1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The latest Guns&Ammo mentions that Korth is alive and well. Seems I read there and elsewhere that Korth makes guns without regard to price; the only rule is quality. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've read it twice, and it sort of says, "Yes, they are good guns...if you can afford them."

They make a strange bird: a 10mm revolver. I kinda wish I had one, if for no other reason than the fact that I would be the only kid on my block with such a weapon.

Later: I found a picture of the Korth revolver. Looks a lot like a Python to me.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

[This message has been edited by jpwright (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
A bit off topic: 10mm revolvers are easy to get. The Smith & Wesson model 610 is in 10mm/.40 S&W and they still make it in a 4" version. I have a 6.5" Classic model and it is great.

The Korth firearms are supposed to be neato but are strictly a "money is no object" proposition.

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Registered
538 Posts
I handled one many years ago--that a local writer was doing a report about. Nice--but no where near worth the asking price. GLV

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JRJ:
Python, which Beretta model are you refering to?
I was thinking it looked like a 92 series a bit. Actually, with its safety, it looks like the Taurus PT-92/99 copy of the Beretta. Korth appears to be a copycat, and not a leader.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have to disagree. I don't think that the Korth semi-auto looks like a beretta at all. And internally speaking, they are apples and oranges. The Korth has very unique internal workings that I haven't seen on any other "modern" pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
python1340 said:
I was thinking it looked like a 92 series a bit. Actually, with its safety, it looks like the Taurus PT-92/99 copy of the Beretta. Korth appears to be a copycat, and not a leader.
I have seen a private collection that had two .357 revolvers and two 9mm autos. These guns are defineately not copycats of anythhing other than the basics that every pistol and revolver copy. One revolver and one pistol were shooters, though I was not able to shoot them, I did get to see them stripped down. Even the most minute spring has been hand polished. These are unbelieveably nice guns and I was told 100% reliable. Unfortuneately, they are priced too extreme for all but the most serious collector with money to burn.

ranburr

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think their semi's are goofy looking, the trigger guard is just.. odd. Nice guns, but I wouldn't buy one, and I doubt I could ever afford to do so anyway. :D

Taken from their website, regarding quality, to put the point acrossed..

"All Korth arms feature specially selected high-alloy steels. For example, all important revolver components such as the frame, crane and even the sideplate are completely milled from drop forgings. After machining operations, all components are subjected to a proprietary process to achieve a surface hardness of up to 60 HRc (Rockwell c scale). The result is a handgun with an incredibly long life expectancy with a continually high standard of accuracy. Approximately 600 individual operations are required to manufacture one revolver. Of these operations, only about 30% are actual machine work. The rest, all of 70%, are true "man-hours": Hand work, fitting, inspection and making sure that every aspect of the gun is flawless. Every moving part is assembled, fitted and adjusted by skilled craftsmen, some who have devoted nearly all their working lives to producing the best handguns in the world."

Worth 6k? To some. But there was also a $20k+ rifle I saw a while back. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
M1911 said:
Where's the cylinder release? Is it that doohickey (technical term
) under the hammer?

M1911
Yes, that opens the cylinder. I've shot one .357 in Germany. The trigger reminded me of an old S&W. The (hot) reloads stuck in the cylinder so bad that they had to hammer on the ejector rod to get them out, but the gun kept going. I was impressed at fit and finish. The only problem was I couldn't afford one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Locked In 1911 said:
I think their semi's are goofy looking, the trigger guard is just.. odd. Nice guns, but I wouldn't buy one, and I doubt I could ever afford to do so anyway. :D

Yes, that rounded trigger guard is old fashioned but lets me know at a glance that it's a Korth. Although you can get them to put the square "combat" trigger guard on for an extra $300. OUCH! And spare magazines $150 ea. $$$$ :hrm:

·
Registered
964 Posts
papa171 said:
Although you can get them to put the square "combat" trigger guard on for an extra $300. OUCH! And spare magazines $150 ea. $$$$ :hrm:
Talk about putting the hurt on. I'd rather take $450 and buy a SA GI and new grips. :D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Korth revolvers are THE choice in the Oil countrys, where the shieks have tons of $$$$, over here in the USA, they are almost unknown. I would love the .357 wheel gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts