1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a feeding problem on my single stack .40 Anybody with experience on this bullet? Hows the amount of smoke? Leading of barrel? Feeding? Thanks!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Please dont take the non response to this as a slight. I know I have been too busy to get onto the computer this weekend. Having said that , I also think that this bullet style is too new for alot of people to have alot of experience with it.
The top selling point of this bullet is the rounded "hardball" ogive of the front of the bullet that will help insure postive feeding. I personally havent tried them yet, but Laser cast has an incredible reputation for really hard bullets, and good customer service. They will also send you a blister pack with some of the bullets so you can check them out. I would have to guess that the smoke would be the same as any other lead bullet. Give em a try and let us know what you think.
Also, the .40 can be finicky about overall length. In my sti high cap I run around 1.180 oal to keep pressures down. some folks freebore the bbl from the chamber so they can run the rounds 1.200. If your gun is set up properly, try the longest ola you can get to chamber/unchamber. The rule of thumb is the longer the rounds closer to 1.250(similar to .45 length)Good luck, DC

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pingun .45
Thanks for the reply. I got today the blisterpack of 40-1911. Ill load it and try them this weekend. BTW my OAL is 1.235 Thats the max lenght my mag can handle. The chamber of my barrel is lenghtened to max 1.245 so I still have allowance. The bullet I am using is west coast 180 and 200gr. One thing I notice on the edge of meplat of 200gr is its sharpness so it doesnt slide/bounce on the ramp. When I use the 180gr, the edge is rounder than the 200s and the feeding is better. This is the reason why I am leaning towards the more rounded profile of laser cast. Do you know of a jacketed 180gr or 200gr on the market? I am new to handloading so my resource is not that extensive yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check your measurements, if you are loading 1.235 you are over 10mm length. Standard .40 specs say not to load over 1.135. I am loading 1.190 in my single stack 40 and limited gun with no feeding problems. Could also be a mag problem. My .02 cents

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would suggest since you have your bbl lead extended I would try loading rounds out to 1.200 OAL. This will give you the length you want and lower pressure. The reason people do this is so they can run a faster burning powder with the bullets with less pressure for a "softer" impulse of the round. I really wouldnt recommend this if you are just starting out. The overall length might help with reliability, but every gun is different.
Last year I tried loading rounds to different OALs in my STI.40 and found that the overall length was not as big a factor as the powder selection. Good luck, DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pingun,
What is your OAL for the Trojan? May I try your current OAL for the .40? BTW my SS is also a Trojan. I like the feel of that gun, so I am thinking of ordering another one. I also have a DS Edge (again in .40) that I use for Limited. The edge digest any OAL without hiccups but this Troj (GRRRRRRR). Oh well, Im not giving up. It improved my reloading time though because everytime I got a jam Im forced to reload.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Although I haven't used this bullet style, I've used other styles for my 10mm in the past. As far as the smoke issue, I think LC bullets smoke the least of any commercial cast bullets I've tried.

I'm of the opinion that their bullets are too good for the .45, but worthwhile for 1000+ FPS performance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
P14, knock yourself out with the OAL. Man, nothing cranks you off more than a gun that aint running! I would try some different OALs, load up dummy rounds and hand cycle them through the gun. I tried oal of 1.135 regular length and my 1.180 oal with the same powder charges with weveral powders. Difference was about .02gr of powder with NO accuracy change at 50 ft. benchrest.
Now, I am wondering if your feeding problem is gun related? Does regular 1.135 oal .40 rounds function 100% in your gun? If not you will need to check your extractor tension and your recoil and magazine springs. Believe it or not, ext. power mag springs will screw up your gun when you are shooting light loads, been there done that! Lots of variables. If the gun runs with factory ammo 100%, then you will have to tune the gun(ie. springs). Another thing to look at is the profile of the bullet. Some are more feed reliable than others. Lots of things to play with. Good Luck, hope some of this helps. DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts