1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time I have wondered why Wilson changed the KZ-45s from the external extractor to conventional internal shortly before the KZ was discontinued. Also they discontinued the carry cuts on the KZ Compact about the same time. Just curious why the changes were made. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For a long time I have wondered why Wilson changed the KZ-45s from the external extractor to conventional internal shortly before the KZ was discontinued. Also they discontinued the carry cuts on the KZ Compact about the same time. Just curious why the changes were made. Thanks.
I called Wilson and asked a customer service representative the same question some time ago about the external extractor on the KZ platform. I was told that due to a differently configured 1911 magazine, Wilson initially had difficulties perfecting the internal extractor but was able get reliable functioning with an external extractor. After a period of time, they mastered the internal extractor design for this platform and made that change to the KZ line.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My KZ-45 Compact was completed in January, 2009 and was in the last batch of KZ-45s and it has the carry cuts.
My stainless KZ-45 Compact has the internal extractor, but not the carry cuts. I have seen photos of older Compacts with external extractor, and carry cuts. I assumed the cuts were discontinued before mine was built. Looks like I was wrong about that.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
In the end it took the same amount of time tweaking the external as the interna which was not anticipated , so we eventually switched back to internal to maintain a common part with the other 1911's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts