1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a Kobra Carry. I have short fingers, and for my two Les Baers I had Les install a short trigger and bushings for slim grips. I'm guessing I would want to do the same with the KC. Any notion of turnaround time for something like this?

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Ed Brown refused to make any changes to the pistol for me a couple of years ago so I fitted a short trigger and thin grips myself. (And changed the frame safety.)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuck S said:
Ed Brown refused to make any changes to the pistol for me a couple of years ago so I fitted a short trigger and thin grips myself. (And changed the frame safety.)

-- Chuck
They refused to make any changes? I gather customer service isn't their strong suit. Gives me pause about getting one of their pistols. Thanks.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Ed Brown is a manufacturer of stock pistols, not custom pistols.

Their options are extremely limited: ambidextrous safety (or not), extra magazines, and choice of finish (blued, stainless, two tone, black paint) The've recently (since my purchase) offered pistols with slick slides, no lettering on either side.

That's it!

Ya want a different trigger, different sights, grips, etc? Ain't gonna be done there, they don't do custom work.

To get reliable ejection of full length, live FMJ cartridges (during training drills) I had to have a gunsmith mill out the front lower corner of the ejection port. Their solution was to shorten the ejector, but wouldn't guarantee good ejection if I did. They refused to even consider the machine work.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck S said:
Ed Brown is a manufacturer of stock pistols, not custom pistols.

Their options are extremely limited: ambidextrous safety (or not), extra magazines, and choice of finish (blued, stainless, two tone, black paint) The've recently (since my purchase) offered pistols with slick slides, no lettering on either side.

That's it!

Ya want a different trigger, different sights, grips, etc? Ain't gonna be done there, they don't do custom work.

To get reliable ejection of full length, live FMJ cartridges (during training drills) I had to have a gunsmith mill out the front lower corner of the ejection port. Their solution was to shorten the ejector, but wouldn't guarantee good ejection if I did. They refused to even consider the machine work.

-- Chuck
Thanks. I'm sure they're great pistols, but I think I'll stick with my Baers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

-- Chuck
I'm thinking of getting a Kobra Carry and those grips are sharp looking! Are they slimline Alumagrips?

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Slim Alumagrips over slim bushings.

Get the bushing driver so you don't bugger them.

This pistol melts into my hands.

I have the same grips, trigger, sights, frame safety, etc. on my practice pistols as well. The Springfield was still waiting for black Alumagrips to be delivered when I took the photo. The Colt is 9mm -- the ammo is much cheaper!

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Chuck, I would like to see pics of one hand and two handed hold with your style of TS.

And for the original poster, you will notice that Chuck has the same control surfaces on all his pistols. That is a sign of a serious shooter.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Here's one handed. The frame safety if off. Sorry, this is not my Kobra Carry, but all my pistols are setup the same way. Thin Alumagrips, Gunsite low thumb safety, Ed Brown magazine catch, short trigger, etc.

Standard two-hand grip fills the open area with the heel of my left hand. Thumbs parallel to the bore pointing forward. No thumb pressure other than a light pressure to ensure the frame safety remains down.

Two hand grip photo will have to wait until I get a camera with a self timer.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
So does your left thumb ride higher than your left or is it down on the frame?

Regards,
Greyson

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Left thumb is below the right, indexing on the frame right about at the front of the slide stop. That way it's not waving around. No frame pressure.

-- Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts