1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who just can't get used to an IWB holster, this OWB belt scabbard is set up just right! Holds Kimber Compact in close and at a nice angle. Has a sweat shield like an IWB holster and holds the safety in place. Sits at about 3:30 not too high and not too low. Does take up one belt notch to accomodate the way the belt threads thru the slots but with 7 holes on my Rafter S belt, I have a few to spare. Looks like I've finally found what I've been looking for. 3 week delivery time...

H

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
That's one of my favorites, they're indestructable!

·
Registered
438 Posts
bigboyhf said:
For those who just can't get used to an IWB holster, this OWB belt scabbard is set up just right! Holds Kimber Compact in close and at a nice angle. Has a sweat shield like an IWB holster and holds the safety in place. Sits at about 3:30 not too high and not too low. Does take up one belt notch to accomodate the way the belt threads thru the slots but with 7 holes on my Rafter S belt, I have a few to spare. Looks like I've finally found what I've been looking for. 3 week delivery time...

H
Does the holster retain its shape when you draw your pistol?
Is it easy to re-holster your pistol?

I considered buying that one but I bought Kramer Vertical
Scabbard and Tucker HF-1 instead.

I'm a little wary of pancake holsters. :hrm:

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The holster is very firm. Easy to draw and easy to re-holster. This is my first horsehide product and it is somewhat firmer than the cowhide holsters I currently own. After wearing my Kimber in a vertical position (DOJ), I find that the pistol is easier to draw with the forward cant. It also sits lower on the belt without lowering the bottom of the holster which aids in concealability especially with an OWB model. I find that the positional similarity to the Alessi belt scabbard for my Kahr makes it better for a consistent draw with either gun. The only major difference is the sweat shield on the Kramer which I am not sure is available on the Alessi (I like the safety retention moulded in for a 1911 which is absent in the DOJ that I have). If it is, I am not aware of it but would probably have ordered it given my complete satisfaction with the belt scabbard for my Kahr from Alessi.

I have been a BAD boy... :eek: I occasionally remove my Kahr from the holster and leave the holster on. I know that it isn't adviseable, but have seen no problems with the holster losing its shape (yet). The one and only drawback to the belt scabbard is that you have to open your belt and slide the holster off rather than just unsnapping it. But I can live with that for the comfort and biomechanical advantages of the holster.

H

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
Wary of Pancakes

"I'm a little wary of pancake holsters."

Boy, do I have a solution for that. Tucker makes pancake/belt slide holsters even better by an optional 1/2 lining.

He lines only the outer piece of leather for rigidity and resistence to collapse and it works great. Does not add bulk. Puts smooth leather toward the gun.
Since he positions the body side piece of leather with smooth toward the gun and rough toward the body anyway, you get a pancake with all smooth cowhide to baby your gun plus a whole new experience of a pancake holster. It's one of my favorite holsters. You can tell it's lined by the stitch line at the top and bottom. Note the double stitching at the belt slots for extra strength.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Wary of Pancakes

tonerguy said:
"I'm a little wary of pancake holsters."

Boy, do I have a solution for that. Tucker makes pancake/belt slide holsters even better by an optional 1/2 lining.

Hi Tonerguy,

You're good ... you're very good ... you (Viti in "Analyze this!")

So, this pancake holster is hard molded so that it does not
collapse when pistol is removed?

thanks

Jae

1 - 7 of 7 Posts