1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am new to the forum so if there is already a thread available on this I'd appreciate knowing.

I was pretty close to buying a KZ45 Compact but I found a March Review in 'Gun Tests' that mentioned "an increase in muzzle flip" and I wonder how the owners rate them?...and if I should get the 5" instead? :(

A little history:
-I've a Michigan CCW and carry aKahr PM9 in Summer and a Glock 27(40 S&W) in Winter. (On my slight bod!)...so...
-I want the Wilson mainly for home defense and range use but would like to be able carry occasionally (IWB).
-I've happily shot my Officer's Model for many years and only notice its recoil if not fired it for a while. Muzzle lift not a problem...However...
-I bought a Compact H&K USP40 but sold it in two weeks only because I did not like the muzzle lift. (I couldn't get burned twice...could I?)

Sooooo...given the above and that I have no way to try the gun beforehand, I'm leaning to the full size KZ for less muzzle lift and accepting some penalty in concealability...Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Can only comment on 5" KZ vs. all-steel Govt. Model.
My KZ has markedly mor flip than my other 1911's but it
snaps right back down. Splits are really no slower when doing
quick aimed pairs, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
HKs with that huge slide made out of a gigantic hunk of steel have always been top heavy to me with substantial muzzle flip. A KZ Compact is more balanced and recoils more similarly to a Glock 21 than an HK. I don't think anyone has ever characterized the KZ Compact's muzzle flip as excessive. I would even go as far to say that the flip is less than what you feel with your Officer's ACP.

As for referencing Gun Tests magazine, here is another. The December 2003 Gun Tests lists the KZ Compact in "The Best of '03: Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, Shotguns Worth the Money".

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used to have an HK USPc 45acp. Its' recoil was about the same as the KZ45c.

For me, the recoil from the fullsized KZ is certainly more than a steel 5", and the KZ Compact and the USP 45c recoil maybe another 10-15%. I am markedly faster (say 20-25% through 6 targets spread out 30yd deep by 25yd wide.) with my 5" steels than the polymers and the chopped polymers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't Quite Make a Wilson-This Time

Thanks to all for sharing your experience with me. I picked up a nice used Colt Lt Wt Commander and will keep my eye open for a used CQB compact.

I decided on these two after mulling everything over and belatedly realizing (if anyone is interested) that what I wanted was a gun to complement my Officer's Model. I already had a couple of good plastics for carry.

The Colt is a pretty gun. I know it is from a previous generation...but then so am I :) Already thinking about changing sights etc. etc. etc.
It only cost me $550.00, so I'm close to having enough for a nice CQB Compact to complete the trio. Should be fun looking.

Again thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts