1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a used Kobra Carry Bobtail at a local gun shop. Price is decent. Little gun is slick. Slide to frame fit is good. How tight should the barrel lock up in back. I expected a hard fitted barrel. This fit is no more than a good drop in. Do I need to pull the slide and see if it has chewed the lugs off or is this typical of this model?

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Absolutely pull the slide. My Kobra Carry and Kobra 5" came exactly that way..."right, not tight". If there is damage, don't buy it. Brown makes his guns for the real world. Years ago when shopping for a new Colt, if I couldn't get a little rattle from shaking the gun, I didn't want it. Too tight is problems! Check the posts on unsatisfied Baer buyers because the barrel/bushing/lugs are too tight!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid that it was simply built that way. This is not what I expect in a pistol that retailed for $2200 new.... This barrel is not even camming up on the barrel lugs... I will pull the slide tomorrow and see what it looks like inside...

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
George...for that price, detail strip the gun. It'll become obvious if there is a problem. If the dealer won't let you do that, move on! If indeed the barrel lugs aren't matching up, no deal! Call Brown and ask what he recommends...will his warranty follow the pistol? I love mine, but don't buy something that some jerk has abused.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guns shows no wear on the barrel or hood or external signs that it may have been abused. There is no obvious reason for it to be so loose. I am sure he will let me take it apart... I will be back with details tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Good luck, don't let a good pistol get past you, unless there are defects!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Contacted Ed brown. Below is an excerp of what Ed told me. All very logical and easy to verify...

"...What you are actually feeling in the Kobra Carry is the barrel start to
unlock. With different guns sometimes you can feel this to a greater or
lesser degree, sometimes not at all, depending on the tolerance stack up
between the barrel, frame, and slide. The barrel hood is often actually
pushing the slide back a few thousandths or so and allowing and the barrel
lug to move down it's radius off the slide stop. Our barrels are hand fit to
lock up snugly and consistently, yet still unlock very early and easily...."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congrats!

·