1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hybrid holster for my Wilson compact .45 and I am wondering: Should the pistol move in the holster while being worn ? It moves about a half inch ( its like the gun is on a swivel) forward and backward. I have no experience with kydex, but this doesn't seem right to me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That much movement would concern me, yes.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You should have some retention screws around the kydex shell...tighten them down.
With the holster secured on your body and your pistol inside you shouldn't have any movement at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no retention screws on the holster and when worn it still moves. I sent the holster back and we will see what they do about it.

·
Super Moderator
13,487 Posts
Picture?

There are lots of "holster makers" that make those hybrid half plastic and half thin leather. Just because they have a scissors and screw drivers doesn't make them competent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to name the holster brand, I want to give them a chance to fix it.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Of course it's really not a kydex holster, it's a hybrid. Part kydex, part leather. Have you identified the kydex part as the part that is to blame, or is it the leather part?

I don't know what holster you have, and I'm not trying to get you to identify it, but I have seen a complaint or two about Tucker's Answer having that issue over the years, but for the most part, Tucker Answer owners seem to be a very happy lot. Tucker also has one of the best customer service reputations around.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Jeff51
If you do not have retention screws, your holster may get to loose over time, especially if it fits "just right" the first time you wear it. Both my hybrids needed to be adjusted once they broke in. The leather backing will stretch within a few days of wearing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The OP mentioned the movement as "forward and backward". Theoretically, if the kydex was properly formed, this shouldn't happen, even if the leather had broken in some. The retention screws should only tighten down for retention or lateral movement. If he had a true see-saw movement fore and aft, that's a problem with the initial mold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent it back to them and I don't what they did to fix it, but the holster is on it's back to me. I'll try to let you know what happens. Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts