1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone every tried to one of the Lasers that are in or replace the guide rod in a 1911? IF there is such a thing. If there is, and you have, how did you actavate it and what did you think?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Lasers add a "WOW" factor but are mostly a movie thing. It is one more thing to have problems with (keeping batteries fresh, sighting it in every time you drop the gun, etc.). If you need a laser sight to get on target, it's probably too dark to be shooting anyway. - - Oh, that reminds me, many of the available lasers are not bright enough to be seen in direct sunlight.

If you are convinced you need one, try the ones mounted in the grip pannel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally I would only use a guide rod laser on a pistol with no other way to mount a laser. Go with Crimson Trace laser grips instead. They are easy to use, accurate, and very useful as both a training aid and in a number of self defense scenarios. I keep crimson Trace LG401 front activation one of my Government models and a LG404 with front activation switch on my Ultra Carry, and plan on the LG660 for my M&P and LG405 for my new J-Frame - gotta make those five shots count. I personally found the found the side activated LG300 series almost impossible to use.

On the training tool side they can you help learn trigger control while dry firing. They also can help identify and reduce tremble through range practice. But I have a firm rule of limiting practice time with the laser to no more than 10%. By the way the batteries last a good long time. You could probably get years of normal use, but I like to change them when I 'spring forward' my clocks.

They provide much more than a Hollywood "wow factor". Using them in a self defense situation just requires a wee bit of judgment in how they should employed. They are not for just waving around carelessly. However given any number of situations they are invaluable tools. Contrary to popular mythology found in most forums it's not a good idea to stand tall and take slow deliberate Clint Eastwood like aim while bullets wiz by. Being able place a red dot on target and squeeze while diving for cover has saved a few lives. The beauty of the laser is it allows a very fast very accurate first shot without waiting to align the sights. One of the advantages of the Crimson Trace system over the other laser aiming systems is that it truly is a no having to think about it instant on/off by simply tightening or loosening your grip design.

Scenario two... When fending off a bad guy and holding your weapon back out of reach it might be nice to have that little dot assure that lead will be hitting his body parts and not yours.

Living in California (no castle laws) it might be nice to have the option of lighting up what is probably an unarmed burglar (most are unarmed) and let the little red dot convince him to submit. Saving cleaning brains off the wall and ugly legal entanglements.

Lastly (not for the faint of heart) for the husband (or wife) that actually loves the spouse being held as a human shield by a bad guy. Not only is a red dot on the forehead likely to elicit a "holy crap I'm letting her go" reaction, but in a worst case it might be nice to put a red dot on target before squeezing the bang button. I'm certainly not surrendering my weapon and my old eyes don't focus on the front sight as well as I'd like anymore. And blowing off her right ear while taking out the BG isn't going to make her happy.

What they are not for is extended Hollywood style running gun battles in the fog.

Bottom line, I highly recommend installing Crimson Trace grips on all self defense pistols that will accept them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Crimson Trace laser grips are pretty nice but like it was mentioned before. You really don't NEED them. I like that they r there and all but would I go out and put them on another gun Probably not. My Kimber just happened to come w/ them, but check them out they r pretty cool, and if, if, if you get them zero on they shoot pretty good. JOE>

P.S. 2" groups @ 25 yds. is zero good enough for me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You don't need a spare magazine if there are less than 8 bad guys and you never ever miss. You don't need sights out to about 10 feet. You don't need a Wilson Combat CQB when a cheap 38spl will get you out of most life threatening situations. And you don't need have a laser until you need it. All are tools that you can do without until you need them and then it seriously sucks when you finally do and they aren't there.

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Ask the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan if they think lasers aren't worth anything.
I have 3 sets of Crimson Trace. Two of them, I didn't have to adjust the aimpoint. The one set that needed adjustment was easily done in less than 5 shots.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Just like Ricky T, I also have three CT grips, two 1911's and the S&W642.

I don't use them as sights, but as additional "aiming aids", when I can't use the gun's sights, or shooting from behind cover - looking for the dot.

