1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of people out there in computerland, I just can't seem to make it to a shooting school. You folks know the long list of reasons why.

Anyhow, I decided to take a chance and ordered the first tape in Grover's Crucible series and I'm glad I did. My only other experience with these kinds of tapes was watching that Wilson Combat thing with Hackathorn.

I don't want to say anything bad about the WC vid, but I'm glad I didn't let it kill the idea of more videos in my future. If nothing else, it showed me that even the big names make mistakes.

The Crucible tape, on the other hand, kept my attention from the very getgo. A relative newbie to the realm of combat pistolcraft, I thought I knew something from all the hundreds of magazines I had purchased. I was wrong. It also showed me that IDPA/IPSC shooting and winning matches is NOT combat shooting and surviving on the street. The games might help you keep skills sharp, but it ain't the real deal.

Gotta give props to these Crucible fellas for turning out a top-notch product filled with sound practices. If you get the hankering for a video that's going to help, get Jim's stuff. You won't be sorry.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
How about posting a link?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damon, you got it right. I ordered mine from Paladin, but wouldn't mind finding a cheaper source. At $50 per, the entire set is a bit expensive. Gotta wonder if taking the class at their facility would be cheaper, but then I wouldn't have anything to watch over and over and over again.

Is it worth the money? Heck, just learning how he does his reloads and the 'tap-rack-bang' was worth the money! Talk about fast....and it's a whole lot more reliable than what I was taught.

He might be "irreverent" but I enjoyed that as much as the shooting skills. Funny guy and he definitely knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was a student at Crucible when that tape was made. (Being in those videos is my sole claim to fame. I'm easy to pick out...I'm the guy that is always screwing up.)

Kelly is the consummate gentleman and just exudes confidence. That course represents the best $1500 I have ever spent.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I borrowed a friends copies a long time ago. McCann is a great teacher. His training costs have really gone up since 9/11 and out of my league. The videos are extremely well done. When they get around to transfering them to DVD I'd consider buying them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're not kiddin', Mayo. $1500 for what? I'd better get lunch and dinner, if not housing.

I'll buy the rest of the videos just because that's the only training option open to me at this point. At least I can take satisfaction in knowing that my money will be well-spent....and that guy is really fun to watch.:D

Do you think that class would be tax-deductible seeing as how I work as an armed professional but my company doesn't provide any type of training?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Vaughn,

Crucible provided a GREAT lunch every day, but housing and dinner were on the students.

Great facility, great instructors, very good time. (Even including my cracked ribs.)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Crucible Series or Defensive Shooting Series?

I looked at Paladin Press' website and found two separate series by Grover/McCann. If one were to purchase only one series, which would be more useful and informative? Does the Crucible series cover everything in the Defense Shooting series and more, or are they two totally different products?

·
Registered
172 Posts
ThomasMagnum,

I've only seen the Crucible Series, so I can't speak for Mr. McCann's other video.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr. Magnum, I can't speak on the defensive shooting series as I have yet to buy it, but I can tell you that McCann specifically states in the intro to the Crucible series Vol. 1 that this material is completely different from what has been previously published. "We're not here to steal anyone's money."

How different it is, I can't say. It might just be that the defensive shooting tapes are from the 80's or the like, and the crucible series is from the last few years. New ideas/techniques might have come along or maybe there's a change in teaching style. Overall, the Crucible tape has been very nice to watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts