1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Delta using the 40 cal, better than the 9mm.
That's not what he said, and they are using 9 mm.

Other former CAG guys have said that their 1911s had mods that LAV looked down upon. Seems like they had a reasonable freedom to have their guns customized.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Springfield needs to come out with the DELTA version based off of LAV’s input! It would sell!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
That's not what he said, and they are using 9 mm.

Other former CAG guys have said that their 1911s had mods that LAV looked down upon. Seems like they had a reasonable freedom to have their guns customized.
What did he say? I watched it again and he said that they went to 40s&w at the 38 minute mark.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
What did he say? I watched it again and he said that they went to 40s&w at the 38 minute mark.
What he said was that the unit went to .40S&W when they ditched 1911s. That was about 20 years ago.

What you said was

Delta using the 40 cal, better than the 9.
They have moved to 9 mm about 10 years ago, still Glocks, with both iron sights and slide mounted optic sights.

·
Registered
607 Posts
When you see Larry Vickers talk, he seems like such a likeable guy ... but he's been so inconsistent over the years as far as the pistols he's favored, gone back and forth so many times, and been a shill now for so many manufacturers... it just seems kinda hard to believe him, or trust what he's saying.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
but he's been so inconsistent over the years as far as the pistols he's favored
I've heard his stuff since '05 and I've trained with him a couple of times. To me he has been remarkably consistent. He likes guns, he favors duty grade pistols (and rifles) that work, and he has been buds with Bill Wilson.

Reactions: curtmini14

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah, uh, not sayin' you're wrong -- but since around '04 I've seen him go from the Beretta to the 1911 to the HK to the S&W M&P to the Glock. These are wildly differing platforms, to say the least. And -- he's put his name on several different products. What are we supposed to think? And so what if he's been friends with Bill Wilson (whom I do respect, I love his company and everything it's done)?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yeah, uh, not sayin' you're wrong -- but since around '04 I've seen him go from the Beretta to the 1911 to the HK to the S&W M&P to the Glock. These are wildly differing platforms, to say the least. And -- he's put his name on several different products. What are we supposed to think? And so what if he's been friends with Bill Wilson (whom I do respect, I love his company and everything it's done)?
I've not heard him say much good about or associate self with S&W MP, but other four are something that he's either been issued in the service or his famed unit used. Doesn't surprise me that he likes them all, especially that they are all good, proven duty guns. The last part is an explanation why he'd shill for WC over other 1911s out there, and WC doesn't make it too hard to shill for them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
So, Larry Vickers can’t like more than one gun brand and model?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Larry is a firearm trainer.
Trainers such as Larry, Ken Hackethorn, Massard Ayoob, generally carry what their training that week.
So if you have a bunch of Police that carry the Glock 17, most likely the trainer will carry a Glock17.
Massard was recently asked if he wasn't training and could carry what he wanted , he replied he would be quite happy with his lightweight Commander.

·
Premium Member
13,365 Posts
Good vid, I like Larry, very practical with his advise...I don't care how many guns/companies he puts his name on it is called capitalism and he has to eat also.;)

Interesting to hear him confirm what we know:
1) The differentiation btwn a "rack" 1911 vs a semi custom (say Kimber vs WC) has diminished quite a bit over the years...
2) That the 1911 is still the most accurate gun out there with the best trigger. I'll add, but the gap vs some poly's has also diminished over the years.
3) 1911's need oil! - LOL!
4) All other things equal, a heavier recoil spring makes for better reliability.
5) It is an "enthusiast gun" in todays world. This is somewhat subjective. I'd say he is directionally correct, but to what extent is arguable. One would first need to define what a "gun enthusiast" exactly is. If it means someone who is willing to oil their gun, I guess he is correct.:)

M.O.O., magazine capacity aside, I still say a fine 1911 is the best SD pistol on the market. 2011 suppose to solve the capacity issue, but in my experience only, they have not lived up to the robustness of the 1911 platform. (Mostly because of the magazines, which is strange given that most high-cap plastic guns with their high-cap magazines work fine).

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get your very own Vickers Tactical Aimpoint T2 for only $950 now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts