1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I wonder if someone could advise me regarding a two piece guide rod on my Kobra Carry.

I recently installed the above (an Ed Brown part) and everytime I go to the range, firing appx. 100 rounds each time. I find that the rod is coming loose.

When I go to break down the gun, and applying the allen wrench there is zero resistance and it has alreday started to thread out. However, when I put the gun back together, I feel pretty certain that I am tightening with enough torque.

I don't mind the above, but can I do any damage to the gun when it is "working itself loose"? If yes, should I switch back to what it came with in the first place?

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Larry:
It won't cause any damage if it works its way loose (keep in mind that it has to turn more than 8 complete revolutions before it separates). As for a fix, some use a little loc tite, some slightly ding the last thread a little so it is a little sticky on the last turn. Or you could go to a one piece guide rod. Wilson Combat part #25C works pretty well on the Commander length slide.

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
There's a reason it came the way it did! ;)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Some have suggested a little teflon plumber's tape on the threads will help them from getting loose while shooting. Also, clear fingernail polish works great and is less expensive and not quite as difficult to unscrew as loc-tite.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i had one (different brand) that kept coming loose. i put blue loctite on it, and it still came loose within a hundred rounds. i replaced it with a new unit and tightened it (without any loctite) and it has stayed tight ever since.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Personally, I like the idea of swapping out two-piece guide rods for GI-style spring guide and plugs on 5" 1911s. Easier to field-strip if nothing else. :)

Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GrandmasterB said:
Some have suggested a little teflon plumber's tape on the threads will help them from getting loose while shooting. Also, clear fingernail polish works great and is less expensive and not quite as difficult to unscrew as loc-tite.
GB:

I took your advise and tried the teflon tape. Anyway, I took the Kobra to the range last night and 140 rounds later and the tape worked great.

Thanks again to all for the advise. Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts