1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just had a strange experience with KY imports. Prompted by their ad in the Shotgun News, I decided that I was going to order one of the Argentine Sistema .45 pistols (the ones with the airforce markings) using my C&R. When I called them to place an order and announced that I was a Massachusetts resident, I was told that there was "bad news", and that they are prohibited by federal law from selling this gun to a Mass resident. KY was nonplussed by my polite assertions that there is no such federal law, nor even a state law, which should prevent me from purchasing said firearm, and that I have purchased C&R handguns from other sources in the last 6 months without problem. Anyway, I was told to call back on Monday to speak with a supervisor, but was cautioned not to "get my hopes up".
What's the deal? I know Mass laws are confusing, but unless I'm totally half-cocked here, there is absolutely no law which would prevent the sale of this firearm to a Mass C&R holder.
Any hints, tips, suggestions? (other than moving)
I'd like to get a Sistema straight from JLD again, but they won't have any for another six weeks.
Help!
Thanks,
vanfunk

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

·
Administrator
10,856 Posts
Just off the top of my head, I seriously doubt that Federal law singles out Massachusetts residents for discrimination. I believe they leave that to the Massachusetts state government... which does a fine job, if what I hear is true.

TB., NC

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Tim, you're quite right about MA legislation. Fortunately for me, I live in a "gun friendly" locale. In a town of 20,000, there are 5000 carry permits! Anyway, under the present circumstances with KY Imports, I am feeling "discriminated" against- as there are no laws to prevent me from acquiring a C&R pistol. How persistent should I be in pressing this issue?
Thanks,
vanfunk

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by vanfunk:
Anyway, I was told to call back on Monday to speak with a supervisor, but was cautioned not to "get my hopes up".
Any hints, tips, suggestions? (other than moving)

Vanfunk, call back on Monday and politely ask to speak to the supervisor or the owner. I work in and around the area where KY Imports shop is located and good help is definitely hard to find. Some guys don't know their breech from their elbow! KY carries a lot of stuff that I know is prohibited in states like CA and maybe MA(not sure about your state's laws). The clerk may have mistaken the bosses instructions to mean "all guns" and not just the prohibited ones. Give 'em a chance and have the manager explain his reasons if he won't budge.

Let me know how you come out. They have some hi-caps for my Walther and I would like to know how they treat you before I try to buy.

On a side note what is he getting for Sistemas. I recently achieved addict status on the board and am anxious to get my first 1911.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
KY imports customer service is so bad. Their Reps are not just ignorant, they are rude.

I will have nothing further to do with them. Of course, I am sure that is keeping them up nights.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by BillD:
KY imports customer service is so bad. Their Reps are not just ignorant, they are rude.

I will have nothing further to do with them. Of course, I am sure that is keeping them up nights.

Thanks for the input Bill. I had noticed that they have been conspicuous by their absence at all the Louisville gun shows and the Knob Creek Machine gun shoots. I have been by their building and if you didn't know it was there you would never see it. No signs or anything. Keeping a low profile in your home market always makes me ask questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have purchased from them before but won't in the future. Their prices are hard to beat but their service has plenty of room for improvement. They only handle walk in customers after 1pm. Their mail brochure didn't say anything about it. I showed up at 12:45 one day and had to stand outside for 15 minutes before they would let me in. They said it was because they needed to take care of the mail order side of the business. Their "Showroom" is a tiny room with their latest catalog taped to the wall and one desk in the middle. They bring the guns out one at a time for your inspection.

I'd really like to do business with them as they are 10 minutes from my house but no thanks, I'll drive another 10 minutes and pay a little more at Oakwood, a true old style gun shop where guys sit around and talk, free coffee, and good old fashion service.

Mark

------------------
We are the people our parents warned us about.

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi mark! i live in somerset ky, oakwood gunshop sounds like a nice place. i sure wish there was one down here. only got a few grumpy pawnshops owners very small selection, and absolutly nothing i look for. have a great day

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the problem is KY law while at knob creek we talked to one og the guys in the store and they said they could only sell us a long gun (rifle or shotgun), becouse we were from TN. so I am assuming it might be a KY state law.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by Mark Lee:
I have purchased from them before but won't in the future. Their prices are hard to beat but their service has plenty of room for improvement.
I'd really like to do business with them as they are 10 minutes from my house but no thanks, I'll drive another 10 minutes and pay a little more at Oakwood, a true old style gun shop where guys sit around and talk, free coffee, and good old fashion service.

Mark
Thanks for the first hand input Mark. I just crossed them off my list. The only thing they had I wanted was hi caps for my Walther and I have since found them cheaper elsewhere.

I totally agree about Oakwood, I bought some mags for my Browning there a few years ago. Good guys to deal with, they do make you feel right at home.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by maddog355:
I think the problem is KY law while at knob creek we talked to one og the guys in the store and they said they could only sell us a long gun (rifle or shotgun), becouse we were from TN. so I am assuming it might be a KY state law.
It's actually the federal law Maddog. Handguns require FFL but not long guns. I buy guns from other KY dealers and they send them to dealer in Indiana, then I just go in fill out the yellow form and go. I was at Knob Creek too. What a blast(pardon the pun)! Did you get a chance to try the simulator they had set up at the entrance?

·
Registered
271 Posts
How can someone be a 1911 addict and have yet to purchase a 1911?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like KY Inbreds hasn't gotten any manners since I last dealt with them over the phone. They just plain didn't want my business, and by golly, I accomodated them.

BTW, no offense to Kentuckians, my state borders yours!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by Gonzo308:
How can someone be a 1911 addict and have yet to purchase a 1911?
To whom is this directed Gonzo?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't understand that remark either; I have a number of 1911's. Anyway, I've given up on KY Imports - I think I'm going to buy an AR-15 instead. I know it's blasphemy, but what the "hey". I think I oughta, since here in MA (home of the "shot heard 'round the world") they could outlaw them at any moment. Thanks for your input!
vanfunk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.