1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for opinions on using laser sights on pistols for self/home defense.

I currently use night sights on my carry pistol and I was thinking about mounting a CTLS on it. I want to hear others experiences with this type of setup.

Mainly wonder if this would be a good option for when you have been a sleep, you're not awake and/or your eyes are not fully adjusted in different lighting situations, etc?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
To me anything that helps make accurate hits under stress is a good thing. I've had Crimson Trace grips on my want list for a while now.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The first mod I did on my new Ruger SR1911 (which will be my HD gun) was to add a Crimson Trace laser grip. At 68 years old, my eyes don't work as well as they used to and I shoot much better using the laser.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Some people do not like the Laser sights. I can see where they are potentially beneficial and I have the on a couple of my handguns. The CT grips work well on my J-frame.

·
Registered
805 Posts
In daytime and low light, I can acquire the target and deliver a good shoot faster without the laser using night sights. No matter if you use a laser or not, you need a good tactical flashlight and practice with it.

Lasers do have the advantage of being able to shoot from awkward positions.

I put CTC lasers on my first 2 carry guns (S&W 642 and M&P 9c), but not on my third and latest (Defender).

If you get a chance to train at night with weapons, do it. It is a humbling experience. It is a lot harder than in the movies. I learned much from the several no light training classes on what worked for me.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
They are an excellent option but you don't want to get totally dependent on them, anything with batteries and electrical components can fail. It's important to practice and maintain your skills with sights also.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As we all know, nothing is beyond failure or foolproof.

Even standard sights can break, come out of adjustment, or yes; even a fool can mess up:rofl:

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
They won't fix bad fundamentals. But, they are an extra tool in the toolbox that used as part of, instead of in place of, doing things properly they can be a real asset. They are an augmentation, not a replacement of for anything.

One thing a lot of folks overlook is their value in dry fire training. Yeah, I know I sometimes sound like broken record on that. It still remains that if you use a laser sight as a training aid you can see what you are doing after the hammer/striker falls which tells you where your shot is really going. With a DA revolver they can really help you develop a smooth, fast, and continuous pull through that puts the gun right back in place after each shot.

I was very pleasantly surprised after I'd picked up a used Taurus M85 w/CT grip. I did some DA dry fire using the sights and sighting on a spot on the wall and sort of keeping a peripheral eye on where the laser dot from start to finish on several DA actions. I already knew I'd been doing well with live fire DA with revolvers at the 7 yard line. The laser as a training aid showed me why. Cycling in a smooth, fast DA mode the dot stayed in a tight area shot after shot. Follow through and focus. Shooting both eyes open as I usually do allowed me to see the dot even though at the short distance in the room it wasn't POA with the sights.

Being able to see and correct trigger and follow through issues in dry fire is a very good thing. When you stop chasing the light and your sights and put your mental focus on your target, while your visual focus is on the front sight, and feeling that moment for each shot you settle down and start bringing things to center.

Good training aid. Good for some very real potential situations. Nice if you're coming up out of sleep and the goblin is at the bedroom door and your glasses are on the night stand. Not good as a means to make up for gun handling issues that need to be corrected. Not a replacement for sights and technique. Just an augment.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't like/use them.

I never found ANY units durable enough for duty use. They can be bumped out of adjustment VERY easily.

More importantly, it takes your focus off the front sight.

As stated, I MUCH prefer to use a flashlight.

Of course, duty use and HD are two different scenarios.

·
Administrator
74,060 Posts
You really need to try them and see if they help or not. Personally I find a mounted flashlight works better, as it lights up the target nicely as well as blinds said target when you aim it in their face. Like lhawkins said, night shooting is a lot different than normal range practice and it would really be beneficial to attend a night shooting class if you can find one locally. I did about 15 years ago, and I found that tritium night sights have a certain lighting range where they work best. If it's too dark your eyes have a bad habit of focusing on the tritium lamps since they're naturally drawn to any light they can find, and if the intruder is just a dark shadow in the room you can easily lose track of him. I found that nothing beats a good flashlight, even a separate one that you hold in your non-gun hand.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Have one on my j-frame.Want to get one for the KC.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Personally I find a mounted flashlight works better,
I never found ANY units durable enough for duty use.
Why not both? I have used the EOTech/Insight WL-1AA and Surefire X400 Ultra (both integrated light + laser) and have found both to be useful and sturdy. Also agree that these are not substitutes for good fundamentals.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I've never used the laser grips but the X400 is rock solid. I haven't see it yet but I've heard that there will be or is an X400 Ultra with a green laser.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Mainly wonder if this would be a good option for when you have been a sleep, you're not awake and/or your eyes are not fully adjusted in different lighting situations, etc?
I avoid shooting in my sleep
I can't see even a green laser thru my eyelids and my snoring always gives my position away..:grumble::p

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My Kimber Ultra Carry came with a set of crimson trace grips. I had never used a laser until this one. In close range reactionary scenerios where every milisecond counts or you are so close you cant fully extend your arm out the laser is amazing. Eyes on target, laser on target shoot, withdraw to increase distance, obtain a proper stance and reassess. It is really easy to say front sight front sight front sight but I've been doing this weapons training business for both the military and civilian police for 20 years now and the first thing that goes out the window is the front sight. A little force on force simmunition training will prove that. Now imagine that same threat so close it can grab you and Id wager there are 10 people total on this whole forum that would still stubbornly refuse to say the laser is a benefit.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Why not both? I have used the EOTech/Insight WL-1AA and Surefire X400 Ultra (both integrated light + laser) and have found both to be useful and sturdy. Also agree that these are not substitutes for good fundamentals.
I simply have not found a unit - rail or grip mounted - that could take a good whack and remain sighted-in. And I've used them all at one time or another.

Again as I mentioned, HD use is totally different than my application however, and the robustness is not as critical.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
IMHO lasers or rail mounted lights are a "shoot me here" sign. Lights draw bullets like a tax increase draws Democrats. Handheld light held away from your body if you MUST use a light is a more survivable option

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
IMO this is really preference

I prefer a light on the rail for HD

My wife prefers a laser for her HD wep

·
Registered
802 Posts
Its best to have a good light and laser combo for HD, on a good rail equipped pistol or shotgun. The best on the market are the streamlight tlr-2g $280 , its green laser can be seen very far away.

The tlr1 series is also pretty good and only around a $125 for a light and red laser combo.

For carry a built in laser or the wrap around front ones, are best, as on on LC9 etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looking for opinions on using laser sights on pistols for self/home defense.

I currently use night sights on my carry pistol and I was thinking about mounting a CTLS on it. I want to hear others experiences with this type of setup.

Mainly wonder if this would be a good option for when you have been a sleep, you're not awake and/or your eyes are not fully adjusted in different lighting situations, etc?[/QUOTE]

Add to the above, the fact that I don't need to fumble around to find my glasses, and the easy answer is YES to all of the above. Just stick with a quality brand like the Crimson Trace laser grips.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts