here to look at the Spyderco Salt line. I've heard they dont hold an edge as well as other steels, but the trade off is the corrosion resistance. If you get the wrong steel, it will pit, corrode, and rust unless cleaned and oiled repeatedly. Even better corrosion resistance would be titanium, like some of the new dive knifes, but it has trade-offs as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agent Clark said:
Another vote here to look at the Spyderco Salt line. I've heard they dont hold an edge as well as other steels...
Just FYI-I have done a lot of research into the H1 steel and the Spyderco Salt line. In speaking with Sal (the owner of the company) at Spyderco, the H-1 is a work hardened steel. As it gets used the edge retention factors goes up. When serrations are cut into it for the Spyderedge, it puts a lot of "work" into the steel and lets it keep its edge better then a plain edge Salt knife.

H1 will scratch easy. So if you need the knife to look really pretty, beware. Other then the fine scratches it will get over time, this steel is excellent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
go with the Spyderco salt, with the serrated edge

it's a great knife, that will hold up well, and when he loses it, you don't have $300 bucks in a knife

granted, I was in the Army, but kept a kbar on the LBE, and a spyderco in my pocket...and was fortunate not to lose either...used them both extensively

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Having gone to sea for a living for thirty two years.

I would recommend a Myrechin knife. They are not giving them away. But he will never need to buy another one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts