1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a commander length 1911 and have narrowed the choice down to a blued Kobra Carry or a Wilson Proffessional. My question is this, last night I read a review of the Kobra Carry and it listed the test groups measuring 3 inches at 15 yards! Can this be correct? My Pro Raptor shoots better than that. Can anyone who has a Kobra Carry please tell me what you have experienced with the accurracy of their pistol. I am not looking for a bullseye gun. This will be a daily carry, I'm just hoping it would shoot better than 3 inch groups.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've only put 150 rds through my Kobra and @15 yds with Win White box I shot 2 inch or better groups. When I switched to 165gr hydra low recoils, I shot about 1.5. A couple of guys at the range shot my gun and acheived the same type of groupings. That's good enough for me to hit what I need to hit. My Kobra is my karry:p weapon!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was just looking at a review of an EB Bobtail commander sized gun in THE GUN DIGEST BOOK Of THE 1911. It was one of the more accurate guns reviewed, from a Ransom Rest it averaged 1.0 from 25 yards. The load was 230 gr sierra JHP over Tightgroup.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
prescott said:
I am going to purchase a commander length 1911 and have narrowed the choice down to a blued Kobra Carry or a Wilson Proffessional. My question is this, last night I read a review of the Kobra Carry and it listed the test groups measuring 3 inches at 15 yards! Can this be correct? My Pro Raptor shoots better than that. Can anyone who has a Kobra Carry please tell me what you have experienced with the accurracy of their pistol. I am not looking for a bullseye gun. This will be a daily carry, I'm just hoping it would shoot better than 3 inch groups.
I just sighted in my second Kobra Carry 2 days ago. Off hand I was getting
1 inch or better at 15 yards. Literally I could shoot a bottle cap at 15yds,
1 shot, with the fixed factory sights.

For best results use 230gr ball. Brown Recommends Winchester or Federal.

At 25 yards, I can put 3 out of 5 rounds easily into a 4 inch square. This is
also off-hand. The other two are still on the 8 1/2 x11 piece of paper the
target is printed on. If I bench it I can do better but my shooting drops
dramatically at 25 yards off-hand.

Brown says this 5" guns shoot about 1 & 1/2 inches at 50 yards. He states
that his commander guns shoot close enough that you would need to
bench it at 50 yards to see a difference. But the average user would
not notice a difference off-hand per my experiences above.

I decided on EB for my needs and taste. But in the interest of fairness I
have shot a CCW Q course with a Commander sized Wilson CQB. It was
as accurate as any 1911 I have shoot at combat ranges.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
40 Posts
most accurate gun I have ever owned. 3" groups standing at 45 yards with win white box. no problems, 2 malfunction (dirty). better than the wilson i have shot. youll be very happy

·
Registered
40 Posts
most accurate gun I have ever owned. 3" groups standing at 45 yards with win white box. no problems, 2 malfunction (dirty). better than the wilson i have shot. youll be very happy

·
Registered
745 Posts
doing better than P2

I am shooting more accurately with my KC than with my Les Baer P-II, with its 5" barrel and adjustable sights, and light trigger. Whether the KC is more accurate or it is better suited ergonomically, or brings out the best in me, whatever, I am shooting better with it. Fixed sights, shorter barrel and all. I certainly cannot say it is less accurate.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Bear in mind, Ed Brown has fought "accuracy guarantees" for years. He has never liked them, and I totally understand why. As an Ed Brown owner, and dealer, I can tell you that his guns have an excellent feel, and very good accuracy. And, quite frankly, his guns are finished...well...I'll just say get the Brown. ;)

Be well!

·
Registered
759 Posts
...as a Pro Raptor AND KC owner I can tell you with confidence that the KC is CLEARLY the better of the 2 pistols in ALL categories - including accuracy. Love my Raptor - trust my KC with my life!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have both guns you are considering. I like my Wilson Pro. It is a superb pistol. My 2 KC's are my favorite though. Either gun will make you very happy. The Armor-tuff finish on the Pro is very rugged and durable and I never have to worry about holster wear ect. However the blue and stainless finishes on the KC's are exquisite and the blue give it a worn character look. The accuracy on the KC's is less than 2 inches and so is the Wilson. If Ihad a chouce I would probably pick the Ed Brown because of it's classic clean lines. Good Luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
I get a little amused by these accuracy claims/questions. 3" at 15 yds is outstanding accuracy and certainly more than adequate for defensive purposes which is what the KC was built for. It's not a target gun as indicated by its 4 1/4" barrel and fixed sights.

I would raise a suspicious eyebrow to anyone claiming 1" groups offhand outside of 10 yds. Not saying it can't be done, just that it can't be done by many. And I can't see 1.5" at 50 yards rest or no rest. What's more is that in aboslutely zero real world situations, which is what EB, Les Baer, Bill Wilson and most others are building guns for, is it going to matter if you shoot the bad guy in a 1" group or 3" group.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Mike'sgooddeal said:
Ballistically speaking a 3" group in the bad guy is better. More damage than all in the same hole. :biglaugh:

What the old timers called "shootin for trauma"

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
cw1974 said:
I get a little amused by these accuracy claims/questions. 3" at 15 yds is outstanding accuracy and certainly more than adequate for defensive purposes which is what the KC was built for. It's not a target gun as indicated by its 4 1/4" barrel and fixed sights.

And I can't see 1.5" at 50 yards rest or no rest. What's more is that in aboslutely zero real world situations, which is what EB, Les Baer, Bill Wilson and most others are building guns for, is it going to matter if you shoot the bad guy in a 1" group or 3" group.
Yeah, your right about the real world accuracy in the sense of speed.
When I am shooting 3 steel targets "trying" for under 1.5 seconds
I am not shooting in the same way I would shoot a tight group.
But. Big BUT. For me, I like having the 1" group gun. If a bullet I launch
misses the target, I know it was me and my use of the sights that
did it. Not the pistol. I also like having the ability to make that 1/1000
shot with the same pistol I shoot combat accuracy for.

This is a debate that goes on and on for others. But for me I made up my
mind when I sold all of the "other" pistols and just picked up a few
Ed Browns.

cw1974 said:
I would raise a suspicious eyebrow to anyone claiming 1" groups offhand outside of 10 yds. Not saying it can't be done, just that it can't be done by many..
I do this every day I am at the range with both a Kobra Carry and an
Executive Elite. I can't do it at 25 or 20 yds. But I can do it between
10-15 yards all day. And I am not what the experts consider a good
shooter.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greyson said:
Yeah, your right about the real world accuracy in the sense of speed.
When I am shooting 3 steel targets "trying" for under 1.5 seconds
I am not shooting in the same way I would shoot a tight group.
But. Big BUT. For me, I like having the 1" group gun. If a bullet I launch
misses the target, I know it was me and my use of the sights that
did it. Not the pistol. I also like having the ability to make that 1/1000
shot with the same pistol I shoot combat accuracy for.
I can certainly appreciate that. Its the same reason I have a NM barrel and bushing in my carry gun. But to question the accuracy of a gun capable of 3" groups @ 15yds, when it is designed as a defensive handgun as the KC is, doesn't make seem to make much sense to me.

Greyson said:
I do this every day I am at the range with both a Kobra Carry and an
Executive Elite. I can't do it at 25 or 20 yds. But I can do it between
10-15 yards all day. And I am not what the experts consider a good
shooter.

Regards,
Greyson
If you're placing shots within a 1" group @ 15yds, you are an outstanding shooter, defensive, competition or otherwise. That kind of accuracy is often claimed and rarely achieved.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
CW1974,

It's human nature for someone to want to know how accurate their
first "custom" 1911 will be. When he asks the question, it isn't an
indication he wishes to be a IPSC shooter so I don't read too much into it.
I am certain Prescott with be very happy with a KC. I am also willing to
bet he will get better groups than 3" at 15yds.

As for my groups, thank-you. I appreciate your compliment. But my 1" groups
are with 2-3 shots. Not 5 shots. :cool:

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
44 Posts
You'll love the Brown Kobra Carry, I sold my Les Baer and Kimbers after getting the KC. Now just have STIs and Brown, most likely will wind up with another Brown as they are so comfortable and accurate.
Have fun
Dave

·
Banned
575 Posts
My Kobra Carry is the least accurate 1911 I own. My two Kimbers, a full sized Gold Combat and a Pro sized (4") Tactical Pro were much more accurate. In fact, the Tactical Pro was by far the most accurate. But as a carry gun the ability to shoot 1" groups out to 25 yards is not necessary. The Tactical Pro was sold as the KC became the daily carry gun. At 15 yards I can put a round into the BG's eye of my choice. More than enough defensive accuracy for me. If I'm 25 yards I'm either running, hiding or pulling out the carbine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts