1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally came in the mail the other day, the new Knoxx adj tactical stock
for my 590 mossy. As for first impressions it is very robust in construction, the "tube" part of the stock seems to be larger than a normal M-4 type stock and the walls of the stock part are thicker too. The adjusting part is a little sticky but I think that will smooth up with use. Also the pistol grip is a good compromise its not too big not too slim but it fills the hand and should work for most ppl. As far as trigger finger reach goes it puts your finger in the right place without reaching or stretching. The cheek weld is very good and the butt pad is wide and large. All in all a well thought out piece of kit. As I will be using this gun in a 3 gun match on sunday I will get to put it through its paces to see if it was worth the money, you see in the league that I shoot in, the shotgun portion may have 30-50 rds fired in under 2 min and #4 high brass kinda leaves my shoulder a little soft so to speak. But this match we will be using slugs to start off the shotgun portion of the match so its sink or swim . After the match on sunday I will post my impressions.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The results..............

Well the match is over and the Knoxx stock performed fantastic! I fired 10 PMC 2 3/4 max slugs rated at 1600fps, and I thought I was shooting my AR! The stock absorbed so much recoil that I have no bruise on my shoulder at all,
the stock soaks it up with very little muzzle rise allowing you to stay on target, so the 2nd shot is right there with no "wincing" of the recoil to worry about. This product really works as advertised and was worth the money I spent on it. Nexts months match will have a longer string of fire, 25-50 rounds and I will report on how it holds up, but so far so good.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My father got one for his 590A1, and we shot a lot of wolf powerbuck, and winchester 3in. slugs, and it made a huge difference. We shot his side by side with my 590 with factory stock and that knoxx tactical stock makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well as luck would have it I had a buddy of mine take it to the range for a few days and shoot the snot out of it. He is a RO for a local PD,{don't ask from where because I won't tell you and it dosent matter anyways}. He told me that after shoting over 100rds of either slug or 00buck he was very impressed, as were the other RO's there who I take all had some time with it. He also had absolutley no bruise whatsoever on his shoulder,they also luved the adj stock to fit the different builds on the ppl that shot it.

As far as I can tell this stock is more than worth the money and all that have used it came away impressed. To the people at KNOXX WELL DONE! :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've tried to tell people how good it is and they give me a blank stare and write me off as crazy.

Larry from Knoxx told me the trick is to try and hold pistol grip still. Just place the butt on your shoulder firmly, but dont pull it in tight. The stock has two recoil systems in it, one in the pistol grip and one in the butt. When you do that the gun recoils straight back over the grip with very little muzzle rise.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Results from my last shoot

I finally had a chance to really put the new stock through its paces and it worked great! The string of fire had 45 shotgun targets in it and 3/4 had to be engaged at from behind cover, this is really where the stock showed its stuff. Even with high brass loads and with my body off center I was able to engage the targets without losing my balance, the targets that were shot on the move it was the same thing, sight-shoot-next target,sight-shoot next target. and after all was said and done not so much as even a broken blood vessel on my shoulder! the only thing I have to get used too is the lack of muzzle climb as the stock pushes back and not up off of the shoulder. but that is more of a getting used to thing than anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old post...but I've been doing some research. I was also considering a Knoxx for 3gun. I don't want to toot my own horn too much, but I do pretty good with a pump, most of the time finishing a little better than middle of the pack overall against the semiauto guys, but I'm looking for an equalizer.

From my research it seems the Knoxx stocks are very effective but they always show it or claim its effectiveness with heavy slugs and/or buck loads. I know this shows the most dramatic difference, but how does it work with lighter 7 1/2 birdshot loads? I'm not really looking at it from a "tactical" perspective (its ability to shoot defensive loads) but from a "gamers" prospective. Birdshot is already pretty light on the shoulder, will the Knoxx stock reduce that in half (probably wouldn't feel anything!) or will its effectiveness be less dramatic.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the non-pistol gripped Comp stock- same mechanism. High brass 1-1/4 inch birdshot will activate the load spring in it, but anything from walmart won't really work the recoil reducer too hard.

It is good for buckshot and magnums. It is a must for slugs if you want to shoot for a long time.

I'm thinking of taking mine off since I like the original slimness of the original stock.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ArnisAndy, the Knoxx tac-stock had 2 recoil systems in the stock one on the grip and one in the stock that goes against your shoulder, when shooting low brass shells I have found tha recoil is reduced with the shells also, its just the main recoil systen isnt really given a work out so the other system does more of the recoil absorbing.

Hope this helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.