If I should ever have to use my gun for self defense, I'll cheat to win.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
the grip mounted lasers (crimson trace) are accurate because you can adjust them. you can't adjust the laser max can you? I guess that would make "grip mounted" more accurate, My Army issued M9 had crimson traces on it in Iraq. we'll just say they were zeroed and plenty accurate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the opportunity to show several customers the Crimson Trace laser sights found on the Kimber. I found that while showing them, I had a tendency to block the path of the laser with my trigger finger as I rested it on the frame of the gun. This is the normal position, for me, when I am holding the pistol but not ready to fire.

Additionally, when most customers find out the price, they loose interest very quickly. We have only sold one set of Crimson Trace sights in the 5 months I have been working there.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I haven't a lot of experience with these, but have noted a tendency for people who use these on the range to point the gun in the vague direction of the target and then start hunting for the little red dot.

They were great for illustrating one guy's terrible flinch. Could see that dot dive down and left before each shot. He couldn't, since his eyes were shut...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have had the opportunity to show several customers the Crimson Trace laser sights found on the Kimber. I found that while showing them, I had a tendency to block the path of the laser with my trigger finger as I rested it on the frame of the gun. This is the normal position, for me, when I am holding the pistol but not ready to fire.
When used properly this is a non-issue. The laser is not for waving around pointlessly it's there to to confirm POI when you're ready to pull the trigger. What I see here is strictly a training issue. Perhaps if you took a class in night combat that included lasers and passed along what you learned CT sales would go up at your shop.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Who am I?

Cowboy1,

For real tactical reasons, the first thing I do with a 1911 is change out that stupid full length recoil guide with a standard one. A Lasergrip laser is a tactical tool, there if you need it, out of the way if you don't.

A Lasermax would take the place and all of the room of a full length recoil guide. It would also carry it's tactical disadvantages

I have carried my Kimber with my CTC lasergrips since around 1999. I twisted the lens out cleaning it after 3 or 4 years and got the finest. most personal and immediate customer service I have ever recieved. Those grips are still on my gold match, my primary weapon.

Thats nearly 10 year old technology and electronics. and they keep on working.

My grips are the old style and i would like the newer switch and maybe a green laser, but untill I buy new LaserGrips I will keep, and trust these.

Mike199, mine are worth every penny.

Laser1911

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ask the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan if they think lasers aren't worth anything.
I have 3 sets of Crimson Trace. Two of them, I didn't have to adjust the aimpoint. The one set that needed adjustment was easily done in less than 5 shots.
Well Being an infantry soldier currently in Iraq i dont have a strong opinion on lasers. Maybe its because we have them on our M4's, but im not a fan. They constantly have to be re-zeroed and stuff and from what I have seen it makes people not practice the fundamentals that are required with shooting thus causing them not being able to hit SH*T when the laser doesnt work because of the bad habits they have. but then again its just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it's show and tell time, here's my Pro CDP with CT grips, and adj Novak night sights.
Hello Guys,
I am new to the forum today. I bought my PT 1911 last February Cause of the price $499 at a local sporting goods store.... My question is I'm looking to buy either a internal Laser or Grip laser.. For the grip laser I'm look at http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/product.php?xProd=143&xSec=18 which says that there will need to be modifications to right hand side of ambidextrous safety. The Question is does anyone know what would need done and if these grips are worth the money or just to say forget it and not worry about either of the two types of lasers and just buy some rosewood grips and call it a day. Cause the internal seems to be only one company making that type of laser. If I am wrong can someone point me into the right direction.
Thank you,
Rob

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hello Guys,
I am new to the forum today. I bought my PT 1911 last February Cause of the price $499 at a local sporting goods store.... My question is I'm looking to buy either a internal Laser or Grip laser.. For the grip laser I'm look at http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/product.php?xProd=143&xSec=18 which says that there will need to be modifications to right hand side of ambidextrous safety. The Question is does anyone know what would need done and if these grips are worth the money or just to say forget it and not worry about either of the two types of lasers and just buy some rosewood grips and call it a day. Cause the internal seems to be only one company making that type of laser. If I am wrong can someone point me into the right direction.
Thank you,
Rob
Crimson Trace grips are the shizz, but I wouldn't buy 'em from Kimber. Do some searching around, like on the gun auction sites or even Ebay. You can certainly beat that $369 price! I bought one set on Ebay for ~$260, and another set from a private seller for $155.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts