1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Many kydex holsters use screws that screw into a threaded, round attachment device that has one slot in the middle. The attachment device with the slot is typically on the inside of the holster and the screw is on the outside. There is no way to tighten the screw without holding the attachment device secure, and I've yet to find a way to successfully hold that slotted "nut" (for lack of a better term - it's not a nut per se, but a smooth surface with a slot in the middle) secure while tightening the screw.

A friend suggested using a dime held by a vice grip, and I've had limited and awkward success with that. I cannot get a screwdriver down the inside of the holster to successfully secure the "slotted nut" as I tighten the screw on the outside.

Is a tool made to secure the inside "slotted nut" while tightening the screw on the outside?

If so, where can I obtain this tool?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Are you saying you can't tighten your holster because the female end rotates as you turn the tightening screw?

I have a handful of kydex holsters with those screws, and while some would rotate, they would stop with just light finger pressure on the female side.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
So many enuendos here......... And to think I was actually banned from the other 1911 forum on my very first post just for using the word "screw" as a verb - as in "easy to screw it up". Seriously.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
As above, usually light finger pressure on the smooth side will allow tightening the screw head.
Chicago Key Posts tend to jam in slightly when they bottom out and this locks them in place.

One trick if they just won't stay tight is to put a star-lock lock washer on the female side.
This will grip the plastic and the screw and allow tightening the slotted side.
This is not recommended for a leather holster.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thanks to those who understood my pigeon engrish at what I was trying to describe!

Chicago Key Posts....Haven't ever heard that term. Thanks for the correct terminology.

Finger pressure alone never did the trick, regardless of which holster I was trying to tighten. I will try the star washer thing, but there has to be a tool designed to tighten these things. Anyone know of this tool and where I can obtain one?

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a couple of CompTacs that gave me fits; I've switched to Raven Concealment and the Phantoms don't use the Chicago Screws on the inside of the gun pouch.

A friend made a kydex for my STI and it has the female end of the Chicago Screws (and again, I thank everyone for the correct terminology) on the inside of the gun pouch. Not easy to get to, and I don't know if this tool would be too wide to fit into the gun pouch. Otherwise, the tool looks pretty cool and for sixteen bucks I may just order one and try it anyway.

My friend recommended trying putting a dime in a vice-grip and while exceptionally awkward for me, it did tighten up the screw. That's why I was asking about whatever tool is used by the pros to tighten these things up.

If anyone knows what holster makers use in this application, I'd sure appreciate sharing the knowledge. I may call CompTac tomorrow and ask them how they do this.

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
One trick to tighten a Chicago Screw Post is to tighten it almost tight, put finger pressure on the other side, then finish tightening the slotted side by giving the screwdriver a fast "snap" to fully tighten.
This will usually work to allow getting a snugger fit.

As far as I know there is no special tool to tighten Chicago Screws.
One thing you can do is use a small pair of Vise-Grips to lock the very tip of the Vise-Grip jaws onto the edge of the Chicago Screw Post.

This requires a good condition non-sprung or worn Vise-Grip and you have to take care not to damage or scar up the edge of the Screw.
Being brass, the Screw will be damaged easily if you slip or clamp too tight.
If you're careful and the Vise-Grip doesn't slip off you can get the screw as tight as you want.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
As far as I know there is no special tool to tighten Chicago Screws..
Actually there is. See post # 7 above and follow the link. I have several of these in the shop and we use them often to loosen chicago screws on belts that could not be removed by finger pressure alone.

Obviously, if the tool can be used to loosen, it can be used to tighten as well. The rubber pad on the clamp keeps the female post from turning as you loosen or tighten the screw. It might not work for the OP's purpose, but is a handy tool to have around if you work with Chicago screws.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have a couple of CompTacs that gave me fits; I've switched to Raven Concealment and the Phantoms don't use the Chicago Screws on the inside of the gun pouch.

A friend made a kydex for my STI and it has the female end of the Chicago Screws (and again, I thank everyone for the correct terminology) on the inside of the gun pouch. Not easy to get to, and I don't know if this tool would be too wide to fit into the gun pouch. Otherwise, the tool looks pretty cool and for sixteen bucks I may just order one and try it anyway.

My friend recommended trying putting a dime in a vice-grip and while exceptionally awkward for me, it did tighten up the screw. That's why I was asking about whatever tool is used by the pros to tighten these things up.

If anyone knows what holster makers use in this application, I'd sure appreciate sharing the knowledge. I may call CompTac tomorrow and ask them how they do this.

Thanks again.

Mike
Another option would be to just make your own tool. If you have a grinder, or access to one, take an appropriate sized Allen wrench and cut off the bent end so that it will fit into the space you need to access. Then grind a screw driver flat onto that end so that it will fit the slot of the female post. If you find you need a third hand to hold the holster in place while you tighten the screw, light pressure with the holster held in a bench vise will usually suffice. Providing you have access to one.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Actually there is. See post # 7 above and follow the link. I have several of these in the shop and we use them often to loosen chicago screws on belts that could not be removed by finger pressure alone.

Obviously, if the tool can be used to loosen, it can be used to tighten as well. The rubber pad on the clamp keeps the female post from turning as you loosen or tighten the screw. It might not work for the OP's purpose, but is a handy tool to have around if you work with Chicago screws.
Missed that.
Would work very nicely as long as the post is not too far from the edge.
A little too expensive for a one or two time use however. More for a professional.

·
Registered
804 Posts
All mine have ribbed backs and they grab the plastic when pressure is applied to them. Never a need for a tool.

If smooth, get an offset screw driver at local hardware or automotive store.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And Mr Lhawkins hit this one out of the park.

I called Comp-Tac today. Very helpful folks who fully understood where I was having a problem. They recommended the offset screwdriver. The lady there told me that she purchased an expensive set at Home Depot, but she thought Lowe's and Sears also carried them. Had to go to Sears today anyway and bought a set for under nine bucks and that should do the trick.

Wanted to pass on what I learned, and I sincerely thank all those who took the time to reply and help.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts