1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Us there a difference between the two? The description that I read of the manuals in Brownells makes it sound like volume II is nothing more than an updated and expanded version of volume I. Does volume I cover material that isn't covered in II?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, Volume 1 has material not covered in Volume 2.
Volume 1 covers the basics first, disassembly and re-assembly and critical parts to check. It also covers some common upgrades, like trigger jobs, frame rail work, polishing the feed ramp, sights, beavertail safeties etc.
Volume 2 is a much more technical look at the 1911A1, with spec drawings of each part with all dimensions and tolerances listed.
Get them both. Go to Midway and read their descriptions and product reviews, they will give you a better idea of what the manuals contain.
The reviews are great, they're why I prefer Midway.
Book 1:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=199119
Book 2:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=193148

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
In my estimatin there is a marked difference in the two vol. if your looking for true hands-on suff rathr than minute "Ordnance Spec's.", etc.

If you have the $, yes, get both but for my needs I wanted a "how To" manual like Ed Brown's Bench Reference.

You can also call Brownell's Tech Line and get a generally good, concise answer, too.........i

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
magilla gorilla said:
Us there a difference between the two? The description that I read of the manuals in Brownells makes it sound like volume II is nothing more than an updated and expanded version of volume I. Does volume I cover material that isn't covered in II?
if you dont have either i would recamend the #1.. it has more of the "stuff i would want to do and try at home" in it than the second..
both are a must read

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.