1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a straight drop Blade-Tech belt holster for my full sized 1911 and it's just not all that comfortable or conceable on me. I'm 5'11" and aprox 215-220.

The holster will be worn under a light to heavy coat for the most part, but will also be worn openly when out camping & 4 wheeling in the summer.

What about straight drop vs canted drop?

What other Kydex belt holsters should I be looking at and what are the por's and con's of them.

[This message has been edited by Joey (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
For professional fit and finish, you can't do better than Comp-Tac. The Ghurka is probably the finest IWB strongside holster you can get, at any price. Ky-Tac is fine, and functional, but more expensive and slower to ship. Additionally, Comp-Tac uses a somewhat stronger design. If you want something completely concealable, try a Shirt-Tucker. Gregg takes the extra time and trouble to actually mold a sight rail into the holster, rather than just leaving the top rounded. I think it looks more detailed, similar to a hand boned leather rig. Both Ghurka and Shirt-Tucker are available in any size 1911 you can find, barring the wierd polymer stuff from STI (trigger bow issues). www.comp-tac.com

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 10-22-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Joey,

We are stocking dealers for Ky-Tac gear, would like to address specific points brought up about Ky-Tac. Regarding shipping, anything on our website that is not specifically designated as "out of stock" typically ships out by the next business day. We've had customers order Bravehearts and receive them within 2 days. Anytime we suspend shipping due to training or business travel, we announce it on our website (as we have for our upcoming trade shows).

We have heard folks post good things about the Comp-Tac Gurkha, which furthers praise for the original Braveheart design. From what we have seen, Comp-Tac products seem to be high-quality. However, if anyone from Comp-Tac can comment, we are curious as to how the Gurkha holster is listed as "Pat.Pend".

Regarding the comment on the site channel, Ky-Tac gear is molded with a very generous rounded channel for the sights, rather than a sight channel that is further constricted to create an aesthetic effect. Dave understands the importance of clearing the holster without any impeding of the sights, no matter how the draw is accomplished or the what the size of the front sight is. A lot of our carry guns are outfitted with Ashley Big Dots, and they never had any clearance issues with Ky-Tac gear from the beginning. Furthermore, by having a constricted sight channel, you funnel the dust and lint that comes naturally with concealed carry directly onto the front sight. All Ky-Tac holsters leave generous amounts of room on the sides and above the front sight to help minimize that effect between cleanings. This is not to say that any specific holster does not have generous room, but the function of the sight channel (or any other feature for that matter), takes precedence over form all the time in matters of lethal force.

If anyone has any questions regarding Ky-Tac gear, please don't hesitate to drop us an email. Ky-Tac is one of our top product lines and has a very loyal following which we are proud to provide service and support for.

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts