1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way & products to use for this procedure? I was thinking of taking one of my 1911's apart and puting some type of polish or compound on the frame rails and working the slide on it to polish them out. What would be the correct procedure for this?

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
22,350 Posts
Don't do it.
On a complete working gun the only real effect would be to loosen the fit. Slide lapping is done as the last step of fitting a gun that is being assembled from new oversized or tightened up parts.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but rather than have to fire 1000 rounds through it to get the 'drag' out, would it not work to do this with a very loght polishing compond just to smooth out the slide? I have noticed that on some reliability packages that the custom gun makers offer, just wondering how i could do this myself.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
437 Posts
How many rounds have you fired through the gun? I'm no expert, but unless I was having SERIOUS reliability problems related to slide/frame fit, I wouldn't mess with lapping the slide to the frame until I had put at least 500 or so rounds through the gun. From what I hear and read on the forums, that seems to be the customary break in period for most 1911's.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I wouldn't waste the time,but if you really want to do it,oil the rails( and rest of course),rack the slide and dryfire(a snapcap will stay in the barrel if you pull the extractor out).This will also smooth out the rest of the gun at the same time.Forget the lapping or old toothpaste trick.It just wears things prematurely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts