1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a KZ-45 for a few months, purchased in like new condition...WCP prefix serial number, producted in September 2002 per the test target.

I've got approximately 450 rounds through the pistol, absolutely no malfunctions.

My current schedule prevents me from doing much actual shooting, but I try to dry fire the pistol whenever I get a chance (like watching a movie).

Nothing excessive, of course.

When I pulled the pistol out to get a little handling in, I noticed immediately that the trigger pull was stiffer than normal...it would take quite a bit of effort to pull the trigger. When a magazine was not in the pistol, it seems to get a little better, but still not up to it's usual excellent/crisp pull.

It almost seems like the grip safety is not engaging correctly.

I stripped the pistol down, and lubed the trigger and hammer areas lightly, thinking that it was a lube issue, but that made no difference.

I discussed it with a friend of mine, and we came to the conclusion that it could be the way the grip safety is working with the trigger, and we'll do a detail strip of the frame to see what we can find...

I suspect it's something simple, but the main question is this:

If we can ID the failed part, will Wilson want the pistol istelf back for reworking, or will they ship the new part, with me shipping the defective one back?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
stfram:
Recommend that you contact Wilson customer service at once if you suspect a problem involving your trigger! Call: 800-955-4856 and talk to one of their sales professionals. Utilize your warranty and don't try to tackle this one on your own.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More information...

My friend and I *partially* stripped the pistol, thinking that we had the problem located:

The mainspring housing cap pin, part number 27 in the wilson manual, was apparently never installed on the pistol.

(In fact, there was plastic flash inside of the pin channel, which seems to indicate that a pin was never installed.)

We installed a replacement pin from an Ed Brown rebuild kit into the mainspring housing, and reassembled the pistol...

And it works great... BUT the hammer, is "loose", for the lack of a better explanation. The gun "works" because we tried the pencil test, and the firing pin launched the pencil smarly out the barrel.

What occurs is this:
The hammer goes into half-cock fine, but between the point of full rest, and half-cock, it moves freely back and forth. Definately NOT normal, IMO.

All safety systemw work as designed.

My friend is of the impression that since the KZ frame is not standard, the pistol might work this way, with the hammer operating loosely as this is what the design specifies.

I disagree, as that would literally be a question that would get asked regularly in this forum, and I can't see Wilson designing a pistol so far off of what would be called standard.

Anyway, we're going to be driving that pin back out, so I can ship the pistol back (in original condition) to Wilson for inspection/repair under warranty.

Any thoughts? KZ-45 owners especially...can you confirm that there is a pin in that channel (I cannot remember if there was one ever, but I cannot see it falling out, as it is a very tight fit).

·
Registered
153 Posts
My KZ-45 Compact behaves the same way...... I also tried installing the mainspring cap retaining pin..... and experienced the same results. I took it back out and went on shooting the gun (abount 3000 rounds to date). I have not run into any problems; although, I can feel a distinct "thunk" in the area of the mainspring housing/grip safety when dry firing the weapon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The KZ45 does not come with a cap pin. The reason why I'm very confident about this is that I had two KZ's and when I noticed the same thing I called Wilson and asked. They told me that they do not put a cap pin on the KZ and they don't recommend it. Also if you haven't noticed yet you can not take the trigger out of a KZ without punching out the roll pins in the trigger. It's a hassle and I don't recommend it. If your still having issues with it, the best thing to do by far is call Wilson and talk to them about it. Their great!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The KZ45 does not come with a cap pin. The reason why I'm very confident about this is that I had two KZ's and when I noticed the same thing I called Wilson and asked. They told me that they do not put a cap pin on the KZ and they don't recommend it. Also if you haven't noticed yet you can not take the trigger out of a KZ without punching out the roll pins in the trigger. It's a hassle and I don't recommend it. If your still having issues with it, the best thing to do by far is call Wilson and talk to them about it. Their great!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's exactly the information I was looking for!

Thanks all.

It's odd that there is no supplementary paperwork that goes over the differences of the KZ-45 compared to a regular 1911, which would have helped out tremendously.

Heck, even a parts list would have been nice. My gun was sold as used, but came with all paperwork (even the 2 hang tags, other than the videos.

About the trigger; no way were we going to attempt to remove that, once we saw the pin placement. That told me that it wasn't to be removed. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts