1911Forum banner

What Grain 357 Magnum has more Knock Down Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if im posting this in the correct place! Mods feel free to move this if nessary. It involves ammo and self defence.

What I want to know is which has more knock Down or Killing power if you will. The 158Grain 357JHP which is of course faster! Or the slower 180 Grain JHP. I dont really care about which brand just some data..
Or would a 125Grain JHP as it can move around 1450FPS have more knock down power.
I guess what im asking which is better size or speed. '
The round will be for self defence around the house and self defence while hunting.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
For a dual purpose round...the 158 is best for protection in the woods.
If it was strictly for use on 2 legged critters...I would have voted 125.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do the physics = Math.

Go figure.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
My thoughts:

1. Knock down power does not equal killing power.

2. Which bullet is most effective is not a matter of "opinion". There are authoritative studies on the subject.

This is just another version of the light/fast vs. heavy/slow debate.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
No bullet from any handheld gun knocks any big animal or person down. They fall down for other reasons. "Knockdown power" is a misnomer.

Of your listed .357 Magnum choices, I like 158gr JHP for sake of penetration, irrespective of barrel length.
For hunting purposes, 180gr may well be better, especially from longer (5.5-8") barrels.
The 125gr JHP loads have the reputation of working in defensive circumstances from 4" barrel guns, but they usually have excessive muzzle blast and flash compared to the others, IME.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Knock down power is akin to stopping power, which is mythical.

Of interest, some times the pure math of it dose not always equal a superior defensive round. Some bullet styles/weights have different advantages.

Do a search both here and other forums like 10-8 and TF, and look up Dr. Roberts.

G

·
YEs it is the wrong forum. The staff here do not move threads. It is much easier, but requires more work on your part to contact the staff and ask before you post when you are unsure. We do not make the decision for you after the fact.

Now to answer your question. There is no answer. What you are asking does not exist. Simple ballistics that are published by the manufacturer will give muzzle energy in foot pounds, but that is from a given barrel length. Change any parameter in the ballistics test and all the numbers change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.