1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a KZ 9 compact. I was wondering if anyone has one and could you tell me about reliability, accuracy, and general build quality. I have an SDS in .45 so I am somewhat familiar with Wilson. It's due end March. Seems the hold up is partially due to magazine availability.
Thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have a full size KZ9 and am quite pleased. The mags were a heck of a problem at first and took a complete redesign. I'm guessing that the same changes need to be made to the compact magazines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You just missed one they had on the shelf!

I called WC on WED. about the KZ9, I specifically wanted to know if there had been any problems with them, the magazines, type of ammo, etc, I was happy with what I heard from Greg G. and they had one sitting on the shelf in SS.

I grabbed it, the KZ arrived Thursday, feels and fits in my hand great.

I will be headed to the range on TUES for some testing prior to carry, and will post the range report on WED.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
KZ9 Compact

I got my KZ9 Compact in 12/07. I ordered it in 4/07. It was held up for mag availability. It was worth the wait! I have 840 rds through it. After the first 200 rds it is totally reliable and very accurate. I have only fired it in an indoor range so far. I'm anxious to get outdoors and do some IDPA practice with it. I have used Blazer Brass 115 gr, Remington UMC 115 gr., Golden Saber 124 gr., Win USA 115 gr., and reloads using Rainier 115 gr RN and Win 231 at 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and Winchester 115 gr RN and Win 231 at 4.2. All of the above are working fine.

I also own a KZ45 Compact with 3500 rds fired. This is my carry gun. Well one of them- I get fickle some times and carry others. I got the 9mm so I could get that cheap practice in with the "same gun" that I carry.

I have both a Comp-tac and a BladeTech shirt tucker (I haven't decided which I like best). I wear them crossdraw with the shirt tucked.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the replies.

merlewag.... are the holsters that fit just normal commander size or are the specially built for the KZ 9?

abnmedic.... congrats... I didn't miss out... I wanted and ordered a grey slide. That and the mag situation are the delay. Don't forget that range report!

Doug M again... I suspect you are correct... it is some redesign of the mags.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I own the full size KZ and have about 20,000 rounds >

thorugh it. The finish is pretty much long gone, the sights rust quickly from body moisture when you carry it so you to keep cleaning them and keep oil on them, but the thing shoots straight and goes bang everytime I press the trigger. I've not seen any cracks or signs of the frame weakening to date. So for the money it may be the best buy in the entire Wilson line up...

·
Registered
907 Posts
The dust cover area on the KZs is a bit bigger than a standard 1911, and tightly fitted hoslters for a standard 1911 or Commander may not work. I have some that do, and some that don't. Milt Sparks made up a VMII for me, which required sending them the pistol when my time in line came up. Some duty holsters for a CQB with rail work (I have a 6004 which does), but some don't (my ALS, uh, 6360, I think does not), which I believe is due to the slightly different shape and size of the trigger guard.

When I have time to go to the range, the KZ9 is fun to shoot - like eating popcorn.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi all, here is a very informal range report, no pics, main goal of range time: function check my new KZ 9, specifically checking for any failures to feed, failures to eject, magazine issues, any other issues that may arise .

Ammo:
200 rounds of winchester white box 115 grain FMJ. (range ammo)

20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P hollow points. (carry ammo)

Report:
FTF: 0
FT eject: 0
Premature slide lock, with rounds still in the magazine: 25+
Other malfunctions: 0

Pistol fed all 220 rounds fine, if the pistol fully cycled. As you can see form the above list the only problem was that the slide would lock to the rear with rounds still in the magazine.

Premature slide locks: 1 magazine always locked open with 1 round still loaded in it. The other slide locks occured at random, sometimes on the 3rd shot, sometimes with 3 left in the mag, other times whenever it felt like it, both mags were affected, both types of ammo had the same issues.

After some research I found that it was more than likely the ammo bumping the slide stop, a call to WC the next day confirmed that this could be the issue. They were polite, and requested that I send it back so they can confirm and remedy the problem. They set up return shipping back to them, and said I should have it back in less than a week. Obviously, I am a little concerned about the functioning issues, after all this thing should do the job everytime I ask it to.

I will post details and another range report once my KZ returns.

Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.

I know I am going in the opposite direction of most, but I am down to shooting and carrying only two guns. A Glock 19 or my Stealth. I want to get down to one. One gun that is for the nightstand, the target stand, and the waistband. I thought the KZ 9 compact had the best qualities of both combined. Time will tell but so far the comments are encouraging.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abnmedic,

I missed your post while I was typing. On an "other than that Mrs. Lincoln" how was the accuracy, and the overall feel of the gun?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Accuracy was fine if I did my part, meaning I hit where I was aiming!

Feel in the hand, pointability, sight picture were all great. Recoil was what I would expect compared to my G19, overall very happy minus the PSL.

And this one fits in my Milt Sparks VMII and Ex Companion just fine. Mags actually fit in my MS Glock mag holders really well, the KZ mags are a little longer than the G19 mags, so the top of the KZ mag sticks out a hair over the top of the mag holder, but will work everyday of the week.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
The holsters I use for the KZ9 or 45 are:
Comp-tac shirt tucker- for Kimber BP Ten II
Blade tec shirt tucker for Commander
Blackhawk CCC belt holster for Govt Model
Galco Jackass rig for 1911

Some require adjustment/modification with heat gun or dremel tool. But I commonly "customize" my holsters anyway. For some reason I had to loosen up the Bladetec and the Blackhawk for the KZ9 to work freely. Not so much though that the KZ45 wouldn't still work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Called Wilson 2-3 weeks ago to inquire about my KZ9 cpt that was soon due. They told me it would be another 10 weeks due to a lack of slides. I ordered a gray slide so I asked if there was any slide regardless of color. He said they had one slide, gray and with top of the slide serrated to stop glare. I said how much, they told me, I said give it to me. He told me he would put a rush on it and true to form I received the gun this week. Took it to the range directly from the dealer. Added some oil. First two mags had several FTF, both type ones, twos, and threes. Slide also failed to lock back. Third mag full (Blazer 115 gr brass) and she settled in and no more issues for the next 250 rds. Very accurate and easy to shoot. The only comfort issue is the strong side grip area needs to be filed or sanded to take some of the sharp edged off. It hits right at the base of my trigger finger. I think this zytel stuff will respond to filing or sanding like polymer... anyone out there tried this?
I like a 4+ lb trigger and they gave me a 4.25.... perfect. Crisp with a slight takeup. Great reset as well. The thumb safety has the type of tactile feel I like. All in all, a very nice pistol.
I will take her to the range next week and put 500-600 rds thru her and if she has no problems, then she will replace my G-19's for carry, target, nightstand and IDPA.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got back from the range this morning after putting another 450 rds downrange. No problems whatsoever, and very accurate. Another couple of 400-500 rd sessions with no problems and it will become my carry gun. I made the right decision by getting the compact. Talked to Kramer leather yesterday and they are making me an IWB, a vertical scabbard and a couple of mag pouches. Happy to see a major holster manufacturer building for these guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts