1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a KZ45 and would like some feedback from owners that have these along with traditional style 1911s. I would be buying it as my primary shooter and have had most people tell me to buy a Kimber instead. I think that most people assume it isn't a good enough gun because it is their lowest priced unit, I find that hard to believe considering Wilsons reputation.

· Registered
601 Posts
I've got one. Aside from a slight blockier feel, it is all 1911. A much better gun than a basic Kimber. Won't be trading mine for a Kimber anytime soon. I'm not trashing Kimber. Got a Pro Carry I'm very happy with. It's simply not as well put together as my Wilson is.

· Registered
824 Posts
Originally posted by MrAngry:
I am considering buying a KZ45 and would like some feedback from owners that have these along with traditional style 1911s. I would be buying it as my primary shooter and have had most people tell me to buy a Kimber instead. I think that most people assume it isn't a good enough gun because it is their lowest priced unit, I find that hard to believe considering Wilsons reputation.
I don't know what it is, but a lot of people have this "Hunk of Steel" fetish. I have seen it all over the forums. If the frame and parts are not a "Hunk of Steel" it can't possibly be a good gun. That is a bunch of hooey.

The same thing happened to Glock when they first came out with their guns. Everyone called it Tupperware. Well, that Tupperware was the greatest handgun invention since the 1911.

If I am not mistaken, the Kimber Polymer and the Wilson Polymer frames are both made by Bul Industries of Israel. Wilson worked with Bul to modify the Kimber design to have a smaller grip circumference and utilize a 10 round mag instead of a 14 round mag.

Considering a Kimber Polymer is around $800 and 14 round mags cost $100 each, I'd say the Wilson is a great value for $200 more. Plus, you won't have to deal with the "New York" attitude if you ever need to contact Wilson. They do what ever it takes to make it right. No matter what.

· Registered
141 Posts
I have had my KZ for about 4 months now. I love it..I had the all "steel" fetish also, but I like the KZ more each time I shoot it. Not that a 45's recoil bothers me, but I feel the polymer absorbs some of the shock.
Great gun...I use it for IPSC shooting and use my CQB for IDPA.

· Registered
19 Posts
Had my stainless slide KZ45 since September,
already seen about 800 rds. I think it's a
great gun for the money, very tight slide to
frame fit for a kevlar/polymer framed gun,
not to mention very accurate. I own a Kimber
Gold Combat which I love as well but cost a
about $200 more than the Wilson. The Wilson
seems to be put together a little better
though.

· Banned
208 Posts
The KZ45 in all stainless is the only "carry" 1911 to catch my eye. I'm starting to pick up pop cans so that I can save up for one.

I own two Kimbers, a Classic and a SS Pro Carry. Both are great. But the KZ looks way better. Actually I'm pondering whether to stick with the full-size or go with the compact. Decisions, decisions.
Maybe I can deliver newspapers in the morning....

I'm pretty opinionated about finishes - if it isn't stainless then it is rust. There's something about my body sweat that is murder on pistols. Maybe if I bathe?

One more thing: If the KZ45 has a problem, Wilson will make it right and pay the shipping costs. Unlike Kimber.

Regarding cost: An injection molded frame is cheaper to make. Wilson is nice enough to pass this saving on to the customer to hit a very attractive price point.

------------------
Have a great day!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the biggest problem for me is that the basic model is the only one on the CA list, so ordering a stainless slide with ambi safety isn't even an option for me yet. I would have to wait for a used one to come along!
f%*king liberal politicians trying to save us from ourselves!!

· Registered
78 Posts
MrAngry
I think if you really like the Kz45 with stainless and ambi that you may be able to get one then send it back for a retrofit
I got my Kz then sent it back for my ambi. Fine handgun for the price excellent shooter

Irv

the biggest problem for me is that the basic model is the only one on the CA list, so ordering a stainless slide with ambi safety isn't even an option for me yet. I would have to wait for a used one to come along!
f%*king liberal politicians trying to save us from ourselves!!

[This message has been edited by Irv (edited 11-09-2001).]

· Registered
78 Posts
If your dealership has a gun smitty he can do it there after it arrives.Have it shipped in the WC case. I just ordered the KZ as priced with the ambi talked to WC and told them as soon as it arrives and I take possesion I would be sending it back for the ambi.
All went smooth.

Irv
Irv,
How much did it cost you for that? I had considered buying the safety and having it installed locally, but would rather let W.C. do it.

· Registered
2,944 Posts
Letting anyone other than Wilson 's work on your Wilson will void the warranty. You might be able to have the ambi. safety pre-fit at the factory and install it yourself during a "field strip". It would save you the $60 in shipping.

If you are a lefty and have to send it back, you might consider what I did w/my Protector: Since I'm a southpaw, I had them start w/the s/s #423 safety and cut the paddles to a mirror image of the #192 Tactical ambi. safety. I'm gonna have them do that to my WKZ-TT-SS.

As for how I like the KZ, its really a nifty pistol. Mine shoots one-hole groups, and I know I won't bend the front dust cover by dropping the frame on an oak bench and floor.
The front strap is a little blockier than the conventional 1911, but it feels nice to me. (I wear a size 7 glove.)

[This message has been edited by Andy (edited 11-11-2001).]

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got the wilson combat catalog today, the compact model is definitely the sh*t, too bad it isn't on the CA "list" You guys that live in the real U.S. better appreciate your government for letting you have the gun of your choice, and make room for the rest of us that are going to bail on this fu#*ked up state!
Joe

· Registered
1,534 Posts
MrAngry said:
I just got the wilson combat catalog today, the compact model is definitely the sh*t, too bad it isn't on the CA "list" You guys that live in the real U.S. better appreciate your government for letting you have the gun of your choice, and make room for the rest of us that are going to bail on this fu#*ked up state!
Joe
I spoke to some very very nice man from Wilson and he said that they probably aren't going to test the KZ compact in Californicator.

On the a lighter note, he said one of the DOJ guys was testing the CQB and liked it so much he called Wilson and wanted to buy one. The guy from Wilson said "Sorry, we don't ship guns outside of the United States."

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also spoke to someone at WC and they told me that originally they were told that if the base model of a gun passed the lab tests that the whole line of that model would be eligible to sell here. Turns out that wasn't true and it pissed Mr. Wilson off badly. Every different finish, and option on a handgun makes it a different gun in the eyes of this messed up state, they are going by specific model #s now for most manufacturers. I doubt that Wilson will certify any more guns here at all and I don't blame him!
Joe

· Registered
110 Posts
This is a really nice pistol. The only thing I would like to have seen is using the same magazines in both compact and full size since they didn't go the high cap route in the full size. I haven't checked if the 10rd fits the compact and just projects slightly or not. If that's the case that would work also. It would be great for anyone getting one of each to double their available magazine pool that way.

· Registered
722 Posts
I'm sure that Bill W. would realize the added value of interchangeable magazines from the full to the compact. However, Greg at WC seemed to indicate they might not. :(
Glock does it, but they don't have a magazine that tapers down to single stack width at the top.

If anyone has a definite answer, I'd appreciate a reply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.