1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what's the difference between 1911 COLT magazines and 1914 KONGSBERG ones.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
  • All Norwegian magazines had lanyard loops.
  • All had pinned bases.
  • Most show very coarse, side-to-side grinding marks on the base plates.
  • The early two tone magazines were blued below the mag catch slot, producing a sharp bluing line instead of an uneven heat treating line like their U.S. made counterparts.
  • The second type were nickel plated. The plating is typically very dull, often resembling galvanizing.
  • The last version, adopted in 1945, were phosphate finished.
  • All are well made and interchangeable with Colt magazines.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Thanks guys, your kind words are much appreciated.

This one was manufactured in 1921 and although the "Kongsberg Colts" were blued into early 1921, I believe this one to be a refinish. My guess is a very old, well done refinish, but refinished nonetheless.

It was wearing full checkered walnut grips with the left grip modified when I got it. A member in Norway contacted me after I posted pics here and we made a trade. I got a set of original grips straight from Norway! However, they didn't go as well with the pistol as the amazing repro set I got from Richard at vintage1911s. They're the set shown in the photos above. Except for condition, one would be hard pressed to tell them from my Norwegian stocks.

For all it's foibles, this pistol is among my favorites. There's just something about it that pleases my eye.

Every part of the pistol that's not a screw, pin, or spring, is serialized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.