1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of Dave's excellent Braveheart Ky-Tac holsters (thanks to Joe at SKD) and practice drawing from it regularly. I do about 100 draws a night and notice after each session that a bit of the inside of the holster is stuck to my 1911. I have these plastic shaving bits all around the muzzle end. I'm a little worried that after having waited months to get this holster that it's going to wear out on me - something I never thought would happen with a Kydex rig. Anyone else experience this?

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
A good dehorning job on one's pistol makes life easier for holsters of all types. Not to worry though, the type of wear you're describing is essentially self-limiting. Soon, you'll have worn off the "high" spots and it'll taper off to nothing.

Rosco

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rosco,
I certainly hope you are right. I have just over 1000 draws from my KyTac and it's still losing plastic!

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
Pointman,
Have you untighten the retention screw(s)? The holster maybe gripping the gun too tightly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had the same problem with Blade-Tech
IWB for my Kahr pistol. Even after hundreds
of draws hoping to break it in, it still
left shavings on my pistol. I sent it back
to Blade Tech to correct the problem. They
sent it back and I still found the same
plastic shavings on my gun. Even loosening the tension screws didn't make a difference. It must be something about kydex and "sharp"
corners of a gun. I use a Desantis Nite Watch
kydex holster for my Glock with no shavings
at all... but the Glock is square and fairly
dehorned already unlike the Kahr's slide.
So maybe dehorning maybe an option. I've never had this problem with any leather rigs for my Kahr. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ricky T, my retention screws are a bit tight but I like it that way in case I have to deal with someone via other means (ie: H2H). Actually, although I've never tried to spar with anyone with the holster on (mental note: must do this in the future soon), I'm a little scared that if I have to kick a** the gun will fall out. I guess I'll just have to deal with the shavings and buy a new holster when this one wears out.

BTW, my weapons is a CQB compact. Aren't these supposed to be dehorned to begin with?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Pointman,

Sorry for catching this post late, we've been on and off the past few weeks. I would echo Ricky T's comment and look at the retension screws first. If you're using your Braveheart for your CQB and nothing else, find the retention that you're comfortable with and then locktite the screws. As for finding your preferred retention, wear your holster like you carry it (pressure from your waistline adds to the retention) and with an UNLOADED gun, safely go through some of the motions you may encounter when grappling. I think you'll get a sense for what you and your holster are capable of.

I think that setting the screws should prevent the problem from getting worse. Secondly, as Dave recommends on his Ky-Tac sheet that comes with every holster, keep the holster clean and use Formula 2001 (armor-all type product) to keep things slick inside.

Finally, look at your draw stroke. You sound like a hard core shooter with the amount of practice you do- does your CQB clear the holster in a straight rake before rotating forward or is the rotation starting before it is clear of the holster? Starting your rotation early would lead to shavings on the end of the muzzle. Everyone does things their own way, so that is something for you to look at on your own.

Please let us know if the situation improves at all. We doubt you'll wear out your holster, but there's always a first time for everything

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts